R Cabin Questions

azdrydock

Booked on an Oceania R for the first time so some questions

We are in cabin 7060 and deck plans show a blank space across the hall, any one know if it is noise source? Reviews for the cabin are good (Azamara version).

Any size difference between a regular couch and sofa bed ? We were on the Marina recently and measured the inside width of the couch to be 48 inches which was cozy but comfortable for 2. On the Azamara  2 average adults could not fit on the couch, and other then the bed, the only other seating was a foot stool that doubled as a desk chair.

Saw some comments that after the remodel they could no longer fit a suitcase under the bed. On the Marina we had to lift the bed slightly to slide our suitcase under the lip (not a problem). If the suitcase doesn't fit can it be stored outside the cabin?

Is there a night light in the bathroom?

Marina Terrace was overcrowded most of the time particularly when the weather was bad. We were assured that the R passenger to table  ratio was better. Sales talk or true?

The cabin steward will store your suitcases outside of the cabin when necessary.

I suppose that it COULD be true that the passenger to table ratio is better on the "R" ships but it always seemed to me that there is much more space in Terrace on the "O" ships.  Of course the "O" ships are larger as is the Terrace on those ships ... it does seem to me that it was always more difficult for us to find a table on the "R" ships than on the "O" ships, but that could be we were just luckier than you were.  In bad weather obviously more people are having to sit inside than when the sun is shining.

It's a while since we've been on an "R" ship so I'll leave the other answers to others.

1 hour ago, azdrydock said:

Saw some comments that after the remodel they could no longer fit a suitcase under the bed. On the Marina we had to lift the bed slightly to slide our suitcase under the lip (not a problem). If the suitcase doesn't fit can it be stored outside the cabin?

Is there a night light in the bathroom?

On Sirena, we could fit our large, soft side luggage under the bed if we unzipped and flipped the lid open.  You did need to lift the frame, but as you said, it is not a problem. 

There was a blue night light above the sink, built into the cabinet above. 

It is a common complaint on many cruises.  Beds are often very low.  Just had that problem on Windstar Star Legend.  We were able to store our bags in the closet.  On R ships, the cabins are small.  If you cannot find a good place to stow your bags, ask your cabin steward to store them for you. 

I know that we have stored our luggage under the bed on every cruise.  I cannot remember if we unzipped them and flipped them open to do that on Regatta, and we might have had to lift the frame just to get it past the frame itself, but I know we put them under there.

We tended to eat breakfast in the Terrace dining room inside or outside on the actual terrace every day, except once or twice when we wanted the small lamb chops for breakfast and went to the MDR.  Most days we were able to sit outside.

Someone has answered the night light question and we have not been aboard since the latest refurbish.

2 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Thanks

Luggage and night light off my think about list...  

Any comments about cabin 7060? Still a few other A1's available and am wondering if it is worth the effort of switching?

Some people are mad for those very mid ship cabins,

Color me lazy, but I'd prefer something closer to the Elevators.  🤓

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 3:07 PM, StanandJim said:

Some people are mad for those very mid ship cabins,

Color me lazy, but I'd prefer something closer to the Elevators.  🤓

Didn't know the R's had elevators🙂..... We use the stairs to justify deserts.

59 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

if you have sailed on Azamara   then you have a basic  idea of the ship & cabin size

A few times on the Azamara, always in 6050 close to the stairs, probably only used the elevator once at first embark. The smallest verandah cabin we ever had. No need to comment on the bathroom size. Last AZ voyage, a comedian spent 10 minutes discussing the bathroom. His next show was cancelled and he was off the ship at the first port.

Despite the cabin size we decided to give the Oceania R a chance. Most of my questions relate to the cabin and location. We liked  the size and layout of the ship and since we have been on the Riviera and Marina we pretty much know what to expect in the public areas

Edited by azdrydock

Maybe not.  I'm not one who is unhappy with the "R" ships but if you've been on the "O": ships you could be surprised!  Then again, you've been on AZ so you have an idea of cabin sizes.  I pity the comedian who got tossed off after discussing the bathroom!  I wouldn't have done that... I'd have laughed along with him/her.

