Sushi & Wine ??'s

denys222

Feb.22nd on Equinox... my wife and myself are both sushi enthusiasts, but when we make sushi's at home it's usually  created utilizing cooked or smoked fish. We don't like the idea of raw fish. Would these California rolls, as we called them in this part of the world, with cooked fish be available at the sushi @ 5 .. Also, we are into making our own wine, and we prefer it to most bought wines.(lower sulfites is main reason). Will it be possible to bring  2 bottles of "made at home wine" ?   Thanks 

Yes - they have a combination of Sushi, Sashimi, Ramen Hamburgers and many other items.

Take a look at the link below for sample menu and pictures

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/sushi-on-five

Sample Menu

Starters

Edamame - Steamed, Himalayan salt

Spicy Ahi Tuna* - Crispy rice, wasabi aioli, jalapeño

Hokkaido Scallop & Salmon Tartare* - Black tobiko and ginger apple dressing

Truffled Albacore Tuna* - Crispy onion, white truffle oil, house ponzu

Chicken Ginger Gyoza - Pan seared dumpling, sesame, yuzu, scallion

Kobe Beef Ramen Sliders* - Shaved radish, mizuna, fried onion, tobico, ginger aioli

Hamachi Carpaccio* - Yellowtail sashimi, ponzu, yuzu kosho, balsamic glaze, crispy leeks

Beef Tenderloin Tataki* Fuji apple, salmon roe, pickled shallots, beetroot, ponzu glaze

Sashimi Mixed Green Salad* - Tuna, yellowtail & salmon sashimi, spring mix, crispy shallots, katsuo dashi dressing

Silken Tofu Salad - Chopped mizuna and tomato, shredded turnip, sweet & sour shiso leaf dressing

Hot Pots & Noodles

Udon Noodles & Seared Shrimp - Seared shrimp, katsuo soy broth

BBQ Pork Ramen Bowl - Slow cooked pork belly, soft boiled egg, pickled hon shimeji mushrooms, scallions

Lobster Ramen - Miso butter lobster tail, green onions, dashi "bisque"

Scallop & Shrimp Dynamite - Baked hot pot, tobiko, spicy honey

Sushi

ROLLS - Tekkamaki Classic tuna roll

Alaskan California*- Snow crab, avocado, cucumber, roasted sesame seed

Green Roof Tuna* - Spicy tuna, cucumber, avocado, black sesame

Spicy Tuna* - Inside out spicy tuna, cucumber, green onion, wasabi furikake

Seared Scallop* - California roll topped with seared scallops

Shrimp Tempura* - Crispy shrimp, avocado, cucumber, pickled burdock, tempura flakes, spicy mayo, sweet soy

Rainbow* - Grilled pumpkin, pickled shiitake, assorted sashimi, avocado

Eel Dragon* - Shrimp tempura roll topped with freshwater eel; unagi sushi sauce

Vegetable Yamagobo - Asparagus, pickled burdock root, avocado, cucumber, sesame seed

SASHIMI Assorted Sashimi*, Choice of 4 - Tuna, yellowtail, salmon, albacore, shrimp, octopus, tataki

Omakase Sashimi*, Choice Of 5 - Chefs selection of assorted sashimi

NIGIRI two piece

Tuna* (Maguro)

Tataki Tuna* (Tataki Maguro)

Yellowtail* (Hamachi)

Albacore* (Shiro Maguro)

Salmon* (Sake)

Akashi Octopus*(Tako)

Halibut* (Hirame)

Bonito* (Katsuo)

Eel* (Unagi)

Shrimp* (Ebi)

Omakase Sushi* - Four pieces, Chefs top selection of assorted sushi

Desserts

Mochi Ice Cream - Desserts Green tea, strawberry, mango

Matchamisu - Japanese matcha green tea tiramisu

Caramelized Ginger Bread - Wasabi gelato, sesame rice milk, passion fruit

Sorbet - Yuzu

Cocktails

Nagasaki Batida - Novo Fogo aged cachaça, lime, raspberry, guava, rooibos tea syrup, tiki bitters

Koku Highball - Bulleit rye, yamazaki, fresh lime juice, ginger syrup, soda

Shiso Sour - Bulleit bourbon, bulleit rye, villa marie sauvignon blanc, ginger, fresh mango & lime, bitters

Spicy Mango Tini - Grey Goose, giffard abricot, rooibos syrup, fresh lime

Smashy Japanese - Jalapeno infused Grey Goose, fresh lemon & cucumber juice, agave syrup, basil

The Improved Japanese Cocktail - Bulleit bourbon, Remy Martin vsop, orgeat syrup, angostura aromatic, mole bitters

