Pocket knife

gwcruzer

We Are going on an Alaska cruise and then spending a week on land.  My husband would like to have a pocketknife on the land portion.  I know we can pack the knife in our checked luggage. Does anyone know if Princess will let in go through their security in checked luggage?

thanks in advance- Gail

2 minutes ago, gwcruzer said:

We Are going on an Alaska cruise and then spending a week on land.  My husband would like to have a pocketknife on the land portion.  I know we can pack the knife in our checked luggage. Does anyone know if Princess will let in go through their security in checked luggage?

thanks in advance- Gail

Prohibited..........

• Knives with a blade over 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) or ½ inch at widest point. This includes bladed weapons, sharp pointed weapons, daggers, sabers, swords, axes, ice axes, hatchets, straight razors (shaving safety razors are allowed), razor blades not in a cartridge, box cutters, ice picks, meat cleavers and utility knives.
  • Concealed bladed weapons such as belt buckles knives, cane and umbrella knives/swords, pen knives and credit card knives.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I carry a small Swiss Army Knife. The very small type. I put it in checked luggage. When I carry it ashore I put it in my backpack when returning to the ship. Never had a problem.

I have taken on my large Swiss Army knife on almost every cruise since around 2009 when I got it and never had a problem.

7 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

I have taken on my large Swiss Army knife on almost every cruise since around 2009 when I got it and never had a problem.

I used to take my very large Swiss Army Knife as well. I carried it in my Dopp Kit in order to use the cork screw. These days I simply carry a good cork screw instead. It weighs less and does a better job of opening our wine. I normally have a small Leatherman as well but I'm going to replace it with a larger Leatherman I have as it includes pliers whereas the small one doesn't. For the most part things of this nature pass through unscathed as long as they are in carry-on luggage and aren't brandished about the ship.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

I used to take my very large Swiss Army Knife as well. I carried it in my Dopp Kit in order to use the cork screw. These days I simply carry a good cork screw instead. It weighs less and does a better job of opening our wine. I normally have a small Leatherman as well but I'm going to replace it with a larger Leatherman I have as it includes pliers whereas the small one doesn't. For the most part things of this nature pass through unscathed as long as they are in carry-on luggage and aren't brandished about the ship.

Love that term - brandish.☠️

And once you are on the ship, you can brandish a steak knife from the MDR! 😉

I carry a small Swiss Army knife with scissors and a cork screw, plus a small leatherman, in my small tool kit that goes in my checked luggage.  It also contains a small tube of super glue, a small roll of duct tape, and a small tube of WD40.  If it moves and is not supposed to - duct tape.  If it doesn't move and is supposed to - WD40. 

Just an old Boy Scout being prepared.

• Like 1

I always pack a Leatherman in my checked bags.

Been taking it for years as well and never had an issue.

In Nov upon boarding the Sky in Civitavecchia, Rome I had mistakenly put it in my carryon when I rearranged bags at the hotel.

They found it in the terminal/security/xray. I pled my case and surprisingly he gave it back to me.

99% of the time it would have been taken. 

I always have a full-sized Leatherman in my small travel tool kit,, as well as a Ken Onion Kershaw pocket knife.  I pack them in my checked luggage, and never have had an issue. 

I do not bring my Kershaw ashore, though, which makes me feel naked!  Because otherwise, if I am dressed, I have it with me.

A pocket knife is an essential componant to many peoples EDC. Cruising should not change this. If you have carried a daily knife for years you will like me have a drawer or a basket full of low to mid range pocket knives.  My cruise ship practice is to bring on as many of these knives as I have ports I have. Initially getting them on the ship is not the issue. Just place them in your checked luggage (100% success rate so far).

When coming back on board from port, I just leave it in my pocket. 80% of the time it makes it aboard without issue. The other 20%of the time it gets confiscated. Once back in the cabin I place another one in my pocket and go on with my day. On the final night I get a letter telling me where to pick up my confiscated items when I disembark. Lather, rince, repeat with each voyage.