Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

2 hours ago, Lou33 said:

1)  Why is NCL the only cruise line that has not pulled out of Hong Kong?

2)  When will you post updates?

3)  What will happen if our flights to/from Hong Kong are canceled?

4)  What will happen if we depart from Hong Kong, and Singapore refuses to accept passengers who have visited Hong Kong?

5)  Why won't you connect us to a person who has more information regarding the status of our cruise?

I'm going to answer sarcastically:

1)  "Because we've yet to find an alternative port with supplies and staffing for embarkment/disbarkment as cheap HK

2)  "See the answer to number one"

3)  "Hope you purchased outbreak insurance"

4)  "Extra sea day, supplies are expensive in Singapore anyways"

5)  "See the answer to number one"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lou33 said:

The title of this thread is very accurate.  NCL is being very unresponsive.   My TA and I were just on a call with NCL for an hour regarding our Jade Feb 17 cruise, and we got nowhere.  The agents would only repeat the same canned response:  "there are currently no itinerary changes, and your safety is our highest priority".  

We had the same experience when calling NCL. One supervisor recommended emailing Vivian Ewart, VP of Guest Relations. It’s a long shot, but maybe if enough people do it NCL may decide to do the responsible thing and cancel/offer credits.  The email address they gave us was: Askvivian@ncl.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

We had the same experience when calling NCL. One supervisor recommended emailing Vivian Ewart, VP of Guest Relations. It’s a long shot, but maybe if enough people do it NCL may decide to do the responsible thing and cancel/offer credits.  The email address they gave us was: Askvivian@ncl.com

We too are flip flopping with this upcoming cruise. As an asthmatic I've been told I have a good case re: opening a claim with our insurer ( I already have doctor's letter).  A credit was refused by NCL, however with ongoing developments,  I can't help but feel that they will have to be proactive and either cancel, or provide credits.  Things are turning quickly and not for the the better.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

That's not the right email and my understanding is that Vivian is no working with NCL. Think someone was playing games with you.....or are you the one playing games with us???? Hmmmm.

57 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

1)  "Because we've yet to find an alternative port with supplies and staffing for embarkment/disbarkment as cheap HK

2)  "See the answer to number one"

3)  "Hope you purchased outbreak insurance"

4)  "Extra sea day, supplies are expensive in Singapore anyways"

5)  "See the answer to number one"

I love it. Truth disguised as sarcasm.

Make no mistake. This is the business model. Careless, cheap, and whatever generates the most profit for NCL.

To update on Diamond Princess, CNBC and USAToday reporting confirmed cases have increased from 1 to 10, all of course, are hospitalized. Sounds like ship will be quarantined for 14 days. Guests being provided food, free internet and phone.

Edited by blcruising

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Probably not as cheap, but RCI ended a cruise in Singapore instead of Hong Kong and is then starting the next cruise in Singapore instead of Hong Kong, scheduled to make stops in the Philippines, should be OK since the ship did not go to China or Hong Kong.  Evidently NCL cannot or will not do the same. 

1 hour ago, Masekr11 said:

The current VP of Guest Relations is Katty Byrd.  No idea what the email is, but maybe ask the social media contacts for assistance in escalating the issue past the call center reps?  socialmedia@nclcorp.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Masekr11 said:

First, Vivian was replaced at the end of last year. Second, any emails going to Kathy or any senior leader are automatically routed to minimum wage call center personnel who are authorized to respond with legal-approved canned messages. Senior leader's external facing email addresses are just an extension of the generic guest relations email. They only look at their internal (never to be disclosed) email. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Second, any emails going to Kathy or any senior leader are automatically routed to minimum wage call center personnel who are authorized to respond with legal-approved canned messages. Senior leader's external facing email addresses are just an extension of the generic guest relations email. They only look at their internal (never to be disclosed) email. 

Hi. Based on my experiences, this couldn't be further from the truth. I've received a personal email response from Vivian on more than one occasion. My experience is that if you are respectful and succinct in what you want to say positive or negative, you have a high likelihood of getting a response. You're welcome to your own opinion, but please don't make stuff up.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Probably not as cheap, but RCI ended a cruise in Singapore instead of Hong Kong and ... next cruise in Singapore instead ... stops in the Philippines, should be OK since the ship did not go to China or Hong Kong.  Evidently NCL cannot or will not do the same. 

NCL is going to ... Hong Kong port's provisioning are/were (flown, trucked, shipped & railed) imported, most of it coming from cross-border commerce, that is, inland or mainland China - things like vegetables, fruits, produce, meat & poultry, eggs, rice & beans.   The supply chain in HK in a self-inflicted panic/crisis mode of "defensive" hoarding.  Folks (5,000 of them) stood in line, camp outside in the "cold" overnight to stock up on a limited shipment - sadly - of surgical & N95 masks.

In short, if NCL 's Asia operation is thinking that they can continue to sneak under the maritime radar by porting the Jade this month, best of luck & wishes - with a Plan B in place for alternate & extra provisioning, in case the ship is placed under quarantined somewhere for 14 days.   

P.S.  breaking news coming thru on AP online - 10 confirmed coronavirus cases on the Princess ship that sailed from HK port, now under "Q" for at least 14 days - pax & crew staying onboard, more details to follow.  "Google" the details yourself.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

To update on Diamond Princess, CNBC and USAToday reporting confirmed cases have increased from 1 to 10, all of course, are hospitalized. Sounds like ship will be quarantined for 14 days. Guests being provided food, free internet and phone.