Wine By the Glass

Domaine Chandon Brut

Selbach, Riesling

Dry Creek Vineyards, Chenin Blanc

Louis Jadot, Steel Chardonnay, Burgundy

Pinot Noir, Castle Rock, St. Helena

Beer By The Bottle

Echigo Red Ale 11oz

Echigo Stout 11oz

Orion Lager 11oz

Tamano Megumi Pale Ale

Oze No Yukidoke IPA 11oz

Echigo Koshihikari Rice Beer 17oz

Sake & Tea

PREMIUM - Dewatsuru Kimoto Junmai 720ml - Traditionally brewed, smooth, rich, & earthy

Takatenjin Tokubetsu Honjozo 720ml - Melon, pear & banana aromas with great depth & complexity

Hideyoshi Namacho Honjozo 300ml - Youthful & vibrant with hints of toasted nuts & lychee

Ichishima Junmai 300ml - Elegant, slight minerality with tones of apple

Super Premium

JUNMAI GINJO / GINJO Momokawa Organic Junmai Ginjo 750ml - Robust flavor that offers better balance

Kanbara Junmai Ginjo 720ml - Flavors of nuts & ripe honeydew with crisp finish

Manabito Kimoto Junmai Ginjo 300ml - Earthy, robust, & rich with mellow texture, acidity & depth

Ultra Premium

JUNMAI DAIGINJO/ DAIGINJO Dassai 50 Junmai Daiginjo 720ml - Creamy, Semi-dry, Bright, & lively, hints of grapes & berries

TYKU White Junmai Daiginjo 300ml - Refined & smooth, uniting floral banana & vanilla notes

Ginga Shizuku Junmai Daiginjo 300ml - Melons, herbs, vanilla essence & concentrated mineral flavors

Kikusui Sakamai Junmai Daiginjo 720ml - Rich aroma with gentle crisp dryness, pinnacle of brewer’s

Chokaisan Junmai Daiginjo 720ml - Rich aroma with gentle crisp dryness, pinnacle of brewer’s art

Specialty

Snow Maiden Junmai Nigori 720ml - Bright fresh aromas that open to a rice and fruit combo

Blossom of Peace Plum Sake 720ml - Smooth semi-sweet plum sake with almond & marzipan aromas

Dewatsuru Sakura Emaki Rose 360ml - Silky Cherry and plum blossoms aroma & a hint of sweetness

PREMIUM TEA - Green Tea

Brown Rice Tea

2 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Not recent, several years ago. Next celebrity cruise is Sept 2020. Perhaps someone currently on board can confirm it hasn’t changed.  

Oh, its changed!
With the addition of sushi on 5, the buffet sushi is no longer.

you can get sushi to go (fee) from sushi on 5.

And as for the wine question, yes you can CARRY ON 2 bottles per stateroom.

To the OP, I would encourage you to try sushi made with fresh raw fish, and even some fresh sashimi, if you’ve never tried it but don’t like the idea of it. Honestly, I don’t think you can beat the clean fresh taste o fish prepared simply like this, with a little wasabi, some shoyu and some gari to clean the palette. Washed down with a nice chilled sake or crisp white wine.

It’s far better than a California roll, but you’ll never know if you don’t at least try.

Enjoy your cruise either way.

11 minutes ago, Bretty said:

To the OP, I would encourage you to try sushi made with fresh raw fish, and even some fresh sashimi, if you’ve never tried it but don’t like the idea of it. Honestly, I don’t think you can beat the clean fresh taste o fish prepared simply like this, with a little wasabi, some shoyu and some gari to clean the palette. Washed down with a nice chilled sake or crisp white wine.

It’s far better than a California roll, but you’ll never know if you don’t at least try.

Enjoy your cruise either way.

Not sure how 'fresh" the sushi on the ship is though.  I've tried it a couple of times and it's been mushy like it was frozen and thawd a few times too many.  I love good sushi/sashimi and have it at least once a week. I am fortunate to have a really nice place close to home that gets fresh fish from all over the world so I'm a bit spoiled. We get to try lots of unusual fish that you don't often see. Bluefin is still my favorite tough but Hirame (halibut) is a close second.  The OP really should try some "real" sushi or sashimi, when fresh it's fantastic (well most if it anyway). Sushi on 5 has some very good appitizers and the lobster ramen is good.  I've tried quite a few of the rolls most are ok but I don't think they are as good as any decent decent sushi bar on land will serve.  But they do have some great cocktails!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TFLG said:

Sushi on 5 has some very good appitizers and the lobster ramen is good.  I've tried quite a few of the rolls most are ok but I don't think they are as good as any decent decent sushi bar on land will serve.  But they do have some great cocktails!

I would agree.

The appetizers and ramen were good, the rolls, frankly, were poor.

Edible but badly rolled and lacking in flavor. 

Unlikely we would eat there again, but there are so few choices on the M ships, so who knows... 

15 hours ago, justcrusn said:

With the addition of sushi on 5, the buffet sushi is no longer.

you can get sushi to go (fee) from sushi on 5.

Do you know if any Cruise Line Buffets, offer Sushi as part of the complementary dinning?

Edited by amatuercruiser