Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

Once the announcement was made that we were not going to be allowed to disembark in Sri Lanka, the staff made its best efforts to stop everyone and reassure them that safety and health comes first, and everything is being done to make sure we arrive in Australia healthy. 
  With everything I read here about customer care and business , remember that the virus is not covered by anyone’s insurance, including Seabourn, so if you are uncomfortable about travel right now, take the credit and book something for a year from now. The other option is to stay home and lose your deposit, so the cruise line is offering everyone a one year break. 
 With any luck, countries will stop the of banning cruise ship passengers, or airline ones, and treat the virus medically for what it is. 
 They say 40% of the world will get the virus in some form over the next couple of years, I’m not sure shutting down the world will really help. 
  If you want a guaranteed cruise with no changes , no deposit, no penalties, I think put your holidays on ice for three years. The simple  way is to simply wait until you feel comfortable about travel and book at whatever the deal is at that time for the trip you want, if you haven’t noticed, cruise lines will always want your business, it’s only a matter of price. 
   Meanwhile, tomorrow, after four days at sea, we pick up supplies and sail down to Australia, where I know many of you take for granted, but I know 500 people ready to declare Broome the center of the universe once we get to step foot there. 
 Enjoy all your planning, meanwhile last night was formal attire , life goes on. 

• Like 3

Greetings Catlover.

Yes you can, it's a roughly a 40% on cost.     I had a discussion at a recent Travel Show with an insurer.

You first  have to negotiate any refunds for the different components of a holiday  - Cruise, Air, Hotels and other tour packages booked.    After this the insurance provider reviews the situation regarding a refund.

There are apparently limitations as to the overall refund from the insurance, it was suggested $5-10k.    It all sounded rather iffy, and you end up at the mercy of the insurer.    

So perhaps spending $30-40k with an uncertain refund situation is not the best!!.

34 minutes ago, naata said:

Greetings Catlover.

Yes you can, it's a roughly a 40% on cost.     I had a discussion at a recent Travel Show with an insurer.

You first  have to negotiate any refunds for the different components of a holiday  - Cruise, Air, Hotels and other tour packages booked.    After this the insurance provider reviews the situation regarding a refund.

There are apparently limitations as to the overall refund from the insurance, it was suggested $5-10k.    It all sounded rather iffy, and you end up at the mercy of the insurer.    

So perhaps spending $30-40k with an uncertain refund situation is not the best!!.

I believe that you also have to purchase this type of insurance within 14 days after the first deposit.

Quoting Westmount:

"...With everything I read here about customer care and business , remember that the virus is not covered by anyone’s insurance, including Seabourn, so if you are uncomfortable about travel right now, take the credit and book something for a year from now. The other option is to stay home and lose your deposit, so the cruise line is offering everyone a one year break. "

wrong, those caught on SB cruise departures from 21 Feb, when this was announced,  until (now) 01 April, have till Dec 2020 to book.

Those cruising between 01April on get the Customer Confidence (trick ?) ...can FCC till Dec 31 2021.

We have this 38 day cruise on Sojourn, followed by medical back home, followed by 7 weeks on Crystal finishing late Nov 2020... how the hell am I supposed to book another SB trip at a time that suits me to travel BEFORE DEC 31st 2020...

That is the problem for all of us facing things now... but SB just wont lift their game. Still NIL response to emails, call centre not empowered to do or confirm anything.

Poor show.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zimflyer said:

I dont feel your response to be impartial... naata was just saying that for long haul trips we tend to book more than a cruise. No suggestion was made to reimburse independent travel additional to the cruise....

You are VERY defensive of Seabourn, but is it fair to:

Change itinerary 100% including a DIFFERENT START and END port

Announce such modified within the 30 day , 100% CXL fee date...

Offer only FFC to be booked on sailing BEFORE 31.12.2020, when we dont know whether cruise companies will sail or even be in liquidation if all sadly goes wrong...

and for those who elect to continue to

1. Pay costs of new airfares, hotels to the new completely different start/end ports. 

2. Not be guarranteed any certain refund on these or the costs of cancellation of airfares, hotels forfeited as ship will no longer be starting there.

