Credit Card Currency conversion 'mistakes' by Azamara

DaveA

More often than not Azamara has ignored my preference to have my onboard account charged to my credit card in USD. Instead they convert it to my credit card currency at a lower rate than credit card companies use thereby making a little extra profit for themselves.

If it had just happened once I would attribute this to human error, but as it has happened a number of times it makes we wonder whether it is in some way systemic, or encouraged staff behaviour. I am interested to hear whether other non-US folk have had the same experience.

If you aren't familiar, it's a box tick choice on the form you complete specifying which credit card you will use to settle your onboard account.

Dave

Yes, our final account on Quest in October was charged in US$ rather than the requested £Stirling however as, due to lots of OBC, our final account was only a few dollars it wasn’t worth complaining about.

I am wondering if it’s down to the new online check in process following last year’s website “upgrades”. Having recently completed check in for an upcoming cruise in March when I fill in the credit card details there’s now nothing there to select the payment currency. As yet our boarding passes are not available so I don’t know  if there will be anything on there about currency selection.

Personally I would expect as the onboard account is in US$ the payment should be requested in that currency unless the customer requests otherwise, to do anything different is profiteering.

• Like 1

They always word the question a bit densely as well.  “Please check YES if you do not want us to not convert your bill to your home currency” or something equally impenetrable.  🤔 I don’t think I’d ever be quite sure I was ticking the right box.  I would also bet that the computer screen defaults to dynamic conversion, and the operator has to make an extra effort to change it.  If they overlook it, or forget, the default conversion stays in.

We always opt to be charged in USD and for our bank to do the conversion, as it tends to be the International bank rate, whereas Azamara’s is an inferior conversion rate. It is sometime since we were on Quest, but we have been on Journey 5 times in the last few years and never had a problem. We are on Quest in March, so we’ll see if maybe the problem is with Quest. It is obviously not a problem across all ships.

I always opt for my bank to do the conversion. Like Riocca our instructions haven’t always been followed but we didn’t always bother following up. I think the error comes about from a number of places including the port  check-in agent or the guest relations officer if it’s a back-to-back booking. Best thing get an account mid cruise you should be able to work out if it’s set up right based on what they say about converting on it. Trouble is sometimes I forget to do it and that’s always the time it goes wrong 

14 hours ago, uktog said:

I always opt for my bank to do the conversion. Like Riocca our instructions haven’t always been followed but we didn’t always bother following up. 

The same for us.  It has gone wrong on a few occasions but we never complained.  Our on board bill is never more than a few hundred dollars so our loss amounts to $10 or less. Not worth my time chasing. 

14 hours ago, uktog said:

I always opt for my bank to do the conversion. Like Riocca our instructions haven’t always been followed but we didn’t always bother following up. I think the error comes about from a number of places including the port  check-in agent or the guest relations officer if it’s a back-to-back booking. Best thing get an account mid cruise you should be able to work out if it’s set up right based on what they say about converting on it. Trouble is sometimes I forget to do it and that’s always the time it goes wrong 

Interesting. I always check my account on the interactive TV (or on the App on Pursuit) but I don't think you can tell what currency conversion option has been selected from these?

1 hour ago, DaveA said:

Interesting. I always check my account on the interactive TV (or on the App on Pursuit) but I don't think you can tell what currency conversion option has been selected from these?

You cannot on the tv. You need the paper printout 

9 hours ago, florisdekort said:

The same for us.  It has gone wrong on a few occasions but we never complained.  Our on board bill is never more than a few hundred dollars so our loss amounts to $10 or less. Not worth my time chasing. 

Here is the problem w your "not chasing" philosophy.  Add all the Azamara currency "mistakes" together and I will bet that it adds a good bit of total money for Azamara. 

Sort of like the crooks who worked for banks and programmed their bank software to take a few cents every month from every account and put it into their personal accounts.  Most of the few people who actually noticed it figured it was too much trouble to bother about it.  However, add a few cents per month from a lot of accounts and it adds up to real money.

DON

36 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Here is the problem w your "not chasing" philosophy.  Add all the Azamara currency "mistakes" together and I will bet that it adds a good bit of total money for Azamara. 

Sort of like the crooks who worked for banks and programmed their bank software to take a few cents every month from every account and put it into their personal accounts.  Most of the few people who actually noticed it figured it was too much trouble to bother about it.  However, add a few cents per month from a lot of accounts and it adds up to real money.

DON

I don't think this is malicious in any way, but just about everyone is better off when vendors DO NOT convert into another currency.  I was under the impression that this was pretty well known and something most do routinely at ATMs and stores.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I agree with sorting out problems at the time, even if they’re only for a small amount of money.  I’ll do that if I’ve underpaid, as well as overpaid.

But I would have a problem thinking that Azamara is purposely not doing as the customer has asked, when they were specifically given a choice, in order to create revenue.  I would not want to cruise on a line that I felt was intentionally and routinely cheating me out of a few dollars here and there.  I wouldn’t want to put my safety in the hands of crooks. I do believe that it is a case of a mistake rather than intent.

