Marina, When is the next overhaul ?

ChappChapp

I always wonder about people who find any of the ships needing an overhaul ... because we've never felt that way.  Oceania is meticulous in upgrading the soft as well as the hard on a regular basis.  BUT ... if you think it's looking tatty, I guess it is ... at least to you, if not to me.

Heck, we moved into our coop apartment in December 1980 which had been recently renovated (it was originally two separate apartments which the previous owner duplexed) ... we did some work when we first moved in, but not much since then!  So my eyes are probably different from many others ...  But even I admit that our kitchen now needs some work ...

Mura

• Like 1

While I still thought it looked great I noticed that maintenance on board Riviera is not as ongoing and detailed as I've noticed in years past. Still nice, and by no means shabby. 

While we were on Marina in December, I noticed they did the following maintenance tasks:  Re-varnished all the handrails, upper and lower, of the Grand Staircase and the handrails on the upper and lower pool deck.  Two huge metal sculpture/dividers were sanded down to the bare metal and re-finished, the pool bar was completely sanded down and re-varnished.  

That said - the soft goods really need to be replaced, and showed a lot of wear, particularly in Horizons

Yes, I understand that the Marina is to get a thorough upgrade, this Spring, similarly to the Riviera.

And, I do think this is probably due.

I haven't checked the sailing dates to see exactly when she will be out of service and in dry-dock.  But, understand that this will happen soon.

On the Riviera It appears that carpets, drapery, bedding, furniture and upholstery were all done.  

There is a recent video on youtube by a travel agent that mentions this in detail.

I am not sure about this travel agent?  But the video is very good!

I am hoping this is all true, as we are considering the Marina for next year!

I am a person who notices this kind of thing, and like my hotels/ships to be more fresh and new.

I also am glad to hear that the food on Marina is not getting the questionable reviews that maybe a couple of the smaller ships have been getting.   The ship, and the person/people in charge of food and dining, can make a real difference.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thanks for the replies. Yes I see the same break in late April right after the trans Atlantic. I always feel the ships are beautifully maintained so was somewhat surprised at my friends opinion . It is amazing what they can do in a short period of time. Don't think I would want to be on the voyage just prior to though. JMO We will be aboard in July/ August so I will see for myself.

34 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Okay, I think I am seeing a break from April 22 to May 1.

I wonder how much they can renovate in that timeframe?

1 hour ago, schmerl said:

We are on the Marina in July so it should all be great. 

Keep in mind given the time constraint and ongoing maintenance as described above I would guess any improvement will be as needed and mostly limited to public spaces where wear is the most evident.

Does anyone remember how long the Riviera was in for Reno?

I believe they replaced carpeting in the cabins, etc...

A pretty thorough overhaul !

Hoping for the same for the Marina.

The age and condition of the two ships would be the same, at the time of refurb.

On our last cruise, the ship was, I think, about 5 years old.  

The carpeting in our cabin REALLY showed it.

7 hours ago, ChappChapp said:

Don't think I would want to be on the voyage just prior to though

..or the first one after.

On occasion they start the work towards the end of the last cruise and if not finished during refurb, continue into the first cruise after.

Edited by Paulchili