(On Sojourn our 38 day voyage  was Singapore to Sydney via Asia and Eastern Aust. Now its 100% different trip, Perth to Auckland via ports, places likely well known, visited already by travelled Australians)...

I believe Naata was just saying  who wears the disruption and amendment costs. Certainly all should be aware that in many cases when booking from Australia, there is no Seabourn air option, so we have to book independently.

Sad to see such sniping, put yourself in the shoes of those who are on the cusp of boarding now, with less timeframe to alter  amend or cancel plans ...

...and bear in mind because we were advised of itinerary change within 30 days,  we have no luxury of partial refund and partial FCC  for 18 months plus. WE GET NO CHOICE OR A FFC DURING A TIME WHEN WE DONT KNOW WHAT WILL EVENTUATE...

My supposition is that the Sojourn World Cruise must complete  Australia is rightly the best option for that....but for the unlucky Aussies and others on the 14  15 or 38 days sectord. TOUGH...

Lets be fairer to all in this difficult time  I am prepared to make allowance fir circumstances beyond Seabourn control, but they ought to do the same when clients are in similar difficulty with amended trips.

Essentially we are being told to behave to suit the corporation... not being treated as the well-marketed ' honored guests ' 

If you cannot see that, are not booked for a voyage shortly  and want to attack those concerned,  you do not make a good impression here...

I ask all who read this to tell me if I have this wrong... I hope not, but if so, I am quite prepared to save the daily effort to stand up for our cause...

You are not wrong. I have lost more than $5,000 and have filed with SB but haven't heard back yet about reimbursement. We had nonfundable, nontransferable and non rerouteable business class air from Sydney to SFO but disembarkation was changed to New Zealand.  Prior to that we were supposed to embark in  Singapore and I had booked from SFO to Singapore thru Hong Kong. I had nonrefundable hotel arrangements in Singapore. I had to change that air as well and cancel my air. Everything was very last minute. I switched my cruise to Sri Lanka to Athens April 17th and now am hearing about problems in Sri Lanka. Initially when I wanted to cancel Seabourn told me I could receive a 100% cruise credit on a cruise that was within a 0% non refundable rate period. I was told I had to take a cruise that was going to leave within 30 days of my March 22nd cruise. This caused me to panic because I had to try to find new air in a short period of time. Once I decided on the April 17th sailing of Encore and got the air SB sent an email that said I had until December 2020 to rebook  but I was tired of spending so many hours on arranging business class air, hotels and looking for new tours and also I didn't have time this summer or fall before December 2020 that would work so I Kept the April 17th cruise on Encore. If from day 1, I was told I had until December 2021 I would have waited but that was not an option for me and we couldn't afford to lose the cost of our 38 day cruise for two.  We had saved for that trip for many years.   I feel stress and trying to put together hotels, air and tours for a whole new trip was not the fun that we had planned especially not knowing if we will be allowed to disembark or if I will lose my investment in tours. Also with new out breaks if we could cancel it until 2021 I would definitely take that as an option. But to date that option has not been offered to us.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zimflyer said:

Quoting Westmount:

"...With everything I read here about customer care and business , remember that the virus is not covered by anyone’s insurance, including Seabourn, so if you are uncomfortable about travel right now, take the credit and book something for a year from now. The other option is to stay home and lose your deposit, so the cruise line is offering everyone a one year break. "

wrong, those caught on SB cruise departures from 21 Feb, when this was announced,  until (now) 01 April, have till Dec 2020 to book.

Those cruising between 01April on get the Customer Confidence (trick ?) ...can FCC till Dec 31 2021.

We have this 38 day cruise on Sojourn, followed by medical back home, followed by 7 weeks on Crystal finishing late Nov 2020... how the hell am I supposed to book another SB trip at a time that suits me to travel BEFORE DEC 31st 2020...

