Scooter on Celebrity Equinox Non Accessible Cabin

helen haywood

Message added by CCHelp

Two topics have been merged into one so that members may help the OP with her question about Celebrity cabins.

I've previously posted that I have a moon boot and I was going to get a knee scooter for our upcoming cruise.  Well, just tried a trial run with the knee scooter and it wasn't at all the easy breezy experience I'd hoped.  Still may use it....but started thinking maybe I should rent a regular scooter.  I remember someone posting a picture of the I thought I remembered three wheeled scooter that easily fit in their cabin....could anyone give me some advice about what type of scooter takes up the least room in a non-accessible cabin?

What size cabin are you in? It would be very difficult to fit even the 3 wheel scooter into a standard cabin. Some of the insides have extra room and you could squeeze a scooter into a standard suite sized cabin. However, a standard inside, oceanview or veranda cabin will be too small and you are not permitted to leave the scooter in the hallway. 

I’ll have to call Celebrity tomorrow.  I’m getting conflicting information.  Special Needs at Sea’s website makes it sound as though a basic scooter would fit in a non accessible cabin on Equinox.  But then people have posted the opposite.  People have said X would store it for me but surely they can’t do that for all scooters.  Unfortunately our cabin has the bed by the bathroom and I honestly don’t see how a scooter could fit.  Sigh.

I may just have to go with Plan B which is don’t walk much on the boot and elevate and ice the ankle as much as possible.  I’ll post back what I hear from Celebrity.

15 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I've previously posted that I have a moon boot and I was going to get a knee scooter for our upcoming cruise.  Well, just tried a trial run with the knee scooter and it wasn't at all the easy breezy experience I'd hoped.  Still may use it....but started thinking maybe I should rent a regular scooter.  I remember someone posting a picture of the I thought I remembered three wheeled scooter that easily fit in their cabin....could anyone give me some advice about what type of scooter takes up the least room in a non-accessible cabin?

It’s the door width that’s the issue, they do vary between cruise lines, so for a regular cabin you need to check the actual width of the door versus the width of the scooter, keeping in mind how easy it might be to turn in from the corridor.  I have a Travelscoot, mine is 52cm wide and it was great on our last cruise, it got past trolleys in corridors (by a narrow margin) and no problems in the cabin. I do usually get an accessible cabin for bathroom reasons, but the Travelscoot would fit in most standard cabins, mine is 1m x 52cm.

I have to warn you, once you’ve used a scooter on a cruise you won’t like going back to hobbling around the ship with sticks or a walker.

OK, I called Celebrity's Access Department.  The man I spoke to assured me that the scooter would fit in my 1A non accessible cabin even though the bed is by the bathroom.  I can't picture it myself but if Special Needs At Sea and Celebrity are telling me it would work then I guess I should believe them.  The dimensions of the scooter are 41"x21"x36".  It would seem to me that the scooter would fit through the door of the cabin but as it can't go past the bed it would be stuck in the entrance....making it impossible to get in the bathroom.

I am thinking about renting a scooter (dimensions 41"x21"x36") on Celebrity Equinox.  I am in a non accessible cabin.  I have recently gotten a walking boot but have been really staying off of the foot and am worried about all the walking on the ship.  (We don't plan to get off the ship.)  I know our cabin has the bed by the bathroom configuration.  I have called Celebrity's Access Department and they said a scooter would fit in the cabin.  I just can't picture there being enough room at the entrance to the cabin to park the scooter and still be able to open the bathroom door.  It will not fit around the foot of the bed.  Has anyone had a scooter on an S Class ship with the bed by the bathroom configuration?

I apologize for posting several threads on this question but I realized the more specific information I give the better help any responses will be.

Edited by helen haywood

I had a cabin on the Eclipse which had this configuration, and had my Pride go go scooter with me [41" x 19.5"] and i kept it pushed right up to the cabin door, we could still access the bathroom, but not able to completely open the bathroom door.  You should be able to manage ok the rest of the cabin is very roomy.  If you still think you will struggle you could always see if you can change to a cabin with the bed by the balcony you would have no problem at all then 

On 1/10/2020 at 10:12 AM, helen haywood said:

OK, I called Celebrity's Access Department.  The man I spoke to assured me that the scooter would fit in my 1A non accessible cabin even though the bed is by the bathroom.  I can't picture it myself but if Special Needs At Sea and Celebrity are telling me it would work then I guess I should believe them.  The dimensions of the scooter are 41"x21"x36".  It would seem to me that the scooter would fit through the door of the cabin but as it can't go past the bed it would be stuck in the entrance....making it impossible to get in the bathroom.

Last year we booked an Equinox cruise with no insurance (I know, I know). I broke my leg about 30 days before the cruise. I called Scootaround and they delivered a scooter to my non-accessible cabin. It was waiting and charged for me in when we got there. My husband had to back it in each night for me, but for the most part it was a breeze. During the day I even left it in the hall outside my cabin for short stops. My only recommendation is to make sure you take the key when you park it. I even drove it to Senior Frog's in Cozumel!