Question for Copper 10-8 - Disembarkation Time

18 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Hello - we are sailing on the Oosterdam - due to disembark on March 7, 2020 - trying to decide if we should attempt to catch a 9:50 AM  Flight home 

We are Neptune Suite passengers - so should be able to get off first - and we can self'disembark with our luggage - no other ships in that port that morning 

How quickly are the dis-embarkations going now - and what about the "speed" of customs, etc.?

What is your recommendation ?

THANKS 

Howdy Dog walker in Green Valley (cool name)

To answer your very valid question 😉 - and I just saw it yesterday for the first time, so apologies for my slowness in responding to you, the disembark in San Diego from the Oosterdam one week ago today was a breeze. We were, like you will be, NL passengers with a Yellow Group One disembark code (unlike you will be doing, we did not haul our own luggage), so our window for leaving the ship was from 8:45 through 10:00 AM. After a leisurely breakfast (hours 0630-0830 in the PG), we wound up disembarking at 0915 hrs.

Luggage was waiting for us in the designated area and plenty of HAL contract ground/shore ops staff pointing you in the right direction. U.S. CBP had four officers manning podiums near the exit and nowadays, with no longer a requirement for customs declaration forms, all that contact entailed was a glance at our passports (no scanning/no elec fingerprint verification, no questions). We were outside in less than five minutes, followed by a short walk to the "central pick up/drop-off area' where there were plentong cabs/ubers/lyfts/rideshare/airport and parking lot vans circulating. Unlike you, we were not going to San Diego Int'l Airport/Lindbergh Field but to Park 'n Fly Lot 3 off Pacific Hwy. We were on the road/northbound Interstate Five by 10:00 AM and, after an obligatory stop at Old Towne (El Centro Artesano for the child bride), followed by a cup of foofoo at Starbucks, made it to the homestead in one hour and fifty five minutes without being stopped by the fine state traffic officers of the CHP 😉

The first P/A announcement by cruise and travel director Betty  was around 0800 hrs, and that was for "independents" humping their own belongings. With that, a 0950 flight departure (0925 start of boarding) from Lindbergh would cause a heavy dose of anxiety for us after such a relaxing cruise.

The cab ride from the B Street cruise terminal to the departure hall at the airport can be as short as 10 minutes however, there is no way of telling ahead of time how long the lines for check-in and TSA security are/will be.  So my recommendation would be to get a later flight. Enjoy Oosterdam, her crew and the Mexican Riviera! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Howdy Dog walker in Green Valley (cool name)

To answer your very valid question 😉 - and I just saw it yesterday for the first time, so apologies for my slowness in responding to you, the disembark in San Diego from the Oosterdam one week ago today was a breeze. We were, like you will be, NL passengers with a Yellow Group One disembark code (unlike you will be doing, we did not haul our own luggage), so our window for leaving the ship was from 8:45 through 10:00 AM. After a leisurely breakfast (hours 0630-0830 in the PG), we wound up disembarking at 0915 hrs.

Luggage was waiting for us in the designated area and plenty of HAL contract ground/shore ops staff pointing you in the right direction. U.S. CBP had four officers manning podiums near the exit and nowadays, with no longer a requirement for customs declaration forms, all that contact entailed was a glance at our passports (no scanning/no elec fingerprint verification, no questions). We were outside in less than five minutes, followed by a short walk to the "central pick up/drop-off area' where there were plenteous cabs/ubers/lyfts/rideshare/airport and parking lot vans circulating. Unlike you, we were not going to San Diego Int'l Airport/Lindbergh Field but to Park 'n Fly Lot 3 off Pacific Hwy. We were on the road/northbound Interstate Five by 10:00 AM and, after an obligatory stop at Old Towne (El Centro Artesano for the child bride), followed by a cup of foofoo at Starbucks, made it to the homestead in one hour and fifty five minutes without being stopped by the fine state traffic officers of the CHP 😉

The first P/A announcement by cruise and travel director Betty  was around 0800 hrs, and that was for "independents" humping their own belongings. With that, a 0950 flight departure (0925 start of boarding) from Lindbergh would cause a heavy dose of anxiety for us after such a relaxing cruise.

The cab ride from the B Street cruise terminal to the departure hall at the airport can be as short as 10 minutes however, there is no way of telling ahead of time how long the lines for check-in and TSA security are/will be.  So my recommendation would be to get a later flight. Enjoy Oosterdam, her crew and the Mexican Riviera! 

Thank You for all the information !

We have a back-up plan (noon flight on American - with a 4 hours lay-over in Phoenix) so are going to just play it by ear -

we don't  usually stress over things like this - it will be what it will be

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

.....We were on the road/northbound Interstate Five by 10:00 AM and, after an obligatory stop at Old Towne (El Centro Artesano for the child bride), followed by a cup of foofoo at Starbucks, made it to the homestead in one hour and fifty five minutes without being stopped by the fine state traffic officers of the CHP 

😉

So far, nuth’n from the FAA?😉

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am guessing there are a lot of planes you don't fly, as they have all had crashes. Well, maybe not the 787 family. But 777, 747, 767, 757, etc.

I have flown the DC10, the707,727,737,747,757, 767, 777. The wide body Air Bus, the old Convair 880, the DC9, the MD 11 and al; versions of the 737 except the Max 8 and Max 9. I have not had the opportunity to fly the 787 but I would do it.

41 minutes ago, Himself said:

I have flown the DC10, the707,727,737,747,757, 767, 777. The wide body Air Bus, the old Convair 880, the DC9, the MD 11 and al; versions of the 737 except the Max 8 and Max 9. I have not had the opportunity to fly the 787 but I would do it.

Of course I would as well. Boeing gave my sweet husband and I a wonderful career and I have flown on every Boeing aircraft out there. My husband retired Army flew helicopters, then Apache's for Army, then Boeing. No fear flying...

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:49 AM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

The whole 737 MAX thing was supposed to be solved by now. If I remember correctly, the planes were grounded for a period of time; and then grounded again for another period of time, etc. Southwest has the most number of these planes so I assume the airline was hoping these planes would be flying sometime soon.

According to Wikipedia, the grounding in the US has been continuous since March 13, 2019.  I agree that the airline was keeping it's fingers crossed that the problem would be corrected in time.  What's the expression?  Failing to plan is a planning to fail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX_groundings