24 hours in Bermuda - What's good?

BillHoo

Last time I was in Bermuda was an Anthem cruise in May that got there 7:30 AM and left at 4:30 PM. 

Not much time to explore, but my wife and I took a bus from the wharf and went as far as Somerset Village as a Do It Yourself tour, rather than hop on a rushed package.  We explored a few shops and had ice cream and a refreshing drink at De Island Shack, then hiked back to the wharf.

Very picturesque scenes  along the way for snapping photos.  We explored local shops and groceries.  Stopped at Woody's for the best fresh fish sandwich, a Dark and Stormy made with the local Barrett's Ginger Ale and Goslings Dark rum.  At a local drug store, I bought a "Bermuda Cookie" for about $4 or $5.  It was a pink disc that could well have been made of pure sugar melted into a cookie shape.  It wasn't all that tasty.  I also picked up a six-pack of the ginger ale to bring back to the ship. 

We ended our adventure at the shops by the wharf.  As expected, it was a tourist trap, but we sent back some post cards to my nephew and niece who collect postmarks and stamps.  Picked up a bunch of pricey rum cakes that were OK in my opinion (think boxed cake mix made with extra butter and a sprinkling of rum) - I prefer a Jamaican Black cake.  But that's my two cents.

This time around, we are on Grandeur in October and it sails in at 2:30 PM and departs at 2:30 PM the next day.

Anyone have any DIY recommendations?  Last time we were there, we did not have any stomach real estate to try the local fish chowder.  We'd also be looking for a place that serves a high tea, or other local venue. 

Bermuda Bay2.jpg

Bermuda drink.jpg

Bermuda_Bay.jpg

Bermuda_Shack.jpg

Bermuda_Stargate.jpg

BermudaBay3.jpg

BermudaDrink2.jpg

Edited by BillHoo

I’ve visited Bermuda twice and on both trips we did an evening excursion that took us by boat out into the heart of the Bermuda Triangle.  After sailing several miles away from our cruise ship, we all went downstairs on the boat which had a glass bottom.  They turned off the overhead lights and we circled around a ship wreck from many years ago.

I enjoyed it so much that I did it twice.  If it’s still being offered,  I would do it again.

Edited by sellwingri

Bermuda is so beautiful it deserves to be the destination rather than just a port stop on a cruise.

I was going to recommend Heidi Cowens Bermuda Byways Tour but you won't be there for the full day tour.

Ask for help on the Bermuda forum as Bob recommended. Or better yet go to the Bermuda forum on Trip Advisor. There is a fellow in that forum who is most knowledgeable and helpful.

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 1

From your post, it seems that   may not be interested in having a beach day during your Bermuda stay. So, I have a few suggestions for you.

My DH and  I have visited thirteen times in the past thirty five years. Our visits have been on cruises and resort stays. We are so comfortable  there,we consider Bermuda to be our home away from home.

There are ferries at the Dockyard that will take you to Hamilton or St Georges.

Hamilton is the capital where there are shops,museums,a harbor front.The Fairmont

Hamilton Princess is a lovely hotel situated on the harbor. They may offer an afternoon tea.

St Georges is an historical town with a number of sites along with shops and restaurants. 

Trips to either city offer pretty scenery and interesting places so that a good part of the day is occupied.

You could return to the ship,relax a bit, then go out for a pleasant dinner. We recommend the Waterlot Inn, an historical inn that serves excellent (MHO) food in a lovely atmosphere. It is located down the hill from the Fairmont Southampton Princess. It is a restaurant enjoyed by visitors and local residents.

You could check out other restaurant recommendations for afternoon tea and dinner on Trip Advisor.

Enjoy your stay in Bermuda !

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

From your post, it seems that   may not be interested in having a beach day during your Bermuda stay. So, I have a few suggestions for you.

My DH and  I have visited thirteen times in the past thirty five years. Our visits have been on cruises and resort stays. We are so comfortable  there,we consider Bermuda to be our home away from home.

There are ferries at the Dockyard that will take you to Hamilton or St Georges.

Hamilton is the capital where there are shops,museums,a harbor front.The Fairmont

Hamilton Princess is a lovely hotel situated on the harbor. They may offer an afternoon tea.

St Georges is an historical town with a number of sites along with shops and restaurants. 

Trips to either city offer pretty scenery and interesting places so that a good part of the day is occupied.

You could return to the ship,relax a bit, then go out for a pleasant dinner. We recommend the Waterlot Inn, an historical inn that serves excellent (MHO) food in a lovely atmosphere. It is located down the hill from the Fairmont Southampton Princess. It is a restaurant enjoyed by visitors and local residents.

You could check out other restaurant recommendations for afternoon tea and dinner on Trip Advisor.

Enjoy your stay in Bermuda !

I think they said they are going in October so I don't think it is beach weather although if it is nice they may be pretty to look at the pink sand beaches.

Also not sure the ferry to St. Georges runs in October.  I think the ferry to Hamilton is year round.

You might try https://www.gotobermuda.com/

You are off season so can't really say.  The only cruise I have been on was during the season and we were there for 3 days.  My next cruise in May also docks in Hamilton and St. George's for a total of 3 days

30 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I think they said they are going in October so I don't think it is beach weather although if it is nice they may be pretty to look at the pink sand beaches.

