Valor Upgrade Offer, What do you think?

SkyPiglet

Currently booked on Carnival Valor for a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise of of New Orleans in May. Room is 1212, which is a classified as an upper lower with portholes. It has a twin and a and a sofa bed. I know it is a rock-bottom pricing type of room, which is fine. I have normally  booked higher deck interiors, and one balcony for comparison so I not familiar with these types of rooms. I am travelling with my mother in this case, so there is no need for a convertible king bed. I have an offer to upgrade to an Ocean View stateroom with two twins, and a sofa, 1441 for the "exclusive" price of $174.

For the price, it strikes me as a "going rate" upgrade and nothing too special to offer  and I will most likely pass, but I wanted to make sure that I am not throwing away an amazing deal. Anything special about the ocean view compared to the upper/lower besides a pair of twins that become a king and a bigger window?

Thanks!

I personally would take the upgrade. Have been on Valor, but was a balcony so can't speak specifically to the interior rooms. Have been on her sister ship Liberty 7 times. The Ocean view rooms are much nicer and roomier as well. Just from sitting on the sofas, I don't think the sofa bed would be very comfortable to sleep on. We had rooms on deck 1 and 2, not a lot of difference, but guessing you might have a bit more vibration in the aft section. Whichever you choose, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

For $174 I would take the upgrade.  Having a "real" bed for each, and a sofa to hang out on, throw stuff on, and a larger window instead of a porthole would be worth it to me.  Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

• Like 3

Thanks!

For the record, I just did a mock booking for the room offered as an upgrade. Total cost of what we have paid so far, plus the upgrade $175, is about $65 MORE expensive than just booking the room in the first place. Slick!

I am not too worried about sleeping on the sofa-bed, or even an upper. Since it is a lower deck, my "room time" will be limited anyway, I was just curious to make sure I wasn't missing out on something super big. But being roomier is somewhat tempting.

• Like 1

I have been in a similar cabin on a different ship with my son a few times.  The rooms are roomier than your standard inside cabin.  The one thing to consider, you will probably hear waves crashing on the bow of the ship.  Most of the time it isn't that bad other times it has been very loud.  I have used good ear plugs and I could still tell when the waves hit as you could feel the vibration.  It seems to be worse when heading south than when heading north.

We are also on the Valor for a 5 day cruise in May.  On May 4.  But we have an inside cabin on the Empress Deck.  We had an incredible offer under my husband's account that we couldn't resist.  Since we were already in New Orleans and were checking out of our hotel that day we thought why not.  My husband just retired this week so we just decided to add it on to our vacation.  So nice to be able to do things like that now.

• Like 1

I would always opt for a room with a sofa... I'm a little bummed that my aft wrap on Freedom won't have a sofa, but I'll just hang out on the balcony instead... otherwise, I'd always prefer a room with the extra seating, even if it's not used a lot.

I would probably take the upgrade for the added square feet and extra space.  There are pictures of 1212 on cruise deck plans that you can look at to help you decide.   Cabin 1212 is 160sf and 1441 is 220sf

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkyPiglet said:

Thanks!

For the record, I just did a mock booking for the room offered as an upgrade. Total cost of what we have paid so far, plus the upgrade $175, is about $65 MORE expensive than just booking the room in the first place. Slick!

I am not too worried about sleeping on the sofa-bed, or even an upper. Since it is a lower deck, my "room time" will be limited anyway, I was just curious to make sure I wasn't missing out on something super big. But being roomier is somewhat tempting.

For $110 I would definitely make the switch!  Call Carnival and ask about changing rooms.

There is never a fee to upgrade a room, and they'll give you the going rate, just don't mention the upgrade "offer."  Also, you can maybe get a room that's mid ship or forward, which I would prefer over aft.

10 hours ago, SkyPiglet said:

Huh?  Are you saying that the price the upsell fairy offered is MORE than what you would have paid by upselling to yourself?

I was just in that cabin on the 12/30/19 sailing.  It is a twin bed and an upper pullman.  It does not have a sofa bed.  It is a regular couch.

I love the upper/lower portholes with upper pullmans instead of sofa beds.  You can line everything up along one wall or put the bed along the wall and the couch perpendicular to the bed under the window to have alot of open floor space.

There is a really good YouTube video of this cabin.  It is about 6 minutes 51 seconds long.  The video was uploaded 4/2/17. The couch has been fixed.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Huh?  Are you saying that the price the upsell fairy offered is MORE than what you would have paid by upselling to yourself?

Yes, that is correct, at least it was last night when I posted. Now it is no longer the case.

1 hour ago, Tiger0613 said:

I was just in that cabin on the 12/30/19 sailing.  It is a twin bed and an upper pullman.  It does not have a sofa bed.  It is a regular couch.

I love the upper/lower portholes with upper pullmans instead of sofa beds.  You can line everything up along one wall or put the bed along the wall and the couch perpendicular to the bed under the window to have alot of open floor space.

There is a really good YouTube video of this cabin.  It is about 6 minutes 51 seconds long.  The video was uploaded 4/2/17. The couch has been fixed....

Thanks for the posting video, it shows the room pretty well, and that room looks good enough for me! It will be kind of an adventure with the portholes bunk beds anyway 🙂

Either way, I will have an awesome time! Thanks everyone for your input!

9 hours ago, SkyPiglet said:

Yes, that is correct, at least it was last night when I posted. Now it is no longer the case.

Geez. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve received calls from the upsell fairy and just figured it was a better deal. That’s crazy.