Shorts in Dining Room on Regal?

Typingmom14

4 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I'm sure you are not dense. What you say makes a lot of sense.

The issue for me is...if there is a dress code..whatever it may be...why isn't it STRICTLY enforced, across the fleet?

Simply because that Princess is trying to please everyone by not changing the dress code. This way no one is really upset.

The profits are up from additional sales on formal nights & people can choose (within reason) how they want to dress and still eat in the DR.

10 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

My husband was turned away from MDR on a Smart Casual evening when wearing  brand new Polo Ralph Lauren tailored knee length shorts and a RL polo shirt!

As as we had been waiting to get to the to be seated, we saw a man exit the restaurant, after dining, wearing tatty, paint splattered jogging pants that had seen better days, with a nylon football shirt....they were long trousers though, so acceptable !

I'm sorry that you didn't notice in the Patter that "No Shorts in the Dining Room" was clearly stated.

Hope you weren't offended when they turned you away.

9 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

The issue for me is...if there is a dress code..whatever it may be...why isn't it STRICTLY enforced, across the fleet?

It's the best of both worlds. 

Princess can claim they have a dress code which appeals to some.

Princess can avoid enforcing the dress code which appeals to most.

People will find their cruise more enjoyable if they quit obsessing about what other wear.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pilot said:

I'm sorry that you didn't notice in the Patter that "No Shorts in the Dining Room" was clearly stated.

We had read the Patter and signs outside dining rooms. We know what the dress codes say. 
The reason we were offended was that the dress code is not strictly enforced across the fleet. Other ships are perfectly happy for passengers to wear tailored shorts in  MDR on Smart casual nights.

Also upset that someone in dirty, work clothes was allowed in whilst others in good quality, clean, smart short trousers was not!

This goes back to my comment that the dress code needs to be enforced not be dependent on who is supposed to be enforcing it !

1 hour ago, pilot said:

$5.00 second hand or $100.00 shorts. Shorts are shorts. Some look a lot nicer than others but they still are shorts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Point well taken. Way better than what a lot of men ware. But they are still shorts.

They certainly are but as long as Princess will accept them in the DR my DH will continue to wear them. 

Just now, memoak said:

Hairy legs going by my table do not improve my appetite 

How on earth do you see them once seated? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

We had read the Patter and signs outside dining rooms.

Actually they haven't posted the dress code sign outside the DR doors on the last 2 Princess ships we've sailed on in the past few months - it's just in the patter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

We had read the Patter and signs outside dining rooms. We know what the dress codes say. 
The reason we were offended was that the dress code is not strictly enforced across the fleet. Other ships are perfectly happy for passengers to wear tailored shorts in  MDR on Smart casual nights.

Also upset that someone in dirty, work clothes was allowed in whilst others in good quality, clean, smart short trousers was not!

This goes back to my comment that the dress code needs to be enforced not be dependent on who is supposed to be enforcing it !

It should be enforced by the maitre d or whoever is in charge of each dining room. That would make it only one person who "took the blame" and not put any pressure on the wait staff. Make the guy in charge deal with it. If you are the boss then act like the boss and take the heat for enforcing the rules.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It should be enforced by the maitre d or whoever is in charge of each dining room. That would make it only one person who "took the blame" and not put any pressure on the wait staff. Make the guy in charge deal with it. If you are the boss then act like the boss and take the heat for enforcing the rules.

I won't argue with who's responsibility it is but all I know is that things are working very nicely on all the ships we've sailed on for many years. 

Yes, they do have a so called dress code & if people want to fully abide with it, then fine. Otherwise even the modified dress code that people choose also works very well. 

I'm sure all the Maitre D's have fought with many people over this thought the years and have just chosen to ignore all but the most offensive violators.

58 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

We can go around in circles for days, but if the dress code were to be strictly enforced there would be no need for this pointless discussion !

The current state of dress seems to be working well for the majority of passengers so why are we having this pointless discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Hairy legs going by my table do not improve my appetite 

So, what do you think about men wearing kilts?

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

They certainly are but as long as Princess will accept them in the DR my DH will continue to wear them. 

How on earth do you see them once seated? 

Some passengers must spend an inordinate amount of time crawling under tables.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The current state of dress seems to be working well for the majority of passengers so why are we having this pointless discussion.

another "rocketman" walked out of the hospital after that horrendous wreck on Monday … amazing

and yes, the dress 'code' is evolving in various venues, not just on cruise ships

growing up a good ole Southern Baptist , I never thought I'd see the day with  jeans in a church and Christian

rock being performed by a live band

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

So, what do you think about men wearing kilts?

Some passengers must spend an inordinate amount of time crawling under tables.

I wonder how it affects their breakfast & lunch with almost everyone wearing shorts?

I can't say that I go to the DR for breakfast or lunch....besides that it just takes forever.

By the time you're finished all the seats will be gone around the pool. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

another "rocketman" walked out of the hospital after that horrendous wreck on Monday … amazing

and yes, the dress 'code' is evolving in various venues, not just on cruise ships

growing up a good ole Southern Baptist , I never thought I'd see the day with  jeans in a church and Christian

rock being performed by a live band

Well, I too grew up "good ole Southern Baptist".  Even as a young lad (50s and 60s), I had to wear long trousers to church.  Hated it.  

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

That maybe so .

That is why I posted that if there is a dress code it should be strictly enforced across the fleet!!

We can go around in circles for days, but if the dress code were to be strictly enforced there would be no need for this pointless discussion !

And the circle continues as the dress code IS NOT STRICTLY ENFORCED meaning there is no need for this pointless discussion.

As long as Princess continues the current status then nothing will change including long threads on clothes that accomplish nothing.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I wonder how it affects their breakfast & lunch with almost everyone wearing shorts?

I can't say that I go to the DR for breakfast or lunch....besides that it just takes forever.

By the time you're finished all the seats will be gone around the pool. 😉

By the time you wake up all the seats will be gone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Potstech said:

And if he is older than 16 he is old enough to make up his own mind on how to dress for dinner.

Last time someone cruised by themselves at age 16 was probably in the 1800 when some boy ran away to go to sea.   These days they usually cruise with a parent or guardian who wears shorts to the MDR.

2 hours ago, tanzer22pilot said:

Last time someone cruised by themselves at age 16 was probably in the 1800 when some boy ran away to go to sea.   These days they usually cruise with a parent or guardian who wears shorts to the MDR.

There was no mention of a 16 year old cruising by themselves. Not allowed on most cruise lines, just for some peoples information.

Even while cruising with a parent or guardian he is still old enough to make up his own mind despite what his parent or guardian wears.