Are you booking new cruises or hesitant?

firefly333

I always have EZ-Wash sheets (cut into quarters, just right for a sink full) and an elastic clothesline. I don't always use them!

But on HAL at least, there is a clothesline over the tub and the all-in-one liquid soap in the dispensers makes a perfectly fine handwash detergent. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 7:34 PM, Ava79 said:

Finally see here a person who understands that a fuss with the coronavirus is too exaggerated and only God knows why and who benefits from it

With the best will in the world you surely can't suggest that Coronavirus has been exaggerated on the Diamond Princess.

Confirmed cases there have spiralled upward day upon day.   41 to 66 to 137 to 218 and now to 355 !

The news today is suggesting that the spread in China might be slowing which is great news if true.

Most of our longer cruises (more than 10 days) have had many people sick with flus and similar illnesses.  Have been affected about 1/2 the time.  Longer cruises especially transatlantics seem to be the highest risks for us so far.  Also visiting a port that is experiencing an outbreak of something contagious like Noro can increase risks.  So we do look at what is going on in the area that we will visit.

We have a cruise booked out of Boston that seems to be getting fully booked.  So there may be certain cruises that seem to hold less risk ( yes, there is always some risk and it does change over time) than others.  Galveston to the Caribbean probably falls in that category at this time.  Any other ideas on what cruises may hold less risk?

On 2/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, firefly333 said:

I'm watching prices, to see if any bargains, due to the virus. So far not, I guess people locked in so no last minute deals

My parents are elderly so my fear is if I got exposed I'd get them sick. 

My cousins friend just came off a cruise with a cold, even that I'd hate to give to my parents and I do all their driving, but we can arrange things so they can do without me. My parents are 101 and 93 so my worry isnt overblown.

So far the only deal is a short rcl cruise in sept, but I hate to lock myself in, rather a 7 day. Sept is my birthday so I like to go then. 

Does the virus make anyone think twice  or just me. I'm obviously older than most here. 

Just now, joehick said:

I'm a senior with respiratory problems and have a cruise booked in Sept. and am rethinking it before I pay for the cruise. 

They are saying even if they keep it from others this spring, it's not going away. SARS wasnt easily transmitted and was one and done. They have said on the news they expect it to come back this fall and next spring until they develop a vaccine for it. Like the flu.

It's not going away. There was also a case they think was transmitted thru duct work in a high rise. The two people lived on different floors and didnt have physical contact.

There were 70 more people on that princess ship they found out this morning had the virus that tested positive... and 14 of them got put on the bus this morning when they evacuated the Americans.

I want to book, I love deals. Some good prices on rcl this fall, better than carnival. I go out of Galveston which is still safe, but who knows.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, KnowTheScore said:

Main news on the radio in the UK this evening

said that we should NOT think that Coronavirus is something that can be contained

and that we are in the early stages of a pandemic.

I rather think that ^ makes a lot of sense!

Last news is 1,800 dead, way more than SARS back in 2002-03

- and counting!

What are they going to do with Diamond Princess??
Sink it for a diving wreck?

I fear that ship will need a mega-dry-dock, to haul out all the carpets

all the air-conditioning ducting,

steam-clean the whole ruddy thing from stem to stern! Fumigate it?

She's 16 years old now (which isn't that old for a ship).........

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

So there may be certain cruises that seem to hold less risk ( yes, there is always some risk and it does change over time) than others.  Galveston to the Caribbean probably falls in that category at this time.  Any other ideas on what cruises may hold less risk?

I'm guessing you're just talking here about the risk of there being Coronavirus on-board a given cruise.

The bigger, more likely risk is that there will be people on the cruise with cold/flu symptoms which may then cause ports to refuse you entry until they can be tested and cleared.   In respect of this risk I think all cruises are equal.   With 1000s of passengers and crew on-board all ships it's a nailed on certainty that there will be people with cold/flu symptoms imho.

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

I fear that ship will need a mega-dry-dock, to haul out all the carpets

all the air-conditioning ducting,

steam-clean the whole ruddy thing from stem to stern! Fumigate it?

She's 16 years old now (which isn't that old for a ship).........

Yep.   It's going to be a very hard sell imho to get anyone in cabins on that ship after this whole episode.

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Yep.  

It's going to be a very hard sell imho

to get anyone in cabins on that ship after this whole episode!

A re-name? and a complete do-over is in order

including removing those two odd Jet Engines mounted way hi up

on the aft superstructure.

She needs to be unrecognizable when she comes back into service

after a year's overhaul -and scalding with hot water!

Bring in a Priest or Bishop as well

and have him throw a little Holy Water around, as well!
Can't hurt.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

I'm guessing you're just talking here about the risk of there being Coronavirus on-board a given cruise.

The bigger, more likely risk is that there will be people on the cruise with cold/flu symptoms which may then cause ports to refuse you entry until they can be tested and cleared.   In respect of this risk I think all cruises are equal.   With 1000s of passengers and crew on-board all ships it's a nailed on certainty that there will be people with cold/flu symptoms imho.

I guess you know the score however it may be that all cruises are not equal regarding cold/flus (or Noro or Corona virus).  Number of passengers do vary.  Age of passengers do vary.  Some cruises have more "active" itineraries.  Some cruises cater to children; longer ones to retirees.  Time of year for the cruise.

So far I am looking mainly at 10 days or less during the summer leaving from the US for this year to lessen the chance of illness after having issues on TA with many passengers suffering from flu and pneumonia.  I do understand the risk is never 0 - anywhere, anytime.  And still want to travel a couple of times a year.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, Kilmarlic said:

I sail in 12 days. ===> Good Luck!

