Itinerary for activities, shore excursions, dinner and entertainment

Cruising _Newbie

Please forgive my ignorance but this is my first cruise and I have so many questions!!

I'm travelling with P&O Oceana on 30.4.20 for 1 week.  I've accessed the online planner and am trying to figure out what to book for when.  My issue is that there are no times available for anything i.e the evening entertainment, what time the shore excursions start and finish.  I've booked the early dining so we can see the shows, not sure if this is necessary?  Do they release timings ahead of the cruise or do they only give you these details when you are onboard?

Also, can you prebook spa treatments as i don't currently have the option?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome to the group.

Shore excursions will vary in timing depending on their itinerary  - personally, if at all possible,  we avoid the P&O trips and book our own.

Each show is performed twice each night, so you don't necessarily have to book the early dining preference.

Unless you specifically want to have a spa treatment on a certain day (getting married,  vow renewals etc) I wouldn't bother pre-booking. Be warned - spa treatments are expensive, and you will have to endure a certain amount of "hard sell",  encouraging you to buy various ointments and lotions at eye watering prices.

• Like 3

Don't panic about too much, it all makes sense when you get onboard. 

You will receive a newsletter with show times etc so you can plan your activities. 

As Wowzz says, P&O excursions can be expensive, but I understand you wanting the security on your first cruise, we did. The fear of the ship sailing off without you is a hard one to overcome until you realise the local companies are so geared up for it, it is very unlikely to happen with a reputable firm. 

Book select restaurants, spa etc when onboard, there are usually offers available on embarkation day. 

Have a great time. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Hi....quite bewildering your first cruise isn't it. Just to reiterate what wozz has said....shows are performed twice a night to accommodate both dining sittings....of course if you are on Freedom dining then you choose either show. Every evening a daily " newsletter" ....the Horizon ....will be left in your cabin outlining the following days events and timings.

As far as shore  excursions on your online planner with some of them it does give the start time and length of excursion....well it does on mine and we go on the 19th April.

Unlike wozz we always book excursions through the ship....I know that you pay more but it gives us peace of mind in case anything goes wrong...but that is personal choice.

Oceana was our first cruise in 2010 and we absolutely loved it....once we had settled into the routine of life onboard and overcome our anxiety....be careful....you may become addicted to cruising 😀

Edited by janny444
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cruising _Newbie said:

Please forgive my ignorance but this is my first cruise and I have so many questions!!

I'm travelling with P&O Oceana on 30.4.20 for 1 week.  I've accessed the online planner and am trying to figure out what to book for when.  My issue is that there are no times available for anything i.e the evening entertainment, what time the shore excursions start and finish.  I've booked the early dining so we can see the shows, not sure if this is necessary?  Do they release timings ahead of the cruise or do they only give you these details when you are onboard?

Also, can you prebook spa treatments as i don't currently have the option?

Thanks!

I'm not as seasoned a cruiser as most on this forum but I'll try to provide a couple of answers. Times for evening entertainment aren't published in advance but, generally speaking, there are two shows in the theatre, one at around 8 pm and the other around 10 pm, although times vary a little, and sometimes they slot in a third show. These are the shows performed by the ship's company, the Headliners, and other "top" acts. Other entertainment is held in a couple of lounges around the ship. All times are published in the ship's newspaper, Horizon, which will be dropped off at your cabin the day before, so you can plan your day. This includes everything - talks, organised sports activities, quizzes, shows, recitals, etc.

Excursion times vary depending on the time the ship docks, duration of the excursion, etc. but as a general rule they depart around 08.30/9.00 and, for full day excursions, return to the ship about an hour before the ship is due to leave port. If a ship's excursion is delayed the ship will wait, if you DIY and are late back, it won't. As wowzz said, you can book your own excursions, which tends to be considerably cheaper and you're not likely to be herded on and off coaches, but it requires quite a bit of research, as P&O don't publish specific port arrival and departure times (they just say "early morning, late afternoon"), so you have to check the websites for the individual ports of call which will tell you which ships are in port and when (helpful if it's a busy port and you could have 3, 4 or more other cruise ships in port at the same time). At many ports P&O runs a regular shuttle to transfer you from the port to the city centre, this service is free if you booked Select, chargeable otherwise. At other ports you can basically walk to the sights yourself.

I wouldn't bother booking spa treatments in advance - during the cruise the prices drop and they do special package deals.

I hope you will really enjoy your first cruise - be warned, it's highly addictive!

• Like 1

Regarding times of the excursions, the blurb relating to each trip should give you expected length and the amount of activity involved and then when you add an excursion to your shopping basket it should give you the start time. On some excursions there is a choice of start times. That's what happened when I booked a couple of trips of few weeks ago anyway.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 1

Thank you so much that's incredibly helpful!  I'm a planner so it pains me not to know every detail 😂  The port information will really help with that!

I didn't realise there would be two shows which makes things easier too.  I'm sure i'll be back with more questions once i've figured a few more details out!

I think we will book one or two excursions where the city centre is a good drive from the ship to ease my anxiety!  

After the advice, i'll certainly be booking the spa onboard, thankyou!

Edited by Cruising _Newbie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruising _Newbie said:

Thank you so much that's incredibly helpful!  I'm a planner so it pains me not to know every detail 😂  The port information will really help with that!

I didn't realise there would be two shows which makes things easier too.  I'm sure i'll be back with more questions once i've figured a few more details out!

I think we will book one or two excursions where the city centre is a good drive from the ship to ease my anxiety!  

After the advice, i'll certainly be booking the spa onboard, thankyou!

I’m like you in which I like to plan everything. It kills me not to know everything. I would like them to tell me the menus, the shows, any quizzes and entertainment at least a month in advance. With a cruise I think it’s very difficult for them to do which is why they don’t. I just try and go with the flow on the ship. I try and see if there is a discount to book for the specialty restaurants on the first night then I kinda go from there. Usually depends on what food they are serving. If nothing takes my fancy I’ll try beach house or something. Kinda difficult when the menu sometimes doesn’t come out till 11 and it’s outside the restaurant door. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m like you in which I like to plan everything. It kills me not to know everything. I would like them to tell me the menus, the shows, any quizzes and entertainment at least a month in advance. With a cruise I think it’s very difficult for them to do which is why they don’t. I just try and go with the flow on the ship. I try and see if there is a discount to book for the specialty restaurants on the first night then I kinda go from there. Usually depends on what food they are serving. If nothing takes my fancy I’ll try beach house or something. Kinda difficult when the menu sometimes doesn’t come out till 11 and it’s outside the restaurant door. 

Not seen the menus come out that late, they are always up by the end of breakfast, about 9 if not earlier. That's when we plan our evening. 

Andy 

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Not seen the menus come out that late, they are always up by the end of breakfast, about 9 if not earlier. That's when we plan our evening. 

Andy 

was that late out once. 

When I’m trying to entertain two kids it’s annoying coming back to that deck after breakfast. When they wanna be on 15 for example. 
but someone has already said I can ask for the menu the night before so I think that’s what I’ll do

16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

oh I didn't know the menu's were only available the night before too, at least if i know of these things in advance i won't stress about finding out beforehand!  I'll plan what i can and then try and chill out about the rest, wish me luck with that one though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruising _Newbie said:

oh I didn't know the menu's were only available the night before too, at least if i know of these things in advance i won't stress about finding out beforehand!  I'll plan what i can and then try and chill out about the rest, wish me luck with that one though!

it officially comes out after breakfast! 

im gonna ask see if they can tell me before hand. Might not be able to to but least it will help our family loads to make sure it’s a good holiday. 
even last time it was good and we winged it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

was that late out once. 

When I’m trying to entertain two kids it’s annoying coming back to that deck after breakfast. When they wanna be on 15 for example. 
but someone has already said I can ask for the menu the night before so I think that’s what I’ll do

We mainly go to the mdr for breakfast, so just have a nosey on the way out and it's always there. 

Andy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We mainly go to the mdr for breakfast, so just have a nosey on the way out and it's always there. 

Andy 

that was our thoughts too but we are usually out by 8.30 and it was never up. Maybe it was just an off week. 

really would prefer an itinerary for my day. Gotta say I love a good spreadsheet and itinerary for my holidays. Weird I know 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruising _Newbie said:

I don't think the menus are available to everyone the night before. It's usually for people who have special dietary requirements and similar so the chefs can tell them whether their choice contains any allergens, for example, and whether they can provide an alternative. I think the waiters would get fed up if everyone started asking for the menu the night before, as they are already rushed off their feet and it's just one more thing for them to do. Also the menus may be subject to change - sometimes they expect to take on a load of local fish at a port, say, which they've planned on the menu (the menu usually features a dish local to the country or port you're visiting), and then it's not available so they have to rethink.

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

that was our thoughts too but we are usually out by 8.30 and it was never up. Maybe it was just an off week. 

really would prefer an itinerary for my day. Gotta say I love a good spreadsheet and itinerary for my holidays. Weird I know 

I think it might depend on the MDR you choose, one them is open for lunch, so possibly it will have the lunch menu.

1 minute ago, groovechick said:

I don't think the menus are available to everyone the night before. It's usually for people who have special dietary requirements and similar so the chefs can tell them whether their choice contains any allergens, for example, and whether they can provide an alternative. I think the waiters would get fed up if everyone started asking for the menu the night before, as they are already rushed off their feet and it's just one more thing for them to do. Also the menus may be subject to change - sometimes they expect to take on a load of local fish at a port, say, which they've planned on the menu (the menu usually features a dish local to the country or port you're visiting), and then it's not available so they have to rethink.

Makes sense thanks 🙂

26 minutes ago, Cruising _Newbie said:

If you don't like what's available in the main dining rooms, there is also the buffet, which has themed nights (Asian, Indian, Italian, etc.) and the additional charge speciality restaurants (Sindhu = Indian, Beach House - American diner-style and Epicuran - fine dining). The menus for these payable restaurants work on a weekly rotation, so you will know what's available well in advance, and the buffet theme nights are advertised in the Horizon. I believe there are also sample menus for the MDR and payable restaurants available to view on the P&O website.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, groovechick said:

If you don't like what's available in the main dining rooms, there is also the buffet, which has themed nights (Asian, Indian, Italian, etc.) and the additional charge speciality restaurants (Sindhu = Indian, Beach House - American diner-style and Epicuran - fine dining). The menus for these payable restaurants work on a weekly rotation, so you will know what's available well in advance, and the buffet theme nights are advertised in the Horizon. I believe there are also sample menus for the MDR and payable restaurants available to view on the P&O website.

Thats great thankyou!  How soon do you know how many formal nights there are and themed nights?  I haven't seen any info on these yet?

Cruising in 94 days and counting!

5 minutes ago, Cruising _Newbie said:

Thats great thankyou!  How soon do you know how many formal nights there are and themed nights?  I haven't seen any info on these yet?

Cruising in 94 days and counting!

7 nights will have 2 formal, one of which is usually black & white.

There is a spreadsheet doing the rounds on another thread, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to post it for you.

I wouldn't stress about the themed nights, hardly anyone bothers. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Food themed nights in the buffet are pretty much most nights, or every other night. Dressing up themed nights are as Andy says, the only one anyone really bothers with is black and white night, which is one of the formal nights. If there's a Tropical Night the gentlemen tend to wear brightly coloured Hawaiian shirts (the waiters wear them instead of their usual uniforms); it's a casual night so easy for ladies to do tropical!

• Like 2

On our last cruise, I went to a facial treatment talk. It was early on in the cruise, day two or three, we were still at sea. They gave you a dash of 3 different creams and told you how to apply them. Also some sales talks. I still enjoyed it, as not something I would normally do. At the end you got an offer for a spa treatment at a special price. I never got to work out if it was a good offer. 

At various times on the cruise they have different offers on. Port days tend to be the cheapest. Note though that an amount which I think is 10% is added on top of the price for the young lady with whom you have your appointment. I think this is compulsory, but I'm sure someone will tell you better.

If you are thinking of travelling a long distance from the port, I would advise you to do a P&O tour. We have found the ones we have been on great. The only iffy one was in Barcelona where anyone slow at walking had trouble keeping up.

• Like 1