Virus Concerns May Transpacific on Millennium

Sailfish

Just curious what impact the coronavirus will have on sailings departing Asia to North America in the coming months as ships return for their Alaska season. 

Currently there is a lot of hysteria (some valid concerns some not) but only in the coming months will we learn the real ramifications this will have on travel to and from Asia, not necessarily China. 

I live in Thailand where the country is bracing for more virus related illness in the coming months. Due to its proximity, tourism from China has been on the rise. At the moment the few cases seem to be contained but with a two week long incubation period it's hard to know what will happen. People from affected areas in China refuse to go back. They aren't showing symptoms so they are leaving Thailand and heading elsewhere in Asia. Many are heading to Japan and other destinations. That's OK for us in Thailand. But not so good for Japan. According to what we are hearing it won't be OK to travel (to China) till June.

We are scheduled to take the Millennium to Vancouver in May. We do this sailing every year along with many Chinese families heading home to Canada, most returning after extended stays in China. 

Just curious how things will shape up this spring. What do you think? 

15 minutes ago, Sailfish said:

Just curious what impact the coronavirus will have on sailings departing Asia to North America in the coming months as ships return for their Alaska season. 

Currently there is a lot of hysteria (some valid concerns some not) but only in the coming months will we learn the real ramifications this will have on travel to and from Asia, not necessarily China. 

I live in Thailand where the country is bracing for more virus related illness in the coming months. Due to its proximity, tourism from China has been on the rise. At the moment the few cases seem to be contained but with a two week long incubation period it's hard to know what will happen. People from affected areas in China refuse to go back. They aren't showing symptoms so they are leaving Thailand and heading elsewhere in Asia. Many are heading to Japan and other destinations. That's OK for us in Thailand. But not so good for Japan. According to what we are hearing it won't be OK to travel (to China) till June.

We are scheduled to take the Millennium to Vancouver in May. We do this sailing every year along with many Chinese families heading home to Canada, most returning after extended stays in China. 

No one knows and anyone that states otherwise is guessing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailfish said:

Just cancel your cruise and you have no more worry. No?

While none of know for sure, I would expect that Celebrity may increase screening at boarding time and isolate anyone that might become ill while on board.   Besides that, 4 months is a long time for things to sort out and more clarity to be known.

2 hours ago, rose6 said:

You should call Celebrity and ask them.  I read today that several major cruise lines are cancelling their China cruises.  We don't  know if other Asian ports will be affected. 

Do you have a link showing the cruises that were cancelled?

https://www.cruisehive.com/deadly-coronavirus-forces-cruise-lines-to-cancel-china-sailings/37185

these are the only cruises I have seen cancelled...to the best of my knowledge, these cruises were 4 and 5 day cruises leaving from China going to Japan...so the majority of the passengers would be Chinese.

I'm going on the Millennium in March and it's still available to purchase on X's site. There are even Feb Asian cruises that can still be purchased....not nearly as many China stops aside from Hong Kong, but many of these areas already have confirmed cases.

I'm simply trying to follow the data but just want more that hearsay...no offense

6 minutes ago, rose6 said:

Please refer to the article on today's cruise critic web site for cruise news.

I still suggest you call Celebrity  as they might have better information than anyone here on the discussion boards.

you mean this article?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5016/

the one that says the same as the one I posted. 

X's phones are jammed right now. My cruise is 45 days out so I know what they will say as things can turn for the better quickly. My point was, you statement was vague and misleading. While not untrue, there are not mass cancellations. There are the few short cruises from China to Japan that, more than likely, affect very few in this thread or on this board...I know that's an assumption, but I'm comfortable making it. I'm only asking for anyone making statements of this nature, to post the link where they are reading it so misinformation isn't being spread. I genuinely appreciate everyone that is posting links. There is a lot of info and a lot of sources, so thanks to the ones trying to make all of that info in a centralized place.

here the full text....