I'm more concerned about the flight in 10 days (Can you say grossness overload?)

But the flight is always my least favorite part of the trip for a variety of reasons.  

The Flight

is where you're going to pick up

whatever it is you're going to pick up on that trip!

AA1385cabin-914.jpg

We have a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise for our 15th wedding anniversary in April. Baring Jesus coming back, , the cruise line canceling or one of us having the full blown flu, we are going, and we will be living our best lives.  We have SO much to celebrate and I can’t wait!  
Not to seem ignorant to the situation, but when it’s my time, it’s my time. Nothing can stop it, so why do I need to worry? I’m not going to live in fear because someone said “the sky is falling!”

My heart truly breaks for the people & countries that are dealing with this virus right now, and for those that have lost their lives. I can’t imagine my elderly parents contracting it. They don’t travel at all and live in a very small town.. so I am more concerned with the flu for them right now. I will agree that if you watch the news constantly, it’s scary... but a lot of things are in this life.  My husband and I are healthy, have no underlying medical

issues and we will be cruising, and going about our daily lives. My husband travels for work quite a bit. He has no choice. You need to use common sense, but you can’t let fear rule the day!  

Edited by SeaPink0409
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, SeaPink0409 said:

Not to seem ignorant to the situation, but when it’s my time, it’s my time. Nothing can stop it, so why do I need to worry?

You likely don't need to worry in terms of catching and dealing with the virus yourselves given your good health and age.

The larger worry would be that someone else on the ship gets the virus and that your wonderful anniversary turns into a Diamond Princess nightmare.  It's just unthinkable for me personally. 

The other worry is that you might find that some ports on your itinerary are missed due to COVID-19 protocols.

If you're ok with that then go for it and have a great one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 3:14 PM, SeaPink0409 said:

We have a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise for our 15th wedding anniversary in April. Baring Jesus coming back, , the cruise line canceling or one of us having the full blown flu, we are going, and we will be living our best lives.  We have SO much to celebrate and I can’t wait!  
Not to seem ignorant to the situation, but when it’s my time, it’s my time. Nothing can stop it, so why do I need to worry? I’m not going to live in fear because someone said “the sky is falling!”

My heart truly breaks for the people & countries that are dealing with this virus right now, and for those that have lost their lives. I can’t imagine my elderly parents contracting it. They don’t travel at all and live in a very small town.. so I am more concerned with the flu for them right now. I will agree that if you watch the news constantly, it’s scary... but a lot of things are in this life.  My husband and I are healthy, have no underlying medical

issues and we will be cruising, and going about our daily lives. My husband travels for work quite a bit. He has no choice. You need to use common sense, but you can’t let fear rule the day!  

I respect your reasoning for going on the trip. I'm sure you will be fine. But, using the "Sky if falling" term is not going to make you many friends. This is a real world health issue, so maybe little respect for those who are more concerned is a sound approach.

B

51 minutes ago, Beachdude said:

I respect your reasoning for going on the trip. I'm sure you will be fine. But, using the "Sky if falling" term is not going to make you many friends. This is a real world health issue, so maybe little respect for those who are more concerned is a sound approach.

B

umm.?? Ok. WOW, thanks for telling me that I’m lacking respect,, especially since you don’t even know my heart. You should probably go and read my post again🙄.. Also, It seems as though I’m not the only one with the same opinion. It doesn’t mean that I don’t understand what’s going on..., regardless, all I am saying is that with all of the information that I am hearing, the normal Flu is more dangerous and killing more people than the Coronavirus. Coronavirus’s have been around for a long time. This isn’t the first one. Maybe you should do some research of your own before assuming things about others. I do think SOME ppl are panicking over it, that’s all I’m saying. So, actually yes, it would seem that saying “the sky is falling” is accurate for those ppl that are MAJORLY over reacting... and acting like the world is ending. I think it’s very serious, but I’m not panicking! All I’m saying is that some people are. 
I have lots of friends. Thanks for your concern tho 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

I''ve just returned from a two week cruise and have no plans to travel until this coronovirus has run its course. Of course, I don't have any cruise booked in the next few months. 

I feel for  those who saved for a cruise in the next few months and will lose thousands if they decide they don't want to risk it.  They shouldn't be classified as Chicken Little types, esp if one of them has a medical history of some sort. 

Some people are really confident with their advice for others and shouldn't be so critical when others are very concerned. I am more concerned now after observing some of my fellow cruisers' poor hygiene habits. Glad to be home!

On 2/24/2020 at 11:59 AM, SeaPink0409 said:

umm.?? Ok. WOW, thanks for telling me that I’m lacking respect,, especially since you don’t even know my heart. You should probably go and read my post again🙄.. Also, It seems as though I’m not the only one with the same opinion. It doesn’t mean that I don’t understand what’s going on..., regardless, all I am saying is that with all of the information that I am hearing, the normal Flu is more dangerous and killing more people than the Coronavirus. Coronavirus’s have been around for a long time. This isn’t the first one. Maybe you should do some research of your own before assuming things about others. I do think SOME ppl are panicking over it, that’s all I’m saying. So, actually yes, it would seem that saying “the sky is falling” is accurate for those ppl that are MAJORLY over reacting... and acting like the world is ending. I think it’s very serious, but I’m not panicking! All I’m saying is that some people are. 
I have lots of friends. Thanks for your concern tho 🤷🏼‍♀️

In 2018, to put into perspective, over 600,000 people died of the flu worldwide. 

• Like 1