how much effect does a CD have on your cruise fun?

cbowls30

I only remember two CDs and it was because of their accents....

We had an Australian CD who began her morning announcements wit "Good Morning Lovelies".  I overhead somebody comment that she needs to change it up one morning and say, "Wake up B!tch3s".  For the rest of the cruise I giggled every time she began morning announcements..

The other one was a CD from Liverpool England.  I just remember her because I spent time trying to figure out the accent.

I would love to be on a cruise where the CD made it a standout experience.

I wouldn't make booking decisions based on CD but a good one definitely makes me enjoy the cruise much more. I didn't realize how much of a difference a good CD could make until we sailed the Vista with Matt. He was EVERYWHERE. We ran into him at least once a day, sometimes three times a day! And we don't usually go to the big deck parties, clubs, or bars much at all so he really does get around. And he recognizes all the passengers and interacts a lot. The cruise would have been awesome without him, but it was extra awesome because of him. So yeah...I think a CD can have a pretty good affect on a cruise.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We went on our 1st Carnival cruise on the Ecstasy out of Jacksonville on 2/10/2020.  The cruise director is Cam and he is absolutely incredible!!  So much so, that when I read his contract is on the Ecstasy until July, I booked another cruise on the same ship going out in less than 2 weeks to have the opportunity for our family to have fun.  2 cruises 3 weeks apart all because this cruise director made for such a fun and memorable cruise for our family.   We cruised on NCL and the CD was non-existent.   Cam was everywhere.   Performing, reading to the kids, hosting shows, singing, etc.  Just a fun, but humble guy.  I think he's a newer CD, so his energy is contagious.   We really appreciated how he was able to balance the family-friendly crowd with the rest of the guests.  Even my kids talk about him.  

• Like 1

Our 1st Carnival Cruise we had the Scottish CD. He was awesome! Previously had cruised other lines and didn’t even notice the CD. This is part of what we loved about Carnival vs other lines. The atmosphere just felt so much more lively and fun. We are sailing the Panorama in May and ecstatic that Matt M will be on board!

• Like 2

Most of the CDs  I had on Carnival and NCL were fantastic - energetic, great sense of humor, ubiquitous, and humble. On RC, I only remember one being like that (a young Polish guy from Canada who was once a Royal Mountie), and all their others you hardly knew were there. In fact, partly because of the CD and partly due to the Fun team, I'm planning to do another Carnival cruise in a few weeks (health permitting).

Very little.  I haven’t had one that I really didn’t like.  Only one I didn’t care for but didn’t view her in a negative light.  Had two I really like and one I was even keel with.  Main issue with the lady was she was very very pushy on sales everytime she got on the intercom.  In general they dont make much of a difference to me.

Usually a CD doesn't make or break my cruising experience. We were on the Conquest a couple of years ago and during our first full day sailing, the asst. CD asked us at trivia if Chloe the CD has seen our grandson (he was 7 months old). We said no, and she said that she will go nuts when she sees him.

At the dining room that evening she happened to pass our table and couldn't help herself. Every time she saw him that week, she made a point to pick him up (she asked first if we minded) or give him a little tap. Even on her day off with her crew at Amber Cove she dashed over as we were walking by. 

Obviously we noticed her more then most CD's, but she was EVERYWHERE regardless of the attention she showed to us. 

Although not the CD, but another crew member, they can also make the cruise a lot more fun.  We were on the Pride in 2018 and the crew member who hosted karaoke was one of the most energetic and entertaining crew members we had ever seen.  There were some good singers, but the majority were not so good.  He made karaoke so entertaining by dressing up in costumes and generally being very funny.  

Edited by TNcruising02

Well, just returned from a nice, relaxing cruise on the Vista.

The CD was "Schwartz", who many seem to rave about.

Every time the three note chime would sound my wife would stop and listen.  It didn't take long for her to realize that none of his lengthy announcements were important - in the least.  Essentially, it seems that their job is to read the Fun Times schedule to you.  Over, and over.  Especially when it involves one of the "Special Sales!", and they were frequent.

Edited by DryCreek
spelng airers n stuf.

We just got back from the Conquest and had the wonderful Kyndall Fire as our CD.  (she was our CD on Vista last Sept, so we knew she would be great).  

She was like Matt... all over the ship, stopping to talk to everyone, very much a people person.  

My video of her: