Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

2 hours ago, Capeviewer said:

We are booked on the Feb 6 Jade cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong but with the spread of the coronavirus, the Level 4 Travel Alerts, our doctors advice and the cancellation of our flight home to the US from Hong Kong, we feel our health, safety and well being are endangered if we and hundreds of other American passengers now sail on the cruise. 

We have been asking NCL for a cruise credit or future rebooking for next year, but so far they have been totally unresponsive to the situation. Right now, they are still saying we will be penalized the full cost of the cruise if we don't sail, even though we could fall ill, be quarantined, miss ports and or possibly be stranded in China for weeks or months. 

Is anyone else having the same issue or have advice on how to proceed?

If you can't get a credit from NCL, you may just want to bite the bullet and kiss the money goodbye. Your health is more important. Both sailings (2/6 & 2/17) have a lot of inventory left due to the virus. A Hong Kong based cruise ship now has confirmed cases of coronavirus.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3048784/coronavirus-least-three-cases-among-4000-passengers-china

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

As a service provider you do have the option to refer to your terms and conditions which your customer has agreed to or you can try to be flexible and make the customer happy. NCL obviously decided to use the first option.

This might save them a lot of dollars right now but it will cost them a lot of potentiol future customers.

5 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

As a service provider you do have the option to refer to your terms and conditions which your customer has agreed to or you can try to be flexible and make the customer happy. NCL obviously decided to use the first option.

This might save them a lot of dollars right now but it will cost them a lot of potentiol future customers.

Lol this exact statement gets posted on all of the CC cruise line boards when they stick to their contact for a variety of reasons like hurricanes, canceled ports, and illness, as far as I can tell it really doesn’t hurt them.

2 hours ago, Capeviewer said:

Insurance does not cover travel alerts or epidemics

Cancel for any reason means ANY reason, including travel alerts and epidemics.

Are you saying you did NOT purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance, but now you want a refund from NCL?

I get that people don't think "anything will happen" so they don't buy proper insurance coverage, but YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN, so it is on you to be prepared and protect your investment.

I am sorry if you did not pay the relatively small amount more it would have cost you to cover your bases, but that is NOT NCL's fault.  And they are not meanies for not changing their policy for you.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

I get that people don't think "anything will happen" so they don't buy proper insurance coverage, but YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN, so it is on you to be prepared and protect your investment.

I am sorry if you did not pay the relatively small amount more it would have cost you to cover your bases, but that is NOT NCL's fault.  And they are not meanies for not changing their policy for you.

And this situation right here is an amazing example of YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Looking at this tread it’s easy identifying contributors who have never been involved in marketing and customer service.

It shows those who run a business and have had fiduciary responsibilities for ensuring that their shareholder and employee and customer interests are represented. Every week there are dozens of posts across CC with “good reasons” for the cruise line to give their money back (including the dog ate my kid’s homework and I can’t sail because I need to help him). 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Looking at this tread it’s easy identifying contributors who have never been involved in marketing and customer service.

So true. So many live in a rigid and inflexible black and white world even in this unique situation. Must be a lonely, sad place.

Edited by blcruising
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IrieBajan54 said:

If you can't get a credit from NCL, you may just want to bite the bullet and kiss the money goodbye. Your health is more important. Both sailings (2/6 & 2/17) have a lot of inventory left due to the virus. A Hong Kong based cruise ship now has confirmed cases of coronavirus.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3048784/coronavirus-least-three-cases-among-4000-passengers-china

Thanks for sharing. Looks like Diamond Princess now quarantined over in Japan according to Reuters after passenger picked up Coronavirus in Hong Kong, flew to Japan, and sailed without symptoms. Symptoms presented themselves 10 days after embarkation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-japan-ship-idUSKBN1ZX1GI

Edited by blcruising

Hi everyone,

I started a topic on this very issue a few days ago.  Same cruise, with NCL.  Have been following very closely ( a bit too obsessively I may add). Has caused so much stress, however, hubby and I decided we will be going after a few days of "No way" , followed by many what if?  scenarios.

Like a lot of people who scrimp and save for these holidays, we would be losing a lot of money if we don't take it.  Can kick ourselves that we didn't pay for the extra "cancel for any reason"  ( that'll teach us, big lesson learned ). Our TA and Norwegian won't offer a credit ( we didn't ask for a refund), which given the current circumstances this is where they could've shown customer care & understanding  .  The virus is beyond our control also, not just theirs.

Reading the boards,  am feeling for people who are in  tranit  heading for their cruises and receive last minute correspondence  from other cruise lines as their itineraries have been changed. 

Good Luck to everyone, lots of hospital grade sanitizer and cocktails.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Capeviewer said:

We have been asking NCL for a cruise credit or future rebooking for next year, but so far they have been totally unresponsive to the situation. Right now, they are still saying we will be penalized the full cost of the cruise if we don't sail, even though we could fall ill, be quarantined, miss ports and or possibly be stranded in China for weeks or months. 

Your post is contradictory. Firstly you wrote NCL are being totally unresponsive, and then go on to write they are saying you will be penalised the full cost.....it might not be the one you wanted, but that is their response!! 😉

• Like 1

Good Afternoon  --

This is the e-mail we received from Celebrity yesterday.

I believe it covers all RCI companies.

I would anticipate other Cruise Lines may soon follow...

Image did not load.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some important information regarding your upcoming travel plans.

As you may be aware, China is currently experiencing an outbreak of coronavirus. Due to the potential spread of coronavirus, the World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern – this allows governments to proactively dedicate resources intended to ensure the safety of citizens and travelers around the world.

After further consultation with public health authorities and medical experts, we have decided that any guest, or crewmember, who has traveled to, from, or through China or Hong Kong within 15 days of departure will be unable to board our ships – this includes guests who had connecting flights in China or Hong Kong.

As a result, it is imperative that you check your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in China or Hong Kong. Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

We have elected to take this precautionary step due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal:

• Guests or crewmembers who have been in contact with individuals who have traveled to, from, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.
  • Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last.
  • Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms.

We’ve also taken numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards onboard our ships:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing.
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day.
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing.
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests and crew. 
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China or Hong Kong, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us  for a complete list of global contact information.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

4 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Good Afternoon  --

This is the e-mail we received from Celebrity yesterday.

I believe it covers all RCI companies.

I would anticipate other Cruise Lines may soon follow...

Image did not load.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some important information regarding your upcoming travel plans.

As you may be aware, China is currently experiencing an outbreak of coronavirus. Due to the potential spread of coronavirus, the World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern – this allows governments to proactively dedicate resources intended to ensure the safety of citizens and travelers around the world.

After further consultation with public health authorities and medical experts, we have decided that any guest, or crewmember, who has traveled to, from, or through China or Hong Kong within 15 days of departure will be unable to board our ships – this includes guests who had connecting flights in China or Hong Kong.

As a result, it is imperative that you check your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in China or Hong Kong. Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

We have elected to take this precautionary step due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal:

• Guests or crewmembers who have been in contact with individuals who have traveled to, from, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.
  • Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last.
  • Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms.

We’ve also taken numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards onboard our ships:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing.
  • Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day.
  • Adding extra medical staff on each sailing.
  • Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests and crew. 
  • Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.
  • Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China or Hong Kong, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us  for a complete list of global contact information.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity and others have barred passengers who have visited Hong Kong , yet  NCL are still leaving from there, for the time being anyway.

13 minutes ago, Bevi65 said:

Celebrity and others have barred passengers who have visited Hong Kong , yet  NCL are still leaving from there, for the time being anyway.

Yes, worse yet, NCL is also allowing passengers that have connecting flights through airports in mainland China to board their vessels. I don't know if that is even possible because most of the airlines have diverted flights away from China for safety reasons and in an abundance of caution. But not, NCL, as long as you don't have a fever on embarkation day, you are good to go. Maybe they think the virus can avoid the airport, who knows.

Someone with the cc name "Norwegian Cruise Lines" posted a general communication on these message boards last week and then disappeared. NCL also is reported to have emailed their guests that were sailing on the Jade, February 17 departure. I am posting a portion of the latter communication below. One key addition in the below email was conveniently omitted from public communication posted on these message boards....namely the portion bolded and underlined below. You can see the full communication on the Jade roll call of Feb 17, but I imagine you've already seen it or have even received it via your email. Safe travels, and stay safe!!

"Dear Valued Guest,
Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we will be denying boarding to any guest who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days. These guests will receive a refund for their cruise provided they provide proof of travel in the form of airline tickets or similar. Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan. If an embarking guest transited through an airport in mainland China, but did not leave the airport, they will be allowed to board. They will need to show proof of their airline ticket showing they had a connecting flight and the flight times.

Edited by blcruising

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

A cancel for any reason policy (which is the only insurance I buy) allows you to cancel for any reason. Like a virus. Or civil unrest. Or Hurricane. Or Typhoon. Or a hangover. 

Agree.  However, some have indicated (in other threads) that their CFAR insurance does not cover epidemics.  Which, in my opinion is not true CFAR insurance.  Perhaps they fall into this category.  Either way, the fine print is key.  Just one more thing I will add to the list of look fors when I purchase travel insurance.

• Like 2

I have seen how some flights to the USA have been cancelled. I put myself in the OP's position.  It sounds like a cruise of a lifetime so I would not let this panic ruin my vacation. If any mishaps happen on the way back, your travel insurance should kick in for flights, etc.

Please keep us posted.  I wish the best with whatever decision you make.  Yes you could have regrets either way but sitting on my sofa while missing my cruise would be my biggest regret.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Von & John said:

Guests or crewmembers who have been in contact with individuals who have traveled to, from, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.

So I guess they (Celebrity) have a different take on travelling through / near Hong Kong...despite the fact it is not part of mainland China.  A point repeatedly raised but increasingly irrelevant.  

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It shows those who run a business and have had fiduciary responsibilities for ensuring that their shareholder and employee and customer interests are represented.

