New Manchu Picchu rules

pinotlover

No, you misunderstood!  The van was not on the day that we went to MP.  Remember, we had 6 days. I think MP was around Day #4.  We DID take the train there and it was wonderful.  We had "guest entertainers" on board as well.  Although how they maneuvered around those narrow aisles was a mystery to us. 

22 minutes ago, clo said:

But, again, this was pushing 30 years ago so the times have certainly changed

Have they ever! A lot has changed from those days.

Now you can take the Hiram Bingham luxury train with drinks and food served onboard.

We did both - 30 years ago and the HB train.

Edited by Paulchili

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Have they ever! A lot has changed from those days.

Now you can take the Hiram Bingham luxury train with drinks and food served onboard.

We did both - 30 years ago and the HB train.

I'm drawing a blank of the  name of the hotel company that has that. As well as the hotel on the Brazil side of Iguazu. We stayed in one of their hotels in Santiago, Chile, and it was stunning.

On 1/22/2020 at 12:08 AM, clo said:

I'm drawing a blank of the  name of the hotel company that has that. As well as the hotel on the Brazil side of Iguazu. We stayed in one of their hotels in Santiago, Chile, and it was stunning.

Belmond (part of LVMH).

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 9:08 PM, thinfool said:

Not sure where the 2 hour thing comes from...the official MP website has all the rules right here...4 hours on site is the current rule.

https://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/inicio?request_locale=ES .  You may need to use the Chrome browser as it will translate the site into English automatically.

Also, in my experience the 'police state' comment is mysterious and unfounded.

And I'm not seeing on the site anywhere that a guide is required.  Perhaps they provide you a guide when you arrive?  If that's the case, the only thing that has changed since we were there in 2015 seems to be the 4 hour limit inside.  I see nothing about 3 and 2 hour slots on the website. Our guide made sure we knew the rules and followed them, but we were then allowed to explore afterward (and we were allowed re-entry, which is no longer allowed). Perhaps the discussion centers around which of the 3 trails the tour takes. There is one that takes in a good portion of the area.

And I understand about people not respecting rules.  We were in Yellowstone in 2018 and saw people (non-native English speakers) off the boardwalk in the geyser basins -- not only wrong but seriously dangerous.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

We were in Yellowstone in 2018 and saw people (non-native English speakers) off the boardwalk in the geyser basins -- not only wrong but seriously dangerous.

Were they also feeding the bears? 😀 😀

For foreign travelers, I sometimes think part of the problem is not understanding that when you are in a national park you are not in the middle of a big city.  We've done some serious traveling in the U.S. with Danish friends and I've had to warn them to be more careful.  Now, they didn't feed any bears or bison, and certainly didn't wander off the official path in Yellowstone.  But they DID wander off into the desert at Death Valley around sundown.  Had they gone far enough and it got dark, they might not have made it out of there ...

There is no such excuse, of course, for U.S. citizens.  And many of the violators of these rules are just that.  Shortly after we were in Yellowstone with Sisse in 2007 a teenager went off the path and fell into one of the pools.  A horrible death ...

Mura

• Like 2

My favorite was hearing people (sounded like native English speakers) wondering what time the animals were put back in their cages at night.  Some people think the parks are just like Disneyland and that the animals are tame.  And in Yosemite, they don't give trails near waterfalls the respect they deserve and some wind up falling into the fast-moving water.  And then, there are those who take selfies and fail to look behind them and fall (sometimes to a not good end).

Well, we got a bit off topic here.  Back to Machu Picchu.