That is the problem for all of us facing things now... but SB just wont lift their game. Still NIL response to emails, call centre not empowered to do or confirm anything.

Poor show.

Perhaps I am wrong but: I took a future cruise credit for a cruise due to leave March 10.  I booked a future cruise already for August 1.  I had to pay deposit for my future cruise.  Even though I am using a credit toward it, it is a new cruise.  The date is between April 1 and Dec 2020.  It seems to me that I can now defer that cruise for yet a different one that would sail before 12/21.

19 hours ago, DWF said:

I just spoke to a Seabourn representative and they sent me this link to a new policy for canceling currently booked trips:

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/book-with-confidence.html

Having just spoken to my United Kingdom travel agent and I am informed that this "Book with Confidence Policy" is not applicable to Seabourn passengers from the UK. To say this annoys and concerns me is an understatement in the extreme. Has anyone any further thoughts on this situation?    

UK consumer law works differently to US laws.

This  link below was posted by another poster on a thread I started ( at the moment a little lower down the topics page). It explains what your rights are in UK law in a range of situations that may be applicable. Unfortunately, if you make a booking and then just get cold feet,  you will not currently  be able to cancel without penalty, whereas US customers will have that option as outlined by SB. But then again, there are cancellation options available to US customers in normal times that are not available to UK passengers. However, Seabourn are trying to accommodate their passengers, so if you are having real concerns about an upcoming booking, speak to SB through your TA.  The advice  in the link may make you a little more confident about making a  booking, if you are concerned about that.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/a-change-was-made-to-my-cruise-itinerary-can-i-get-a-refund

• Like 1

I realize that this article does not involve a Seabourn ship, but it does show what no one wants to have happen on their cruise during this virus epidemic.  I think everyone will be watching to see what happens with this ship and its crew and passengers:  https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-05/coronavirus-ca-princess-cruise-containment?fbclid=IwAR0z1oRozZ0gfO4feD0I7hhSeBXmRcToNYuoYCKKOJuttkmCIEUhbeIvSf8

Note--this is NOT the Princess Diamond, but a second Princess ship which has run into difficulties surrounding the virus.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, skybarshrek said:

Having just spoken to my United Kingdom travel agent and I am informed that this "Book with Confidence Policy" is not applicable to Seabourn passengers from the UK. To say this annoys and concerns me is an understatement in the extreme. Has anyone any further thoughts on this situation?    

My UK travel agent has sent me an email setting out the Book with Confidence policy in relation to my summer 2020 cruise so I'd check again with your agent.

I see a news story here in Canada this morning that NEW purchasers of travel insurance from two major carriers will not be reimbursed for cancellations caused by Covid19. That risk is now known.

2 hours ago, Mr Gee said:

My UK travel agent has sent me an email setting out the Book with Confidence policy in relation to my summer 2020 cruise so I'd check again with your agent.

I've just received the 'Book with Confidence' email, direct from SB. Assume will hear from TA in the morning.

UK customer.

13 hours ago, ael123 said:

You are not wrong. I have lost more than $5,000 and have filed with SB but haven't heard back yet about reimbursement. We had nonfundable, nontransferable and non rerouteable business class air from Sydney to SFO but disembarkation was changed to New Zealand.  Prior to that we were supposed to embark in  Singapore and I had booked from SFO to Singapore thru Hong Kong. I had nonrefundable hotel arrangements in Singapore. I had to change that air as well and cancel my air. Everything was very last minute. I switched my cruise to Sri Lanka to Athens April 17th and now am hearing about problems in Sri Lanka. Initially when I wanted to cancel Seabourn told me I could receive a 100% cruise credit on a cruise that was within a 0% non refundable rate period. I was told I had to take a cruise that was going to leave within 30 days of my March 22nd cruise. This caused me to panic because I had to try to find new air in a short period of time. Once I decided on the April 17th sailing of Encore and got the air SB sent an email that said I had until December 2020 to rebook  but I was tired of spending so many hours on arranging business class air, hotels and looking for new tours and also I didn't have time this summer or fall before December 2020 that would work so I Kept the April 17th cruise on Encore. If from day 1, I was told I had until December 2021 I would have waited but that was not an option for me and we couldn't afford to lose the cost of our 38 day cruise for two.  We had saved for that trip for many years.   I feel stress and trying to put together hotels, air and tours for a whole new trip was not the fun that we had planned especially not knowing if we will be allowed to disembark or if I will lose my investment in tours. Also with new out breaks if we could cancel it until 2021 I would definitely take that as an option. But to date that option has not been offered to us.  