What cabin category are you looking at for the "R" cruise?  PH is much more comfortable if that's what you are looking for.  Our first cruise on Renaissance (then the R2) was in a Deck 7 veranda.  Next one was in a PH (what Ren called a "B" cabin) and we thought, oh, who knew?  Our last Ren cruise was on the R7 which had eliminated the Deck 8 larger suites so we were back on the standard veranda cabin.

Later on we upgraded ourselves to PH and above --not always!

You know, for US -- we prefer the PH on the "R" ships to the PH on the "O" ships.  But for the most part on "O" ships we've been in an OC or VS.  You do get spoiled ...

You have asked about cabin and location, but not mentioned which level you are looking at, if you want midships, aft or forward ... etc.  That would help us answer your question.  If you were on Deck 6 on the AZ ship then I think you were in a standard veranda ... but I'm not positive about that!

Mura

9 hours ago, Mura said:

You have asked about cabin and location, but not mentioned which level you are looking at, if you want midships, aft or forward ... etc.  That would help us answer your question.  If you were on Deck 6 on the AZ ship then I think you were in a standard veranda ... 

Original question was specific to 7060 that has a sofa and doesn’t have a cabin across the hall vs. other A1’s with a sofa bed and interior cabin opposite.

Other then decor and shower door we don’t anticipate any major difference between O and AZ Veranda cabins The sofa on AZ seemed slightly narrower then sofa onMarina A1 which we measured as 48inches inside. Two average size people can sit on the Marina sofa and watch TV, not the case on tha AZ.

We aren’t butler people so other then a slightly larger cabin and the noise risk from pool deck Waves and Terrace it doesn’t seem like a good value for us. 

5 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Original question was specific to 7060 that has a sofa and doesn’t have a cabin across the hall vs. other A1’s with a sofa bed and interior cabin opposite.

Other then decor and shower door we don’t anticipate any major difference between O and AZ Veranda cabins The sofa on AZ seemed slightly narrower then sofa onMarina A1 which we measured as 48inches inside. Two average size people can sit on the Marina sofa and watch TV, not the case on tha AZ.

We aren’t butler people so other then a slightly larger cabin and the noise risk from pool deck Waves and Terrace it doesn’t seem like a good value for us. 

the  sofa on the R ships  were all the same  not not sure since the refurb if they made the sofa smaller as they seemed to do on AZ 

I always found the 2 of us could sit on the sofa  on the R ship

Not sure what the space is maybe a service cupboard  for staff  we are usually further aft  so  never paid attention

the cabins are not bigger on deck 7  if that is what you mean

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

My bad....

Referring to previous poster suggesting upgrade to PH on deck 8

The blank space across from 7060 appears to be the small passageway that gives access to the interior cabins.  As I recall, their cabin doors are not in the main passageway, but rather in that small passageway that runs athwartships.

The new bathrooms on Sirena I found the shower doors and shower great. But there was no hair dryer so I could not defog the mirror to shave had to leave the door open. Also it was difficult to wash my face without hitting the cabinet mirror. Solution was to open cabinet door, easier to bend over sink.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, Acrusa said:

The new bathrooms on Sirena I found the shower doors and shower great. But there was no hair dryer so I could not defog the mirror to shave had to leave the door open. Also it was difficult to wash my face without hitting the cabinet mirror. Solution was to open cabinet door, easier to bend over sink.

Just off the Sirena. Hairdryer was in the top drawer of the set of drawers in the closet in the two cabins I saw. If you didn't have a dryer, I'm sure the cabin attendant would have supplied one. 

14 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

Just off the Sirena. Hairdryer was in the top drawer of the set of drawers in the closet in the two cabins I saw. If you didn't have a dryer, I'm sure the cabin attendant would have supplied one. 

Miss understood. We had hair dryer in room, but used to be a blow dryer hanging on the bathroom wall.