Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

6 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

My goodness. I’m staying in a studio for my March flroida cruise. Can you imagine being quarantined to a studio for 14 days? That’s the size of a jail cell. Makes me consider wanting to pay for a balcony upgrade. Not so concerned about myself getting seriously ill, but I’m travelling with someone elderly. Really hoping that they can keep all the infections within country borders. I’m coming from Canada so who knows...doubt they would close our border but who knows. 

Having some similar thoughts here... I think I would go stir crazy in that cabin if confined for 2 days never mind 2 weeks. 

56 minutes ago, hamrag said:

So, why should we (who do not know the truth, in this regard) believe you are not making stuff up?? 😉

Hahaha, look, buddy. I have about 100 things to do today. Trying to convince you why you should believe something I wrote on cruisecritic is number 101. What I wrote......happened. Believe it or ignore it. I couldn't care less. Have a productive day!!

10 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Hahaha, look, buddy. I have about 100 things to do today. Trying to convince you why you should believe something I wrote on cruisecritic is number 101. What I wrote......happened. Believe it or ignore it. I couldn't care less. Have a productive day!!

You've clearly had the most productive of days, having already done the 100 other things......unless that is not true, and if that is the case........

My main issue with your earlier post was the fact you were accusing someone else of making stuff up, but I have noticed a clear theme in most of your posts....that you are always right, therefore most others must be wrong.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 11:15 AM, BirdTravels said:

Cancel and file an insurance claim. 

Norwegian told the family from Hawaii that the insurance they purchased from NCL doesn't cover epidemics. The customers acted in good faith.  NCL, not so much!!

Edited by blizzardboy

16 minutes ago, hamrag said:

You've clearly had the most productive of days, having already done the 100 other things......unless that is not true, and if that is the case........

My main issue with your earlier post was the fact you were accusing someone else of making stuff up, but I have noticed a clear theme in most of your posts....that you are always right, therefore most others must be wrong.

Thank you. I'm very critical of how NCL is handling this matter specifically. I feel strongly about this. I disagree with people who feel differently, but I could be wrong.  Also I am very critical of NCL regarding quality of food and onboard pricing and fees. I think they have some of the best entertainment at sea and their last minute pricing can't be beat.  With exception of pool deck, I love the design of the away class ships and Escape. These are my opinions. If someone else loves the food, great, that just means we disagree. 

21 minutes ago, blizzardboy said:

Norwegian told the family from Hawaii that the insurance they purchased from NCL doesn't cover epidemics. The customers acted in good faith.  NCL, not so much!!

First, Norwegian shouldn't have to tell them anything...the guest can read the policy and see what it does, and does not, cover. That it does not cover epidemics will be in there in black & white for all to see...nobody has to be told. I'm surprised that they haven't read the policy on their own (if they had, they wouldn't need to be told what is, and is not, covered).

Second, how exactly did NCL not act in good faith? Did they violate the contract with the guest? Did they fail to uphold their end of the agreement? Did the customer have insurance that covered a specific occurrence and they weren't paid for that? If you don't have insurance that covers epidemics, then you can't ask for payment because of an epidemic. Not paying someone who is not insured for an event is not "bad faith".

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, blizzardboy said:

That isn't entirely accurate. If they purchased NCL insurance they can still cancel and get a future cruise credit of between 75% and 90% of their cruise fare for a non-covered reason (like epidemics).

If you have cancel for any reason, is it not a case of giving a (non excluded) reason of your choice? There may be an epidemic doing the rounds but if I'm cancelling because.... I don't know..... my cat is looking depressed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, Capeviewer said:

We are booked on the Feb 6 Jade cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong but with the spread of the coronavirus, the Level 4 Travel Alerts, our doctors advice and the cancellation of our flight home to the US from Hong Kong, we feel our health, safety and well being are endangered if we and hundreds of other American passengers now sail on the cruise. 

