Anyone concern about the Coronavirus and cruising

mouche

We cancelled our Carnival cruise due to leave on March 9 from Los Angeles area. We got a partial refund.  I'm wondering if they end up cancelling the cruise altogether if we should have waited to get full refund.

41 minutes ago, arizonavol said:

We cancelled our Carnival cruise due to leave on March 9 from Los Angeles area. We got a partial refund.  I'm wondering if they end up cancelling the cruise altogether if we should have waited to get full refund.

Leaving March 8th on a Carnival cruise from Long Beach . . . . don't expect any problems here yet.

• Like 2

Leaving on the 7th out of Long Beach.  No worries on my side, I plan on enjoying my vacation.

Maybe if my cruise was leaving in 4 to 6 weeks from now, I would change my tune or wait a few weeks to decide the impact to the US.  But as of today, yep I am cruising.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cadiesmom said:

We are scheduled to cruise on the Magic on Sunday. Have to admit--I'm getting a little nervous. Not because of the virus, but because of the potential for cancelled ports and or a quarantine. 

This is my exact worry as well.  I just read all of the blog posted in the above link..they were supposed to be released today and were not..it's insane.  As of now I'm just waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks.  I don't leave until 5/2.  Maybe as it spreads and people realize it's more like the flu than ebola, things will settle down a little.  

• Like 2

I'm sailing out of Long Beach May 9-16th. I have no plans to cancel, but am fully prepared for it to be canceled out from under us. If it is, we'll go when we can.

I'm also flying to visit family within the next few weeks. If anything I'm more worried about that, as I heard that if one single person on a flight later tests positive, the CDC will contact all passengers on that flight and make them self quarantine. I consider air travel much more risky than being on a cruise. 

• Like 1

We're leaving on March 16 and scheduled to go to Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman.  From the news today, it's not looking good. We're pretty flexible and usually ok with any changes, but we purposely chose GC so we could visit my partner's daughter, who lives on the island. Oh well, it is what it is...... Hopefully this all dies down sooner than later.

21 hours ago, ikaika99 said:

I will admit, that at times I get a inside cabin to save costs, but this time I sprung for a balcony in case we have a extended stay on the ship 🙂

good idea, fresh air will do you good

21 hours ago, Cadiesmom said:

We are scheduled to cruise on the Magic on Sunday. Have to admit--I'm getting a little nervous. Not because of the virus, but because of the potential for cancelled ports and or a quarantine. 

12 hours ago, rexy69 said:

We're leaving on March 16 and scheduled to go to Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman.  From the news today, it's not looking good. We're pretty flexible and usually ok with any changes, but we purposely chose GC so we could visit my partner's daughter, who lives on the island. Oh well, it is what it is...... Hopefully this all dies down sooner than later.

This was also my concern.  Someone just posted a TMZ article 

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/01/carnival-cruise-line-full-refunds-credit-coronavirus-patients/

If this is true, I think it could make a difference to the decision making of those ports who are refusing ships.  I'm keeping my eye on it. 

25 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

This was also my concern.  Someone just posted a TMZ article 

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/01/carnival-cruise-line-full-refunds-credit-coronavirus-patients/

If this is true, I think it could make a difference to the decision making of those ports who are refusing ships.  I'm keeping my eye on it. 

To update, this is the response from Carnival regarding the article.  

The coronavirus story on TMZ is misleading and inaccurate as it does not adequately convey Carnival Cruise Line’s policies and response, which follow guidelines established by medical experts including the CDC and World Health Organization, as well as the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). We have requested that TMZ correct their story. Carnival Cruise Line is operating its normal itineraries in North America and Australia. Since the travel restrictions have gone into place, all of Carnival Cruise Line’s ships have been cleared to sail multiple times without incident (we have not cancelled any voyages). Protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation with respect to Coronavirus. Our medical experts are coordinating with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) and have implemented enhanced screening, prevention and control measures for our ships, guests and crew. All booked guests who have traveled to/from or through China, Hong Kong, Iran, Macau and South Korea in the 14 days prior to their departure will not be allowed to sail. We also have added screening measures at our terminals to identify public health risks related to COVID-19. If a guest meets the criteria that prohibits them from sailing we provide a refund. While we tried to get TMZ to understand our policies, the story that was posted did not reflect the facts.

We are not sure what to do.  We leave on March 22 for the Southern Caribbean, flying out of San Juan.  The scare could die down some by then, or explode.  We have insurance, but would still not get back all of our money because as others have stated, it's not a reason listed.  I have read that some airlines are refunding or giving credit for a future flight but don't know if that is true.  We have until March 9 to get any $$ back, so guess will weigh the pros and cons. 

3 hours ago, 2PinaColadas said:

We are not sure what to do.  We leave on March 22 for the Southern Caribbean, flying out of San Juan.  The scare could die down some by then, or explode.  We have insurance, but would still not get back all of our money because as others have stated, it's not a reason listed.  I have read that some airlines are refunding or giving credit for a future flight but don't know if that is true.  We have until March 9 to get any $$ back, so guess will weigh the pros and cons. 

I’m doing the same cruise as you a few weeks later. 

While I do expect the scare to die down some, I’m not confident that will happen that quickly. 
I think right now we are going to continue to see different areas of outbreaks pop up and further destinations that are recommended not to travel to (or allowed to arrive from). 

That’s why I had the conversation with my husband about whether or not we’d be ok with a cruise to no where. 

31 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

That’s why I had the conversation with my husband about whether or not we’d be ok with a cruise to no where.

you are not going on a cruise to no where, don't worry so much

17 minutes ago, coevan said:

you are not going on a cruise to no where, don't worry so much

I agree. I was just trying to think of worst case scenario that would cause us to cancel at this point.   We still wouldn’t if it was a cruise to nowhere. Basically if the ship sails we are on her. 

we have plans If carnival cancels (which I doubt as well). 

Headed out on the 15th on the pride out of baltimore. Looks like we chose wisely this time; no reported cases there and the ports to the Bahamas have no issues either. We'll just be diligent hand washers at the airport.

Should I stay or should I go?

We fly to LAX then Uber/Lyft to Long Beach in a few days for the Panorama on March 7th.  It would appear while there is risk with everything it is still low however ships and no real validation in place of travels other than the honor system does bring concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NereusJ said:

Should I stay or should I go?

We fly to LAX then Uber/Lyft to Long Beach in a few days for the Panorama on March 7th.  It would appear while there is risk with everything it is still low however ships and no real validation in place of travels other than the honor system does bring concern.

I hope you have a great cruise!  We cruised on the Panorama in December and had a wonderful time.

Another cruise ship (Grand Princess) likely entering quarantine- crazy! 

I still will not cancel my cruise, but I am keeping my expectations low when it comes to actually getting to go, as I find it more likely by the  day that there will be domestic travel restrictions both with airlines and cruise lines. 

If I DO get to go, I'm packing with the possibility of quarantine in mind. Bring extra medications and forms of in-cabin entertainment. 

• Thanks 1