Concerns re first cruise out of drydock?

edgee

Daughters' in laws have asked me for advice on whether to take their first Oceania cruise. They are excited about June 23 Barcelona to Sothhampton Nautica itinerary. I am concerned about whether I should discourage/encourage them from taking first cruise after major drydock? Of coure this will be the last R ship to go through Oceania NEXT refurb so would hope they have details down pat by now. Any advice regarding concerns (or not) would be appreciated. Thanks! Ed

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Daughters' in laws have asked me for advice on whether to take their first Oceania cruise. They are excited about June 23 Barcelona to Sothhampton Nautica itinerary. I am concerned about whether I should discourage/encourage them from taking first cruise after major drydock? Of coure this will be the last R ship to go through Oceania NEXT refurb so would hope they have details down pat by now. Any advice regarding concerns (or not) would be appreciated. Thanks! Ed

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Russian roulette 😊

We on the Nautica for the cruise that follows.  Maybe your daughters-in-law can make sure it's all ship shape (pun intended) for us 🤭 .

24 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

We on the Nautica for the cruise that follows.  Maybe your daughters-in-law can make sure it's all ship shape (pun intended) for us 🤭 .

Its my daughter's husband's parents and their two biggest concerns are being able to eat at a table for 2 (no problem especially since only Concierge class is left on that cruise...so they can get specialty reservations earlier) and lots of port days...This cruise checks both those boxes. They are more adventurous than we are, so likely willing to take a bit of a risk. Now my first time explaining O Life with air, Olife without air ,Air without O Life and going without O Life to them is a real treat...hopefully their TA is knowledgable...I'm not sure.🤔

17 minutes ago, edgee said:

Its my daughter's husband's parents and their two biggest concerns are being able to eat at a table for 2 (no problem especially since only Concierge class is left on that cruise...so they can get specialty reservations earlier) and lots of port days...This cruise checks both those boxes. They are more adventurous than we are, so likely willing to take a bit of a risk. Now my first time explaining O Life with air, Olife without air ,Air without O Life and going without O Life to them is a real treat...hopefully their TA is knowledgeable...I'm not sure.🤔

Ahhh, daughter's in-laws, not daughters-in-law...my mis-interpretation.  I should have read more carefully.  While it may be a bit of a risk, I'd wager that Oceania has this R-ship refurb process down pat by now, and the folks should not have a 2-top issue if they are flexible on times and make their reservations as soon as they open.  Sounds like you have the O-Life/Air complexities in hand.  Good luck!

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

Sometimes people have complained that SOME work was still going on during that first post-drydock cruise ... sometimes it was noisy work ...

Then again, I've only seen this kind of complaint (here) recently ...  Not sure why that is.

We ourselves have never sailed immediately before or after a drydock ...

We were on the second cruise of Regatta after the Next refurb (next to last Next refurb), no real issues.  However, the prior cruise had a thread (I'm not going to search for it) that indicated a lot of issues including a lot of painting (fumes), etc.  We were very disappointed (first O cruise) with the food quality (see current Food on Oceania thread) which may have been attributed to potentially new food staff crew on board. We are hoping this is the case as we have another O cruise coming up later this year.

33 minutes ago, ropomo said:

We were on the second cruise of Regatta after the Next refurb (next to last Next refurb), no real issues.  However, the prior cruise had a thread (I'm not going to search for it) that indicated a lot of issues including a lot of painting (fumes), etc.  We were very disappointed (first O cruise) with the food quality (see current Food on Oceania thread) which may have been attributed to potentially new food staff crew on board. We are hoping this is the case as we have another O cruise coming up later this year.

Regatta's post drydock cruise may have been a little unique. There is a review indicating that Regatta had a challenging drydock because it rained for all but about 4 days of a 20+ day drydock period, causing lots of issues related to painting and varnishing.