I don't disagree with the above at all.  But I think some of us feel there is an imbalance towards shareholder interests vs. customer interests that may end up biting NCL in the end.  No brand is immune to collapse, and any good brand is a leader in a  situation like this, not a follower.  It is both deadly and dangerous.   And I'm just speaking about China and Hong Kong. 

Again, I'm a newbie, but I'm also a person with a brain so we are all entitled to opinions in these situations.  

I just don't understand the appetite to acquiesce to NCL's position vs. challenging them on it.  

But follow the follower...meh.

Edited by GettotheSun
  • Like 1

We are sailing on the 02/17 Jade cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore.

Its been booked for months its to celebrate my 60th birthday

We have independent flights and plans either side the cruise

While the ship sails and the planes fly we are going.

We are both fit and healthy

We do everything we can to avoid Norovirus and flu this no different we have masks and hand gel and antibacterial wipes.

We are concerned about disruption and last minute changes but I also think that the situation is so serious for some that if passengers don't want to risk it they should be able to cancel.

• Like 2

Along this topic, I was on a cruise when Mexico was closed and no one was docking or flying into Mexico.  Not an NCL cruise, but the cruise line still sailed, we had 2 extra days at sea and just did very large circles in the ocean.  It was a major bummer, but it is what it is. 

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

Yes, worse yet, NCL is also allowing passengers that have connecting flights through airports in mainland China to board their vessels. I don't know if that is even possible because most of the airlines have diverted flights away from China for safety reasons and in an abundance of caution. But not, NCL, as long as you don't have a fever on embarkation day, you are good to go. Maybe they think the virus can avoid the airport, who knows.

Someone with the cc name "Norwegian Cruise Lines" posted a general communication on these message boards last week and then disappeared. NCL also is reported to have emailed their guests that were sailing on the Jade, February 17 departure. I am posting a portion of the latter communication below. One key addition in the below email was conveniently omitted from public communication posted on these message boards....namely the portion bolded and underlined below. You can see the full communication on the Jade roll call of Feb 17, but I imagine you've already seen it or have even received it via your email. Safe travels, and stay safe!!

"Dear Valued Guest,
Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we will be denying boarding to any guest who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days. These guests will receive a refund for their cruise provided they provide proof of travel in the form of airline tickets or similar. Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan. If an embarking guest transited through an airport in mainland China, but did not leave the airport, they will be allowed to board. They will need to show proof of their airline ticket showing they had a connecting flight and the flight times.

Thank You.. yes, We received the email a few days ago. Going by newly placed restrictions by other lines, we're puzzled by NCL and how Hong Kong is still a viable option .  Of course,  this may change - hoping however  the change isn't when we're well on our way .. 

1 hour ago, Bevi65 said:

Thank You.. yes, We received the email a few days ago. Going by newly placed restrictions by other lines, we're puzzled by NCL and how Hong Kong is still a viable option .  Of course,  this may change - hoping however  the change isn't when we're well on our way .. 

Apparently that just happened to a couple who was denied boarding on the Jade, January 30 cruise as posted on their roll call.  The couple lives in Beijing, China.  It's understandable that passengers from mainland China would be denied boarding.  But the problem was that NCL waited until the day before the cruise to change their policy.  Originally the NCL policy was to deny boarding only to passengers from Wuhan.  But then they sent another letter to all passengers on January 29 saying that anybody from mainland China will be denied.  The couple never saw the letter until it was passed to them as they were waiting in line to board. 

Apparently NCL will refund their full cruise fare, but they are on the hook for their airline tickets other travel expenses, and the aggravation of making the trip for nothing.  If they have insurance, I don't think they have a claim since they took the flights.   

But what is next?  If they are going to make a decision regarding the Feb 6 or Feb 17 Jade cruises, it's better that we know sooner than later.  

Edited by Lou33

7 hours ago, Bevi65 said:

Like a lot of people who scrimp and save for these holidays, we would be losing a lot of money if we don't take it.

That's the wrong way to think about it. You have already paid the money. It's gone. Not going on the cruise isn't going to cost you any more money. In fact, staying home will save on things like the DSC and incidental expenses, and you'll receive a refund of the port fees.

If you're truly concerned about getting sick on the cruise then having spent the money probably shouldn't stop you from cancelling.

Edited by fshagan
  • Like 1

Actions speak louder than words and NCL’s silence is deafening.  Yes, they have a solid contract with lots of clauses and contingencies all designed to protect them In keeping our money.  But so do Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Celebrity yet they, along with major hotels, casinos, airlines, etc., have all taken a proactive approach to protect their customers, employees, and non-customers living in the hot zones.  There is no doubt they will all take a major hit to their bottom line but they should be insured against events like this, as I would imagine NCL is similarly insured.  Placing blame on customers and pointing to travel insurance is avoiding their responsibility to do what is right.  There is no excuse for NCL’s silence and lack of action other than naked greed and their actions, or rather lack of actions, is speaking to me loudly and it is saying the health and safety of its guests and employees is not NCL’s first priority and, as a result, my actions will be to sail with one of these others companies (Royal, Celebrity, Carnival) whose actions are more compelling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1