This will probably be a deal breaker for us.  I don't think we are going on our Jade Feb 17 cruise regardless of money.  That first passenger was on the previous Diamond Princess cruise from Yokohama to Hong Kong.  He is now hospitalized in Hong Kong.  But there are now 10 new cases on the trip back from Hong Kong to Yokohama.  That will not be a fun 14 days for those 3700 people who are stuck on the ship.  Not to mention the people who got the virus.

NCL are you listening?  Are you really going to bring the Jade back into Hong Kong knowing the latest developments?

Edited by Lou33

The Jade left Hong Kong on January 30 and is due to arrive in Singapore on February 6.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Singapore government quarantines the Jade and all passengers as a precaution.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Hi. Based on my experiences, this couldn't be further from the truth. I've received a personal email response from Vivian on more than one occasion. My experience is that if you are respectful and succinct in what you want to say positive or negative, you have a high likelihood of getting a response. You're welcome to your own opinion, but please don't make stuff up.

Sent from a guest service call center who signed her name. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t too worried about this before, but now that there’s been this big an outbreak, this changes everything. The scary thing is that the passenger who apparently spread the princess Cruise’s virus, wasn’t even on the now-Quarantined sailing...he was on a sailing in mid to late January!

7 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

The Jade left Hong Kong on January 30 and is due to arrive in Singapore on February 6.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Singapore government quarantines the Jade and all passengers as a precaution.   

Good point, I think it's a strong possibility.

I recently got off the Jade which embarked/disembarked in Singapore.  They are on the other side of the dateline and therefore 16 hours ahead of PST/West Coast and 19 hours ahead of EST/East Coast so we actually should find out what happens with Singapore pretty soon.  Wouldn't it be possible that Singapore turns them away compared to quarantine the ship?

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

My goodness. I’m staying in a studio for my March flroida cruise. Can you imagine being quarantined to a studio for 14 days? That’s the size of a jail cell. Makes me consider wanting to pay for a balcony upgrade. Not so concerned about myself getting seriously ill, but I’m travelling with someone elderly. Really hoping that they can keep all the infections within country borders. I’m coming from Canada so who knows...doubt they would close our border but who knows. 

• Like 1

More breaking news, coming out of Hong Kong as of noon, 5th of Feb. local time ... the World Dream (Gentlings) homeport in HK returned to Kai Tak Cruise Terminal one day early, after being denied for its scheduled port visit in Taiwan yesterday (4th Feb) - as 3 of its ex-passengers that already disembarked last month tested positive afterward for the coronavirus.  

Just got words of this from our overseas connections - posted in local online news network -  (ship's design looking familiar, huh - the *Away/+ class built in the same shipyard)

https://std.stheadline.com/instant/articles/detail/1194539/即時-香港-武漢肺炎-曾載3確診乘客-世界夢號-抵港-衛生署人員登船檢疫

Second news source w. a short video of the "World Dream" docked at KTCT in Kowloon, HK

https://hk.on.cc/fea/hkdisease/content.html?id=bkn-20200205102529450-0205_00822_001&newTab

Google Translate this ("traditional Chinese") to English

A very brief summary - ship has about 1,800 pax on this sailing, being kept & checked by health officials & testing done as warranted - on a previous sailing, it was reported that the Dream has 1,814 crew members & ship officers on board.  All crews members staying on the ship and 90% of the passengers are said to be HK residents or from that locale ...  There are no mainland China residents on this sailing, the other 10% are from other countries.  (Footnote - mine - this is considered by many to be a CAS style cruise for locals, very few - if any - oversea cruisers booked & sail on the Dream)

It is speculated, that pending additional screening, everyone will be kept in quarantine - NOT confirmed - on the ship for 14 days, unable to leave the ship without permission from authorities.  Local health officials did stated that there are reports of those onboard not feeling well and reported symptoms commonly associated with viral infection ... which can be the not so "simple" seasonal flu (30+ crews reported among the total 1,800 crew onboard as having some symptoms, labs taken with resultings pending - 3 with fever indicated, being taken to local facilities for further isolation & evaluations, etc.) 

World Dream's sailing, originally scheduled to begin on 6th Feb, 2020 has been cancelled and affected.  

It is not a nice picture, undoubtly sparking more fear, panic & anxiety ... feeling sad to share/offer the news, trying as best to be neutral & impartial and fair with the details.  

Memo to NCL social media, from one of your Latitude P+ circles here on CC, best to pay attention and tuned to your best localized resources in HK to re-evaluate and assess.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, blcruising said:

That's not the right email and my understanding is that Vivian is no working with NCL. Think someone was playing games with you.....or are you the one playing games with us???? Hmmmm.

What do I have to gain by playing games?  I clearly stated that my vacation is being impacted and I’m facing a financial loss. I was merely sharing what NCL told me in an effort to help guests in a similar situation. To those of you who politely informed me Vivian is no longer with NCL, thank you. I’m now even more upset that the NCL supervisor flat out lied to me.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, blcruising said:

So, why should we (who do not know the truth, in this regard) believe you are not making stuff up?? 😉

I posted the following, on another NCL thread Monday morning this week:

'There is no organisation, WHO or otherwise advising not to travel to HK on a cruise ship. If that position changes, then it's a new ball game'.

That was the position 48 hours ago.....but now, I honestly believe it is becoming a 'new ball game' based on reports today! NCL would be foolish to stand their ground, based on these reports....assuming they are factual. Watch this space!