We have been asking NCL for a cruise credit or future rebooking for next year, but so far they have been totally unresponsive to the situation. Right now, they are still saying we will be penalized the full cost of the cruise if we don't sail, even though we could fall ill, be quarantined, miss ports and or possibly be stranded in China for weeks or months. 

Is anyone else having the same issue or have advice on how to proceed?

We are booked on the same cruise and have asked for a credit also, because we are not going.   We have received the same answer.  We are going to file a claim with our credit card travel insurance, but do not have much hope of a positive outcome.  

According to Bloomberg - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-04/china-will-soon-find-out-if-mass-quarantine-worked-virus-update  The Kai Tak cruise terminal in Hong Kong will be closing.  The airport measures start 2/8, but not sure from the article if the same is the date for the cruise terminal.

I am watching all of this closely as we are scheduled in May to do the 15 night cruise from Tokyo(Yokohama) to Hong Kong.    I read American has pulled out of Hong Kong for flights at least into March.  They are who we are flying back.  I am on chemo which makes me have to be more careful due to compromised immunity.  This is a "living list" trip for me, and I hope they make some changes to the ports so that the cruise can still do at least some of it.  I know that a May trip is not their priority right now as they are having to take care of immediate cruises, but I've been surprised at how little information has been posted by NCL on their website, etc. compared to how they post for events like hurricanes etc. 

8 minutes ago, larryfry50 said:

We are booked on the same cruise and have asked for a credit also, because we are not going.   We have received the same answer.  We are going to file a claim with our credit card travel insurance, but do not have much hope of a positive outcome.  

Sorry you are dealing with this. NCL has had plenty of time to communicate a cancellation or change. Absent a government mandate or port closure and in consideration of the apparent risk to passengers and crew, they intend to operate the sailing from Singapore to Hong Kong on the 6th and the following one from Hong Kong on the 17th. I think your only option at this point is to cancel, get your port fees and prepaid charges back from NCL, and then deal with NCL's executive office. Write a respectful letter outlining your position and requesting what you want, and let them respond. If they don't respond or don't comply with your request, go to BBB or similar agency. Continue to talk about this and draw attention to this terrible behavior.

If it helps one person learn about this situation, you've done no harm. At worst, this has been an unfortunate lesson. Had you chosen any other cruiselines, you would have had a much better chance of getting a more satisfactory resolution, even if you didn't have insurance. But, at least you've greatly increased your chances of staying healthy and that is priceless. I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, larryfry50 said:

Sorry you are dealing with this. NCL has had plenty of time to communicate a cancellation or change. Absent a government mandate or port closure and in consideration of the apparent risk to passengers and crew, they intend to operate the sailing from Singapore to Hong Kong on the 6th and the following one from Hong Kong on the 17th. I think your only option at this point is to cancel, get your port fees and prepaid charges back from NCL, and then deal with NCL's executive office. Write a respectful letter outlining your position and requesting what you want, and let them respond. If they don't respond or don't comply with your request, go to BBB or similar agency. Continue to talk about this and draw attention to this terrible behavior.

If it helps one person learn about this situation, you've done no harm. At worst, this has been an unfortunate lesson. Had you chosen any other cruiselines, you would have had a much better chance of getting a more satisfactory resolution, even if you didn't have insurance. But, at least you've greatly increased your chances of staying healthy and that is priceless. I wish you all the best.

• Thanks 1

Just received the following email from NCL regarding the 2/17 sailing:

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding Norwegian Jade's 10-day sailing from Hong Kong, China on February 17, 2020. 

As you may have learned, the Hong Kong port has closed so we are modifying Norwegian Jade's itinerary as follows: 

Original
Day Destination Arrive Depart  
Mon Hong Kong, China   5:00 pm  
Tue At Sea      
Wed Nha Trang, Viet Nam 7:00 am 5:00 pm  
Thu Phu My (Ho Chi Minh City), Viet Nam 8:30 am 7:00 pm  
Fri At Sea      
Sat Laem Chabang, Thailand 7:00 am Overnight  
Sun Laem Chabang, Thailand   6:00 pm  
Mon Ko Samui, Thailand 8:00 am 4:00 pm  
Tue At Sea      
Wed Singapore, Singapore 7:00 am Overnight  
Thu Singapore, Singapore      
Revised
Day Destination Arrive Depart  
Tue Singapore, Singapore   5:00 am  
Tue At Sea      
Wed Nha Trang, Viet Nam 9:00 am 7:00 pm  
Thu Phu My (Ho Chi Minh City), Viet Nam 8:30 am 7:00 pm  
Fri At Sea      
Sat Laem Chabang, Thailand 7:00 am Overnight  
Sun Laem Chabang, Thailand   6:00 pm  
Mon Ko Samui, Thailand 8:00 am 4:00 pm  
Tue At Sea      
Wed Singapore, Singapore 7:00 am Overnight  
Thu Singapore, Singapore      

As a result of the change, we are offering the following to all booked guests:

10% refund off the current voyage fare. Any refund that may be owed will be returned to the original form of payment. In addition, guests will receive a 25% future cruise credit which can be applied to any future published cruise.

If air was purchased independently, Norwegian Cruise Line will refund all reasonable air change fees. Guests may submit their receipts at www.ncl.com/case-submission.  

Please note, guests from certain nationalities will require a passport and/or a visa to visit certain ports of call. Failure to obtain these documents will result in denial of boarding. For more information on documents required for all ports of call, please look at our website's Required Documents page (https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents). Please note, requirements and policies are always subject to change. Please ensure you have all required documentation printed and available to present at check in on embarkation day. 

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard the beautiful Norwegian Jade for your vacation at sea! 

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services 

Wonder if that 5am departure is a typo? Although will apparently take 2 full days sailing to get to Nah Trang. Hopefully they will board previous day at usual time, rather than start 5 hrs before.. ie midnight! 

Also wondering what they mean by 'reasonable' air change costs...

6 minutes ago, Portybelly said:

Wonder if that 5am departure is a typo? Although will apparently take 2 full days sailing to get to Nah Trang. Hopefully they will board previous day at usual time, rather than start 5 hrs before.. ie midnight! 

Also wondering what they mean by 'reasonable' air change costs...

Wondering the same thing. My flights were completely canceled so I have no change and would have to book new flights which is extremely expensive on such short notice. I’m calling NCL to try and get more clarification about times and what they consider reasonable air changes. 

4 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

Wondering the same thing. My flights were completely canceled so I have no change and would have to book new flights which is extremely expensive on such short notice. I’m calling NCL to try and get more clarification about times and what they consider reasonable air changes. 

I'm just off the phone to them. They have no further info at the moment themselves, apart from what was in the email from Katty Byrd, VP

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blcruising said:

It has been reported that Singapore has the second highest number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Is that comment because you cannot stomach the fact that NCL have (arguably belatedly) responded with a solution, and recompense, that seems (to me at least) to be proportionate and fair?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Is that comment because you cannot stomach the fact that NCL have (arguably belatedly) responded with a solution, and recompense, that seems (to me at least) to be proportionate and fair?

No. I shared what has been reported in the news for whoever on these boards could benefit from it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't have enough personal information to make a judgment at this time. But thanks for the failed "gotcha" attempt. Nice try.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, blcruising said:

No. I shared what has been reported in the news for whoever on these boards could benefit from it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't have enough personal information to make a judgment at this time. But thanks for the failed "gotcha" attempt. Nice try.

Thanks, and I trust your response is truthful.

• Thanks 1

One bad part about this is if you booked independently, it may cost significantly more to change the flight as it's further and nearly last minute.  Also, many airlines do not refund you if you cancel, you only get an airline credit minus the cancel fee to use at a later time however most are part of alliances.

• Like 1

I guess the new itinerary for the Feb 17th cruise means that the one way cruise leaving in 16 hours or so (Feb 6th) Singapore to Hong Kong is not ending in Hong Kong on the 17th anymore.   I wonder of passengers know where their cruise is ending on the 17th? I assume Singapore?