Remember tragic accident with toddler? New revelations...

DCP

9 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Realizing the Grandfather isn't going to come up with a few million, they'll assign some % to RCCL so there is SOME kind of payout to the family for their loss.

It used to be "...play stupid game, win stupid prize..." but now, it's "...play stupid game, someone else dies, next of kin sue and win millions from corporation...".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Realizing the Grandfather isn't going to come up with a few million, they'll assign some % to RCCL so there is SOME kind of payout to the family for their loss.

It may be an emotional response to do that, but if the ship complies with all safety regulations for construction and operation as they relate to those windows, I don't see how they just decide to assign some percentage of guilt to the cruise line just so the family gets some kind of pay-out.    They would have to find cause to actually assign that amount of guilt.

I see it this way - grandfather accepted the Alford plea (what this seems to be), which is accepting that the evidence against him is enough that a trial would likely result in a guilty verdict but that he maintains he did nothing wrong so that the family could move on from the criminal case.  By doing it as an Alford plea, there is less (but possibly plenty still) leverage available to RCI to point to that and say that he admitted to fault and the suit should be dropped.  If he flat out admitted guilt it would be game-over on the civil suit as well.

Sorry, I watch too many law-related TV shows...

• Like 3

Too bad he didn't get jail time since he is sticking with the BS story of "I didn't know the window was open".  At least this will help RCCL defend against the frivolous lawsuit, the criminal conviction will play a major role.