Medallion and Pacemakers

jdacombe

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this or could offer any advice.

We have just booked a 7 day cruise in July and in my "bull in a china shop" way did not do my homework regarding the medallion.

I have been fitted with a pacemaker and have just realised that the medallion is a magnetic device, will this prevent me from using this or is it okay to use it if it is kept a safe distance away from the pacemaker (I think that the safety range is appx. 6-9 inches). 

Any help/advice would be really welcomed.

Many thanks

5 hours ago, jdacombe said:

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this or could offer any advice.

We have just booked a 7 day cruise in July and in my "bull in a china shop" way did not do my homework regarding the medallion.

I have been fitted with a pacemaker and have just realised that the medallion is a magnetic device, will this prevent me from using this or is it okay to use it if it is kept a safe distance away from the pacemaker (I think that the safety range is appx. 6-9 inches). 

Any help/advice would be really welcomed.

Many thanks

My son has one and we did quite a bit of research before our/his last 3 cruises.

He had no issues and advised security before he proceeded through the metal detectors when boarding each time. The same he would do going trough airport security.

It is correct and he was advised for him to keep it at least 8 plus inches away from the device.

We checked with his doctor and the device manufacture.

Everything worked great.

There is also some literature included (fine print/although limited) with the device.

Every cruise has hundreds of people with implanted devices such as pacemakers etc.

Just use caution.

As stated above please consult your doctor.

• Like 1

You may request a card if you so desire. We did, and had no issues getting them issued at the desk.  We went to a cc meetup  a couple of weeks ago, and were told they are taking the magnet out of future medallions, but not certain when that will be fully implemented. In the meantime, either ask for cards like we did, or keep it 6-8" away from the chest.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your helpful advice, much appreciated.

I'm leaning towards having the medallion and keeping it in one of my trouser pockets, but will check with my electro-cardiologist just to make sure.

I notice that the manufacturer is Medtronic

My father just got a pacemaker this year and we will be sailing with him this summer. Luckily we are on the Star and it doesn't have the Medallion. If it did, I would definitely want him to talk to his cardiologist about it. And I forgot about the metal detectors when getting on the ship so thanks for the reminder! 

I have had my pacemaker since 1995.  .  I do not go thru the metal detectors but that is my choice.  After much research I was told that as long as I went thru "quickly" there was no problem.  The metal detectors at most ports have a small label on them stating that you should not proceed thru if you have a pacemaker. 

I also have been on the Royal Princess twice within the past year and I do not put the medallion around my neck but try to put it in a pocket (which is more difficult for women since our clothing doesn't usually have pockets).  In my case I carry a small "purse" which I keep it in.  It works fine from  an my purse.

My wife and I did a 10 day on the Crown in December and she had a pacemaker implanted about a year ago. She wore her medallion around her neck the whole time, no problems what so ever. She did avoid the metal detectors at the airport and gangway on the ship though.

Just takes a little more time, have fun!

The Medallion’s magnet is very very weak, it has less strength than a common refrigerator magnet.  The magnets used to reset a pacemaker is significantly stronger! 

There are accessories, such as wrist bands and clips that would be perfectly fine to use.

The information booklet that comes with the Medallion has this warning

"CAUTION:  Product contains  magnets which could be harmful to pacemaker users and others with medical implants.  The Ocean Medallion should be kept at least 6" away from pacemakers and other sensitive medical equipment. "

Edited by cruzsnooze

I found it impossible to stay 6'' away in most elevators since they were so crowded, particularly on embarkation and disembarkation days and port days when everyone wants to take an elevator up from deck 4. The cruise card works as fast as the medallion for disembarking at ports what's different is that the card doesn't have an app for anything and you can't be tracked or marketed too.