• Like 4

Same happened to me on Pursuit in October. I asked to be billed in USD and even checked with the officer in white at the time to make sure. We then got charged in GBP on the final statement. The problem with Pursuit is that having no interactive TV and an unreliable app is that you cannot double check anything without going to the desk. I really love Azamara but their technology, website, app and onboard tech is not fit for purpose. The guest should not have to keep double checking everything. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 3:01 AM, DaveA said:

On 1/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, DaveA said:

More often than not Azamara has ignored my preference to have my onboard account charged to my credit card in USD. Instead they convert it to my credit card currency at a lower rate than credit card companies use thereby making a little extra profit for themselves.

If it had just happened once I would attribute this to human error, but as it has happened a number of times it makes we wonder whether it is in some way systemic, or encouraged staff behaviour. I am interested to hear whether other non-US folk have had the same experience.

If you aren't familiar, it's a box tick choice on the form you complete specifying which credit card you will use to settle your onboard account.

Dave

So sorry we did not see you before disembarking . Really enjoyed our time with you and Margaret on the Pursuit. I don’t know how to private message , could not get an answer after researching Cruise Critic. Loved our two days in Iguazu . The falls and hotel were outstanding. It was the highlight of the trip and especially because it was our anniversary. Wishing you good travels. Lorraine 

We were on the Pursuit in November and Azamara also did the currency exchange instead of our credit card. It’s only a few £ that I’ve lost but it shouldn’t happen. Why ask how we want the currency to be converted, if they ignore our instructions. Actually I’m sure that a company is not allowed to set it’s own rate without our agreement.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, BBMacLaird said:

Indeed it was the case of human error on the part of very few. Extra training is taking place. Again, we apologize for the mis-coding.

Bonnie having checked in online for our March cruise on Quest there’s now nothing during entering credit card details to request whether you require the card to be charged in US$ or converted by Azamara to the currency of the card. Nor is there anything on the boarding pass to indicate your preference, so unless we are asked at check-in, and we’ve never been asked before, it would require a trip to Guest Relations to advise of our preference. So if it takes a conscious effort bu guests to change the default of Azamara charging for the currency conversion it does seem a little under handed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

Bonnie having checked in online for our March cruise on Quest there’s now nothing during entering credit card details to request whether you require the card to be charged in US$ or converted by Azamara to the currency of the card. Nor is there anything on the boarding pass to indicate your preference, so unless we are asked at check-in, and we’ve never been asked before, it would require a trip to Guest Relations to advise of our preference. So if it takes a conscious effort bu guests to change the default of Azamara charging for the currency conversion it does seem a little under handed.

I will inquire on Monday to see where we ask about your 'currency conversion' preference. 

11 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

I will inquire on Monday to see where we ask about your 'currency conversion' preference. 

Thank you Bonnie, I know that there’s a page in the quest ticket booklet regarding credit card details but we’ve never filled that out before.

13 hours ago, Riocca said:

We too are cruising on Quest in March and I am certain we were asked when entering our card details, how we wanted to be charged. However, to be absolutely certain, we will check with guest relations once onboard. 

13 hours ago, Riocca said:

Just checked in for our April cruise and this is currently the page In the UK for adding credit card details. There is a box  to tick or not as required. You are able to change details up to 3 days before departure so maybe worth logging in again and  amending.

B5E15A1F-7F4C-4F38-8419-686E8BD34AB3.png

9 minutes ago, combine said:

Just checked in for our April cruise and this is currently the page In the UK for adding credit card details. There is a box  to tick or not as required. You are able to change details up to 3 days before departure so maybe worth logging in again and  amending.

Thanks I’ve entered the cc card details at 3 different times but there was no check box but will have another look.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, combine said:

Very strange but this is the page I get and there’s definitely no check box.

D62F9FF1-585A-45A7-B820-0CDDE00A33D7.thumb.png.c0e84a9403bb827c95c9eacd133e9b93.png

Riocca

yes the page looks like that until you start to add CC details. Once my card details were added the tick box then showed. I have just gone back into the check in screen to amend and prove and thats exactly what happens. I presume it picks it up from CC details?

it remains to be seen if when we board  all is correct! When we boarded in October on Journey we were asked at check in, to confirm our instruction for CC payments.

good luck! 

2 hours ago, combine said:

Riocca

yes the page looks like that until you start to add CC details. Once my card details were added the tick box then showed. I have just gone back into the check in screen to amend and prove and thats exactly what happens. I presume it picks it up from CC details?

it remains to be seen if when we board  all is correct! When we boarded in October on Journey we were asked at check in, to confirm our instruction for CC payments.

good luck! 

Plot thickens, I tried again using the usual MasterCard, no check box but when I tried using a Visa Debit card the magic box appears, after that it appeared using the MasterCard. Obviously a glitch in the Azamara system, good thing from this it appears the default is to charge in the ships currency of US $’s unless the guest requests otherwise. Hopefully all will be well with the final account when we are on the ship.

Thank you for the information.