hypothetical upgrade question, free upgrade possible anymore?

psirusmojo

I know cruise lines have the paid upgrade bidding now but hypothetically speaking if the coronavirus scare many cruisers in the top tier suites and the suites are not rented out, do you think it would be possible to just ask for a free upgrade or would they just leave those cabins empty?  I'm looking at all the apex cruises and it looks like nobody in the top suites paid up and decided not to take the rooms now that final payment is up for the first like 4-5 cruises.  I'm scared of getting corona but a free upgrade to an iconic suite would probably calm me 🤣

• Haha 1

As far as simply asking for a free upgrade, I wouldn't expect that to happen. 

When you can upgrade for little additional expense is in this situation:

You've booked, and paid an amount for a particular room.  Lets say $4000.00 for Sky Suite.  Then prices drop as the sailing nears, and a Celebrity Suite (an upgrade) is now $4050.00.  You could pay the difference and upgrade.  One fly in the ointment is that most offers close to sailing include no perks, so you would likely lose any perks you had on the original booking. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I don’t think you would be upgraded for free sadly, very slim chances, also, it may not be as empty as you perceive they would be offering move up scheme to people, etc, to fill any gaps long before giving anything away. You can always rebook as other poster suggested if it is a good deal. 

24 minutes ago, omeinv said:

As far as simply asking for a free upgrade, I wouldn't expect that to happen. 

When you can upgrade for little additional expense is in this situation:

You've booked, and paid an amount for a particular room.  Lets say $4000.00 for Sky Suite.  Then prices drop as the sailing nears, and a Celebrity Suite (an upgrade) is now $4050.00.  You could pay the difference and upgrade.  One fly in the ointment is that most offers close to sailing include no perks, so you would likely lose any perks you had on the original booking. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Can you do this if its after final payment too ??

1 minute ago, jojo1966 said:

Can you do this if its after final payment too ??

Yes, that's when it would be an issue.  If you're before final payment you can take advantage of any lower price or better offer.

Harris

Denver, CO

44 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Yes, that's when it would be an issue.  If you're before final payment you can take advantage of any lower price or better offer.

Harris

Denver, CO

no - we cant though - im in the UK so cant get advantage of lower prices/better offers. been watching the price of our cruise to see if it there was ever an option of a better cabin at not much increase but none so far. so was just wondering if after final payment, once prices do tend to drop - whether i would still be able to pay the difference for a better cabin - thanks

My apologies.  I completely missed that you're in the UK.  Please forgive my "North America-Centrism". 

I am aware you can't take advantage of price drops ahead of final payment as we do here.  I don't know if you'd be able to upgrade in the manner we can here or not. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

Nothing is free, and I don’t think it is reasonable to expect one. I look back at the times we have been upgraded

1.  A transatlantic on The Norway. Checked in at the pier and ask if there were any PAID upgrades available....they said yes and it was $100 each for a suite. We took it in a heartbeat.

2. We were on the Celebrity Zenith in Buenos Aires. I went down to the front desk, was listening to all these people complain about “my wife has claustrophobia and we cannot be in an inside cabin” I looked at the gal and again ask were there any paid upgrades..she smiled..said don’t unpack and come back in an hour. When I went back she said it would be $1000 for the two week cruise in a suite. I gladly paid.

3. On the Summit I did the same thing. They said it would be $4000 and we declined.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, psirusmojo said:

I know cruise lines have the paid upgrade bidding now but hypothetically speaking if the coronavirus scare many cruisers in the top tier suites and the suites are not rented out, do you think it would be possible to just ask for a free upgrade or would they just leave those cabins empty?  I'm looking at all the apex cruises and it looks like nobody in the top suites paid up and decided not to take the rooms now that final payment is up for the first like 4-5 cruises.  I'm scared of getting corona but a free upgrade to an iconic suite would probably calm me 🤣

You’re funny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jojo1966 said:

no - we cant though - im in the UK so cant get advantage of lower prices/better offers. been watching the price of our cruise to see if it there was ever an option of a better cabin at not much increase but none so far. so was just wondering if after final payment, once prices do tend to drop - whether i would still be able to pay the difference for a better cabin - thanks

Did you book with a travel agent?  If there is a big difference between what you paid and the cost if you booked now whilst you definately can’t get the lower rate but your travel agent might have enough clout with Celebrity to get you a better cabin. This has happened to us twice but we always book with a US agency. It’s worth a phone call. Gave up on UK agents way back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Did you book with a travel agent?  If there is a big difference between what you paid and the cost if you booked now whilst you definately can’t get the lower rate but your travel agent might have enough clout with Celebrity to get you a better cabin. This has happened to us twice but we always book with a US agency. It’s worth a phone call. Gave up on UK agents way back. 

Agree --- We have some friends from Australia (same rules as UK) who will be cruising shortly.   They are booked in a CS.    I was looking and saw that the prices of the RS dropped below the CS.    He called his agent and was denied a change of cabin.    He then called the owner of the Agency (who is a friend of his).   She called Celebrity and they granted an exception and he was upgraded at no additional cost.    He is elated to say the least.

The worse they can do if you call is to reject your request.

Our Apex cruise dropped $2200 after final payment in an SI suite for a late April sailing  The difference between a Celebrity Suite was $100.  I called and they upgraded me to the Celebrity suite for the $100 total for the cruise.  No hassle whatsoever.  We also got an extra $100 credit in the Celebrity Suite so it was a wash.  So yes, you can get an upgrade after the final payment, but it won't be free unless the math works out.

Edited by quicklabs

We were fortunate last year sailing on the Connie from Venice to receive a unsolicited upgrade at check in from an OV to a V.  On top of that, our bags were some of the first delivered as they tracked them down to put the new cabin tag on them.  Happy, happy, happy.  Don't expect it to happen again, but it was nice.  

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The Zenith went out of commission about 10 years ago!  Different time, different ship.  

when you book your stateroom, research it.  So much info available on line including videos .   Do not count on upgrades

She left Celebrity in 2007. We have been cruising for many years.

I would believe the days of the Upgrade Fairy are gone.   With a combination of the "Guarantee Cabins" and the Move-Up bids I am sure Celebrity is working hard to maximize profits.

If you think of it.   Why would they give away a free upgrade if they could recognize  $300 - $1,500 additional revenue.

Back to the OP's question.   Yes they often sail with empty cabins even the Penthouse.  Most of the time I would suspect there is a whole pecking order of those in a RS that bid for PH and SS to Celebrity and from Inside to OV.  etc...etc..  so one upgrade may trigger the acceptance of a whole string of upgrade bids.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2