Hi I do not know if this helps you or not but I have just been speaking to Seabourn regarding our cruise and they told me that everyone has the twelve months option. 

Please let us know AEL123, what airline or what type of fare allows no changes even for a fee?!   I really think we have always booked the most cost effective flights on the Star Alliance network and have never heard of such a fare.   Definitely want to avoid it in the future.   I can believe the non transferable part but not the change or rerouting.   We have had to pay fees, but have always been able to make changes with a reasonable reason.   Even United is not that bad especially with Business First fares.

Turkish Airlines is an exception to Star Alliance then. I’ve got a non refundable, no changes business class ticket. If you cancel, the ticket has no value whatsoever. I’m booked on Turkish from Miami to Singapore via Istanbul. Couldn’t make any changes, so had to buy a ticket on Singapore air to Sri Lanka . Let the buyer aware !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Please let us know AEL123, what airline or what type of fare allows no changes even for a fee?!   I really think we have always booked the most cost effective flights on the Star Alliance network and have never heard of such a fare.   Definitely want to avoid it in the future.   I can believe the non transferable part but not the change or rerouting.   We have had to pay fees, but have always been able to make changes with a reasonable reason.   Even United is not that bad especially with Business First fares.

My business class tickets were purchased on Philippine Airlines from Sydney with a stop in Manila and then on to San Francisco. I never heard of non-refundable, non-transferable and non-re-route able. I bought the tickets through Skylux travel. I only found out when I called them to let them know about the change from leaving from Sydney to leaving from New Zealand. I did complete a form with Seabourn to get my money back since they changed the itinerary. I haven't heard anything back from them.  I hope I can get my money back.

I often use air miles for cruise travel and, depending on the carrier and change restrictions, will often book two one-way tickets versus a single ticket as some allow no changes after travel has started.  Currently for our upcoming travel for the transatlantic, we purchased inexpensive tickets DFW-MIA to get to the cruise and booked business class awards to go BCN-DFW home.  I can cancel those with no penalty up until the day of departure so I feel like we are in decent shape should we have a last minute change in disembarkation.

My only worry at this point is not the virus itself... it’s reactionary travel restrictions forcing a delay in my return home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, Mr Gee said:

I haven't been seeing this thread for the last couple of days. I just received the Book with Confidence email and I have just emailed my UK TA to see whether it applies to our reservation. I have read the Terms & Conditions and nowhere does it say it is limited to US bookings. I suppose CruiseCritic won't let you post the name of your TA because of their restrictions on advertising but perhaps you can give us a clue?

Our reservation isn't until 14 October but it just falls within the window which expires on 15 October. We have been assuming/hoping that this will no longer be a significant issue by then but it would be very comforting to know we have this as a backstop.

30 minutes ago, norm2002 said:

I have read the Terms & Conditions and nowhere does it say it is limited to US bookings.

I agree, norm2002 -- nothing in Seabourn's Book With Confidence policy says that it's limited to US customers.  I hope your TA can reassure you on this point, but I think that if the policy were intended to apply only to some booked guests, it was SB's responsibility to clearly state that.  

3 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I can cancel those with no penalty up until the day of departure so I feel like we are in decent shape should we have a last minute change in disembarkation.

I assume you have top loyalty status with the airline.