Labadee - tips

coolio111

We didn’t spend a dime on Labadee but we also had a drink package. We went to the beach and used the free lounge chairs and umbrellas. However we weren’t sitting in them for long as we were floating on the blow up rafts that we purchased at the dollar and up store at home. They were $5 each. We also brought a hand pump to blow them up. When we were done for the day we just tossed them in the garage. We at lunch at the BBQ buffet provided by Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

There are lots of spots along the beach to lounge and have a beach day. They also have volleyball courts, chess, etc. and covered areas for eating lunch - Royal brings a BBQ lunch right off the ship for you. There is also a tram that runs back and forth along the walking trails that you can hop on and off to get from one end to the other without having to walk the full distance! Beware the people in orange shirts that say they are conducting surveys - there is a hidden market behind the market building they lure you into where the locals are very pushy and force you to buy things!

Both Labadee and Coco Cay can be totally "free" of fees.  Loungers are abundant, and there are many swimming beaches....just wander about until you find your "perfect spot".  Lunch is included in your day, and if you want booze, your drink package works...if you have no package, then simply buy what you like, just like on the ship.

Many do bring their own floats, as the rentals are quite pricey....if you plan to rent them, don't do it in advance...wait until you're there...they have plenty!

I don't know what its like now or if it still is offered but Malfini Beach was and is the best and most beautiful little beach I have ever been to.  If someone tried to describe my version of Paradise, Malfini Beach would be it.

Edited by Moltar

14 hours ago, coolio111 said:

Give me your tips for Labadee, planning on making it a beach day and have two young kids.

Where is the best area to go to, want it to be low cost as well.

Thanks

Another vote for Columbus Cove, it's the furthest from the ship but there is a tram.  Lots of shade and the waters are calm.  Nice sandy beach area that is not rocky. There is a buffet real close to that area, a bar, plenty of loungers, restrooms and floating mat rentals.  We usually walk along the beach and avoid the market area where souvenirs are being sold.  

We were there in October with our 3 year old twins. We got off the ship within the first half hour. Walked to nell's beach, first public beach on the right (suite beach is the very first beach).  Beach attendant showed us to chair is the shade, as requested, near the shoreline. We brought sand toys for the kids from the dollar store, and their puddle jumpers.  We played in the sand, in the water, and at the very small water fountain park. We had the free on shore, one kid literally fell asleep at the table, and was so tired that we carried her back to our shady beach chair, and daddy and daughter had a great nap together. My son played in the sand at my feet while I relaxed and read my book for 20 mins. (This was amazing).  Then we repeated sand and water play until about 40 mins before all aboard. The island emptied fast.  Best day!

• Like 1

We had purchased our own snorkeling mask/snorkel, floats and beach toys. The beach attendant told us that the rocky shore in front of the inflatables was where you could see the most fish snorkeling and we did see lots! We also used the snorkeling gear at Grand Cayman. In Grand Cayman, if you go to the Eden Rock Dive Center, there is a free ladder to access the reef. It was so much fun. Our kids were 10, 12 and 14 and that was one of their favorite activities. 

My tip....inlet/lagoon side if you are going in non-summer months.......the water is warmer because it is warmed up by the rivers.  We were there in August and you can physically tell when the tides changed (aka water temp drop when the tide went from rolling out to rolling in)