Also not sure the ferry to St. Georges runs in October.  I think the ferry to Hamilton is year round.

You might try https://www.gotobermuda.com/

You are off season so can't really say.  The only cruise I have been on was during the season and we were there for 3 days.  My next cruise in May also docks in Hamilton and St. George's for a total of 3 days

We were there in mid-October this past year and both ferries were running.   Depending on when in October it may be warm enough for the beach....a very personal thing.  Dh likes to find sections of the railway trail to walk.  Stopped at Twizzle Inn and thought it was over rated.  The ice cream place across the street would have been better.   Dh also likes to shop at the English Sport Shop.  Can't explain that as he doesn't shop.  There's always the gardens, the caves, zoo, etc.  Been there 6x and love it.

We have visited Bermuda during various times of the year. Many trips in July to celebrate our anniversary,but also for the Christmas holidays and February. I recall spending New Year’s Day enjoying the beach at the Fairmont Southampton Princess and using the pool and walking the beach  during a stay at the Elbow Beach Hotel In February. We visited last in July 2018. I found the heat and humidity during that trip to be a bit curtailing as to our planned activities. This is something that didn’t bother me in my younger years. We have a trip  planned for this March  to stay and play golf at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. We are looking forward to a more comfortable climate during this vacation.

If the ferry is no longer running from the Dockyard in October, one could take the ferry into Hamilton then switch to another ferry from Hamilton to St.Georges. Or, once in Hamilton, it is a short walk from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal to get the bus to St.Georges.

The ferry schedules are available online. A Google search  will get you to the correct web address.

One of our first cruises docked both in St Georges and Hamilton. We appreciated walking off the ship and being in walking distance of interesting places in both cities. With the advent of the huge cruise ships, sailing through the entrance to St Georges harbor  was impossible, therefore the Dockyard at the West End was developed as a cruise ship terminal to accommodate the ships.This location does cause cruise ship passengers to find transportation to other places in Bermuda. The most cost effective,but time consuming, are the busses following various routes. Ferries offer scenic views from the water. Usually there are cabs and drivers offering tours or drives to the beaches lined up as passengers walk off the pier from where their ship is docked. 

For the OP,re: high tea. This may be served at the Gibbs  Hill Lighthouse complex in Southampton Parish.

I am sure Trip Advisor could give more information about local places serving afternoon tea.

32 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

One of our first cruises docked both in St Georges and Hamilton. We appreciated walking off the ship and being in walking distance of interesting places in both cities. With the advent of the huge cruise ships, sailing through the entrance to St Georges harbor  was impossible, therefore the Dockyard at the West End was developed as a cruise ship terminal to accommodate the ships.This location does cause cruise ship passengers to find transportation to other places in Bermuda. 

This year both Oceania and RCL have cruise ships docking in  St Georges and Hamilton.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Is Empress of  the Seas  sailing from Bayonne to Bermuda   this Summer ?

As it is one of the older ships for RCCL,does anyone know of the condition of the ship ? Are there any drydocks or refurbs planned ?

TYIA!

It had a major overhaul when Royal took it back from Pullmantur for the Cuba cruises.  Now that it can't do Cuba it's doing other trips.  Can't recall when it had the overhaul but I'm sure someone will know.  Sailed on her in 2002 when she was still the Nordic Empress.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Is Empress of  the Seas  sailing from Bayonne to Bermuda   this Summer ?

As it is one of the older ships for RCCL,does anyone know of the condition of the ship ? Are there any drydocks or refurbs planned ?

TYIA!

I did a Cuba sail last January and she was going into drydock soon after we got back.  No idea what they did in drydock.  Thought the ship was OK for the Cuba cruise.

I did the same Bermuda  itinerary on an Oceania ship last year and we have an Empress Bayonne to Bermuda trip booked for May.

I prefer Oceania Insignia over Empress however Oceania is only going mid summer which was too hot for us.

• Like 1

Thanks to All for the insightful advice and experiences.

I've been looking at the Bermuda links, and I did not know there was ferry service from the Dockyard.

Hamilton looks like our exploration destination this time around.  We may do that in the morning as the timing will be better.

The Grandeur pulls in at 2:30 PM

The ferry leaves the Dockyard at 3:45PM arriving at 4:15PM

The Last ferry to the dockyard leaves at 4:30

That said, we probably won't go there in the afternoon/evening.

Our after noon adventure would be to explore parts of Somerset we missed the first time.

- Maybe take a bus or cab out to the Westover Dairy Farm which supplies 30 percent of the island's milk.

- Take some sunset photos at the Daniel's Head Park

- Hike back to Woody's for fresh seafood.

- Hike or bus back to the Dockyard and check out the pub there.

- Back onboard the ship to see a show, or some other activity

The next morning we can

- Coffee and light breakfast at the Windjammer, or room service

- Hop the 7:30 ferry to Hamilton

- [INSERT DESTINATION ADVENTURES HERE]

--- Any interesting sights, restaurants for mid-morning snack, or early lunch?

- Hop the Hamilton ferry back to the Dockyard at 12 to arrive by 12:45

- We have some time to buy trinkets and send postcards from the Dockyard.

- Back onto the ship by 1:30 PM for snack, or shower

- 2:20 PM Get a good seat to watch all the people trying to get back on the boat before 2:30 departure.

Edited by BillHoo