Koningsdam: Retreat Cabanas & Wind

Queenvee

I will be on the 3/15/20 32 day voyage from Ft. Lauderdale to Callao and have a question about Retreat cabanas.  From researching this site, I know you have to reserve them before boarding, by the week, and I have the chart of locations and pricing.  I would get a 2-person cabana along the railing since it's just me.  My question is:  how windy is it up there?  There are many sea days, and typically the sun deck or other top decks are extremely breezy.  Are there any 2-person cabanas that are slightly sheltered from the wind?  Thanks for any input!!

I will be on the 3/15/20 32 day voyage from Ft. Lauderdale to Callao and have a question about Retreat cabanas.  From researching this site, I know you have to reserve them before boarding, by the week, and I have the chart of locations and pricing.  I would get a 2-person cabana along the railing since it's just me.  My question is:  how windy is it up there?  There are many sea days, and typically the sun deck or other top decks are extremely breezy.  Are there any 2-person cabanas that are slightly sheltered from the wind?  Thanks for any input!!

We were in the retreat on the NS and had a side cabana. We loved it and didn't find it to be windy at all. They are all pretty sheltered. Enjoy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume by "at the rail" you mean facing aft? If so, those will be a bit more windy, when it is windy. But usually in the Caribbean, the wind is pleasant. We have had windy days and not so windy days in cabanas, all by one facing aft. After our first cabana facing the side of the ship being very hot and stuffy, we always get the aft facing cabanas.

Thank you - glad to hear that the wind shouldn't be a problem!  When I said "at the railing", it looks in the HAL chart like the cabanas are in a square U-shape, so I was thinking that the cabanas along the two "legs" of the U are against the railings (# 1-7 on one side and # 16-21 on the other side) and that the ones along the bottom of the U (#8-15) face aft.    OTOH, maybe I'm making the wrong assumption and these "side/leg" cabanas don't look out over the ocean?

It will all depend on the weather. We’ve had Retreat Cabanas four times. The first three were wonderful with no issues of wind disrupting our enjoyment of the cabana. The fourth trip was so windy the cabana was basically unusable. My wife took the photo below of me on the windy trip. 

Hopefully your trip will be like our first three and you will get to enjoy the cabana. We love them and wouldn’t hesitate to book them in the future.

168296827.jpg

• Like 2

Queenvee,

just a thought... you said something about reserving retreat cabanas by the week pre cruise but I think you can only book for the entire cruise pre cruise. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will chime in. 
you will enjoy a retreat cabana!  The service, the location, the solitude equals heaven in my book!

enjoy!

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

Thank you - glad to hear that the wind shouldn't be a problem!  When I said "at the railing", it looks in the HAL chart like the cabanas are in a square U-shape, so I was thinking that the cabanas along the two "legs" of the U are against the railings (# 1-7 on one side and # 16-21 on the other side) and that the ones along the bottom of the U (#8-15) face aft.    OTOH, maybe I'm making the wrong assumption and these "side/leg" cabanas don't look out over the ocean?

Those are commonly called "sea facing", yes, they look at the ocean. They aren't really "at the rail" because they have a plexiglass "windshield". We found those to be hot and stuffy when there wasn't a breeze, acceptable when there was a breeze. As mentioned, we enjoy the aft facing...the ones at the "bottom of the U".

Having had one on the Zuiderdam Southern Caribbean which we booked on ship in December it was basically unusable.  If you are worried about wind and a bit of a gambler look at the wind forecast on the ship's TV itinerary after you board and book accordingly.   It may be better if it is predicting windy conditions to book by the day than by the entire cruise.  We never really got to enjoy lunch or any of the amenities other than the water due to the wind.   Picture is of a not so windy day when all of the furniture was not lashed together with zip ties.  

cabana.jpg

On the Koningsdam I have had a family cabana, an aft-facing 2-person cabana, and a side-facing (starboard) 2-person cabana.  Wind was never a factor unless it was a crazy windy day, in which case it wouldn’t matter which cabana you had.  Of the 2-person cabanas I much preferred the side-facing as all you look at is the sea, whereas the aft-facing was mostly a view of the Lido pool roof.  Enjoy your cruise!

We will be on the same K'dam cruise... 'round So. Amer. K'dam's Cabana area appeared Windy/Gusty when viewing them behind the Crow's Nest. On our longish K'dam cruises I've rarely seen them used; to the point that it's been a topic of conversation at the Bars. Perhaps depends on the location of one's Suite/Cabin whether they are needed??