Remember tragic accident with toddler? New revelations...

DCP

Guy kills his grandaughter by his own negligence and lies about it so to try and sue a business for it. He also refused a breath test after the incident. There is a reason why the family was pushing for this video not to be released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

Does anyone know if the step mother is a lawyer. I think I remember reading that somewhere, but I'm not sure. 

The mother of the little girl is the lawyer.  The father of the little girl is a police officer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Lawyer pounced to get $$$$ not justice. And got family to change their memory for $$$$. Grandpa has been charged based on police investigation. Sounds like the police blame grandpa not RCL negligence for having windows on a ship. 

That's exactly the way I see it too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Newleno said:

Thanks for the update of this terrible tragedy, I have been trying to get information, Yes the video is shocking, you just want to scream "dont do it stop, stop, stop".  The media/family/attorney spin on this tragedy is text case fake news.  It appears the guy literally walks over to the only window that is open, literally sticks his torso half way thru the window (royal Caribbean sais for 8 seconds the first time)  not once but twice and then lifts up the little girl for 34 seconds over the railing (according to Royal) and then the poor little girl is gone. The Press reported that his attorney stated the man turned down a plea deal that would have gave him no jail time.  This came to light because Royal had to defend itself with evidence in a court motion because the family was suing Royal.

What video are you talking about?   Royal still hasn’t released the surveillance video, and the OP’s link is a news story with no clips from it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotownVoice said:

What video are you talking about?   Royal still hasn’t released the surveillance video, and the OP’s link is a news story with no clips from it.

the video surveillance clip is on the internets, (with 2 different angles)  i have viewed it several times, you cant post the link on cruisecritic, it will be removed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

The surveillance video was broadcast last month on a PR television show. It was on the internet soon after.

What on earth was that grandfather thinking? WHY would he hang her out of that window?

He's an idiot and they are all liars and looking for an easy payout at that child's expense. All along they said she wanted to bang on the glass and he thought there was glass there. Absolutely disgusting!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, tonit964 said:

What on earth was that grandfather thinking? WHY would he hang her out of that window?

He's an idiot and they are all liars and looking for an easy payout at that child's expense. All along they said she wanted to bang on the glass and he thought there was glass there. Absolutely disgusting!

Actually, he apparently told police at first that he put her out the window and lost his grasp.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Actually, he apparently told police at first that he put her out the window and lost his grasp.

You're right.

When it first hit the news, that's what he told police. Which kind of speaks to his mental capacity because he knew to tell the truth. To me, it makes it all the more disgusting that the parents told him to lie and change his story. As others have said here, to put all the blame on RCI when they did nothing wrong is sad.

In all the years that these class of ships have had these open top windows and this is the very first incident, says something.

They didn't even take time to mourn their child, they got an attorney right away. The parents are a real piece of work.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

You're right.

When it first hit the news, that's what he told police. Which kind of speaks to his mental capacity because he knew to tell the truth. To me, it makes it all the more disgusting that the parents told him to lie and change his story. As others have said here, to put all the blame on RCI when they did nothing wrong is sad.

In all the years that these class of ships have had these open top windows and this is the very first incident, says something.

They didn't even take time to mourn their child, they got an attorney right away. The parents are a real piece of work.

You don’t know their situation, what is going on in their heads, what the lawyer is telling them to do. I have nothing but sympathy for all of them (and I don’t think RCL is at fault and believe the case will be dismissed). I hope your family doesn’t endure a tragic loss.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You don’t know their situation, what is going on in their heads, what the lawyer is telling them to do. I have nothing but sympathy for all of them (and I don’t think RCL is at fault and believe the case will be dismissed). I hope your family doesn’t endure a tragic loss.

Did you see the video? I did. This was 100% preventable. The grandfather leaned out of the open window for a few seconds first, then he picked up the child and held her completely out of the window all that way up with concrete below.

You're right, I don't know what was going on in his head! 

• Like 2

I wonder if the grandfather lied to them about what happened that day and now that they see all the articles about what really happened, how do they feel about him now.  Or if they are seeing the articles, even though I can understand them not wanting to see the videos, but if they have a friend watch it and let them know what happened, they could make the right decision to finally blame the grandfather.

7 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Did you see the video? I did. This was 100% preventable. The grandfather leaned out of the open window for a few seconds first, then he picked up the child and held her completely out of the window all that way up with concrete below.

You're right, I don't know what was going on in his head! 

Nope, I honestly can’t watch it. I think he made a very bad mistake, I do not know what he was thinking (and I have a bad fear of heights and wouldn’t allow my kids close to the railings on cruise ships, even when they were older). I believe he believes what he was told, much easier than the truth, which is pretty unbearable. The parents? Heck, they can sue me if it makes them feel better, they would have about the same chances of winning. If that was my child, I still wouldn’t be even close to being in my right mind yet.

• Like 1

People's memories of tragic events aren't reliable.  People remember things the way they want to remember them.  Grandpa's memory may have been immediately blurred.

However, he looks like a man in good condition....who could hold onto a 20lb (?) object for a while.  He probably held this child many times in the past.  Most of us have held toddlers and the toddler didn't fall out of our arms.  Grandpa had no reason to think that this little girl would slip from him.  Maybe the little girl jerked forward?  Maybe he got a hand cramp?

It was a tragic accident.  Money and jail time won't bring the girl back and grandpa will be in his own prison forever.

Sorry...but I keep thinking about stupid things I've seen people do...and things I did that other people thought were stupid.  We all do them.

Edited by April42749

41 minutes ago, April42749 said:

It was a tragic accident.  Money and jail time won't bring the girl back and grandpa will be in his own prison forever.

If it would have been a nanny who dropped the little girl, would you feel the same?  Would the parents feel the same and just forgive them?  I seriously doubt it, so I don't know why the grandfather should be held to a different standard.  Folks need to be held accountable for their actions and what he did was failure to take proper care, in other words negligent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

If it would have been a nanny who dropped the little girl, would you feel the same?  Would the parents feel the same and just forgive them?  I seriously doubt it, so I don't know why the grandfather should be held to a different standard.  Folks need to be held accountable for their actions and what he did was failure to take proper care, in other words negligent.

I do see a difference. If my child is in daycare and escapes the building, care I am paying for, my reaction would be different than if my child got out of grandma’s house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I do see a difference. If my child is in daycare and escapes the building, care I am paying for, my reaction would be different than if my child got out of grandma’s house. 

I see, even though they both made the same unintentional mistake, because they would not be paying the grandfather, he should be treated differently.  SHM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Nope, I honestly can’t watch it.

I think that everyone should watch the videos. Then people should contrast what they have seen with what they have heard from the attorney & Anello. 

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

People's memories of tragic events aren't reliable.  People remember things the way they want to remember them.  Grandpa's memory may have been immediately blurred.

Based on what he initially told the police, Anello's memory was fine but was later "clouded" after the family hired an attorney. 

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

However, he looks like a man in good condition....

No. He looked winded before he even walked to the window. When he stops and squats against the pole, he looks like someone who is resting after following a young child all day. After he lifts the child over the railing, he is seen switching from one arm to the next as he holds her. His arm probably got tired and he switched. Right before she fell, the child is sitting on the window sill but before that, she is being held in the air far beyond the railing and the window sill. 

2 hours ago, April42749 said:

Maybe the little girl jerked forward?  Maybe he got a hand cramp?

That would be a defense if it was believed that he dropped her on purpose. The act of lifting her up there and holding her outside was criminally negligent. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1