We are closely following developments in consultation with the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control, and local health officials and have taken precautionary measures to ensure the well-being of our guests and crewmembers. Our guests are receiving enhanced, public health screenings at the China and Singapore terminals and secondary screenings by local health authorities. On guidance from government officials, boarding will be denied for anyone who lives in, or recently passed through, any city or province under government travel restrictions. We continue to provide onboard medical consultations, sanitize high-traffic areas on our vessels, and work directly with guests on any itinerary modifications. Please be advised that, at this time, normal cancellation policies apply. 

15 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Just cancel your cruise and you have no more worry. No?

This is the OP... I live in Asia so I am not anymore concerned than anyone else here in Thailand. There are discussions here by Healthcare professionals that this virus could be a concern here until June. I am not talking about the US where it seems things are under better control. 

I will be heading to North America on the Millennium. We have some US news coverage via international stations like the BBC and stuff online. I was really more curious how things are shaping up there in the US as opposed to Asia where I am. 

No, I won't be canceling my cruise. It's heading to North America, not Asia. I am sure Celebrity and my US based cruise agent will keep me posted as to my cruises status. 

Suzi

I'm on the same cruise as you-Millenium from Yokohama to Vancouver BC.  I have travel insurance, just in case.  we have a good 90 days for things to clear up...I'm hoping we see it clear up by then.  If we get to 30 days out and things are not good, I will be more concerned.  

I won't live in fear.  If its my time, then I'd rather be cruisin' when it happens 🙂

Edited by nyc2pdx
  • Like 1

I am booked on the Millenium for the March 14 cruise, Hong Kong to Shanghai.

Just called Celebrity yesterday and the representative just read me the official corporate policy. (No official confirmation on the status of our sailing or its itinerary).

This said, on Celebrity’s web site, it is published as we speak, that travellers or even crew having been in Hong Kong or China within 14 days of embarkation will be refused. (full refund).

Furthermore, I have learned on our roll call, that the Feb 29 cruise of the Millenium, which was scheduled to terminate in Hong Kong, will now terminate in Tokyo.

As a result, our scheduled stopbin Tianjin would be cancelled, and debarkation would occur in Singapore instead of Shanghai. A stop in Vietnam would be added. ( This is unofficial information, not yet confirmed to me by Celebrity. Confirmation is hoped or expected next week).

If the logic is followed, this would mean that you may have to wait until the end if March, beginning of April prior to be able to have any news on your itinerary. The evolution of the Coronavirus, taking into account measures taken, is still hard to predict for anyone, even for cruise line planners.

Right now the numbers are increasing.  If it were me I would cancel and book something else.  That way you would not have to sweat it.  You have people being quarantined in the US for two weeks.  Not something that I would want to go through.  Will the issue be gone in May?  That is too difficult to predict.

You could wait until right before your 90 days cancellation.  However waiting until then may limit your rebooking something else for May.

I just came from the airport Friday.  There seemed to be some concern there even though it is not an issue in the US.  You saw people with their masks on.

Edited by NMTraveller

My concern would not be if the cruise will be sailing.

My concern at the moment would be if your flight to get to the cruise is still flying.

Many airlines have halted all flights to Hong Kong and Shanghai until further notice.

I realize the poster has a bit of time however others cruising in February and March may find their cruise sailing but have no air to get there.

Hi there... I began this thread. We are in Thailand and before this cruise in May, we are going scuba diving in the Philippines two weeks prior. Luckily we have low cost flights to Tokyo the day before. We are flexible and can travel  back to North America at anytime. But the Millennium would be our first choice. Thailand has things very much under control. As does most of South East Asia. But I personally wouldn't go to Singapore as the Chinese for better or worse can't come into Thailand. Many are heading to Singapore and Myanmar as they aren't being allowed to remain in Thailand. Can't blame them for not wanting to go back to China. 

My concern really is more with our departure and arrival date that could be affected by changes happening now and the need to get the ship back to North America. We will be heading back to Asia on the Millennium in September after our visit to the US.