Shorts in Dining Room on Regal?

Typingmom14

24 minutes ago, Potstech said:

There was no mention of a 16 year old cruising by themselves. Not allowed on most cruise lines, just for some peoples information.

Even while cruising with a parent or guardian he is still old enough to make up his own mind despite what his parent or guardian wears.   

Parenting ends at 15 then?  

Society (in this case a cruise ship) has laws, rules, customs, and norms.   It is a parent’s job and duty by exposing a child (including a 16 which by most definitions is a child) to different experiences and guiding them into what is socially acceptable.   Otherwise, you will eventually have chaos.   Shorts in the MDR is just the foothill of the mountain of life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:04 AM, Potstech said:

And if he is older than 16 he is old enough to make up his own mind on how to dress for dinner.

She's 14. Outside of formal night, I'm not going to war on what she wears. Cover up shoulders to knees and I'm fine. 

Damn I sound old & puritanical. I'm not. I just pick my battles. Be active / no phones at table / look at me respectfully but you can wear shorts on casual nights (FWIW we went to Sabatinis on formal nights to avoid dressing up back when women wore sequins. I don't own that so a nice dress like I'd wear to the symphony & a specialty restaurant)

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tanzer22pilot said:

Parenting ends at 15 then?  

Society (in this case a cruise ship) has laws, rules, customs, and norms.   It is a parent’s job and duty by exposing a child (including a 16 which by most definitions is a child) to different experiences and guiding them into what is socially acceptable.   Otherwise, you will eventually have chaos.   Shorts in the MDR is just the foothill of the mountain of life.

Again where did I say or infer parenting ends?  Some parents allow their children a little independence and let them make their own decision.  Apparently some do not.

So wearing shorts in the MDR on a cruise ship will cause world chaos?

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Again where did I say or infer parenting ends?  Some parents allow their children a little independence and let them make their own decision.  Apparently some do not.

So, where do you draw the line?   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Rules are rules and not following those rules shows no concern for rules. Parents are to teach children how to follow rules not break them when they feel like it. WRONG!

IMHO it is my job to teach the next generation on how to formulate an independent decision.  It's not that we have no regard for rules but in a non-totalitarian society if you don't like the rules, change them. We're permitted to have that. At least here in Sunny California.  However, as previously stated, be active / no phones at table / respectful

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ombud said:

IMHO it is my job to teach the next generation on how to formulate an independent decision.  It's not that we have no regard for rules but in a non-totalitarian society if you don't like the rules, change them. We're permitted to have that. At least here in Sunny California.  However, as previously stated, be active / no phones at table / respectful

An Independent decision is not something a person does to break the law or rules. Period! Respect for laws and rules are to be taught. Not the other way around. However I do agree. Do not like them, try to change them. In the meantime abide by them. 

2 hours ago, tanzer22pilot said:

So, where do you draw the line?   

When breaking a "rule" subjects others to inconvenience or dismay. 

As I view it there's not much that you do to cause it in a dining room, especially not a choice of clothing. If a choice of someone else's clothing is that upsetting to a person, perhaps their sailing on the wrong cruise line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1