Dropping luggage at port early

welshfamily

I have just started doing the planning for our summer cruise. Our  Oceania flights are a direct  flight from our home airport to Barcelona. Due to other commitments we can no longer travel before our cruise. It’s a short 2.30 hrs flight and we will arrive at 10.30 am. Short trip from airport to port (20mins at most, we have a private transfer ). Boarding does not commence until 1pm and we are not in a suite so I should image it will be 2.30 pm before Balconies start boarding. 

We are wondering what time we can drop off our luggage at the port? Our TA cannot find anyone at Oceania with an sensible answer. The ‘ ‘the long distance guests will arrive earlier and be transferred directly to the port.’ Does not really help. Surely few people will arrive early in the morning and stand around for hours waiting to board? 

we have never been in this position before as we have always boarded from a hotel and boarding has always started at around 11 am and we have arrived at about 1pm, short queue and straight onboard. 

We would prefer to drop off our luggage, and go out for lunch and a walk.

Also if boarding starts at 1pm what time do more experienced Oceania cruisers  think the Balcony rooms will be available ?

This is our 4th cruise with Oceania but first on a O ship.I assume this accounts for the later boarding times.

i have searched the boards and can only find answers about the port of Miami.

So much misinformation in your post I hesitate to answer.

"Long distant guests" are from this side of the pond, flights arrive really early.

Boarding and cabin availability are different times.

The Barcelona dock is not right on the street.

Just go to the ship after you land and all will be fine.

The short answer is that Porters work in shifts, and the same Porters who unloaded the luggage from the previous voyage may or may not be working your cruise as well, but there will be someone at the dock to accept your luggage whenever you arrive.  

It is not necessary to board the ship with your luggage, it will find its' way to your cabin.

You may be reasonably certain that your cabin will be available by 2pm.

Enjoy Barcelona!!!

Edited by StanandJim

Thank you all. 

We have docked  in Barcelona 3 times in the last 4  years,  once on the Sirena  and it never occurred to me that we would not be at the World Trade Centre pier which is a minutes walk from the Christopher Columbus Stature.

The schedule, as far as I can see, is only up to April and indeed it shows the Sirena at the Barcelona Word trade pier and the Riviera at  Adossat which is the furthest away. I did not expect this as there are at least 3 huge ships ( eg Allure of the Seas , RCI, 8565 passengers)  in on the same day as the Riviera and I would have classed  the Oceania ships as medium,1250 passengers. Indeed my TA said the ship would be in the WTC East Terminal. 

Whilst sailing from New York the check in at 11.30 am was straight forward, quick and the Balcony cabin was ready at 2pm however the twice we have sailed from Europe the check in was slow, after 1pm and last year it was 3.15 pm ( Sirena at Venice ) before any cabins other than the suites were available.  We did not enjoy waiting around and would much rather eat a pleasant lunch in Barcelona and arrive later to board  the ship. We will probably keep our driver and go into Barcelona 

and then taxi back to the port.

Out if curiosity what do people arriving from say,The States, do if they fly in the day of the cruise and have Oceania transfers?

2 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Out if curiosity what do people arriving from say,The States, do if they fly in the day of the cruise and have Oceania transfers?

They check in when they arrive at the pier, and then have lunch at the Terrace, killing time until their cabins are turned around and released.

We are not from the States  but we  usually arrive  a day or more  before sailing day

we store our bags at the hotel & go & have lunch before heading to the port  usually 1:30pm +

No rushing to the Terrace  & fighting for seats  to eat

Enjoy

Embarkment Day at the Buffet. Think a crowded noisy bar/restaurant in a busy airport at lunch. Baggage blocking aisles and/or stacked in seats so others can’t sit down. People walking around with plates of food that have difficulty just walking! At least in that busy airport restaurant the waiters are delivering the food to your table and dodging the road jams! It’s a “ free” meal we gladly avoid! Nice peaceful meal in town with authentic local cuisine made from fresh produce served to our table, that’s for us. Local wines are often involved! 😃 Then arrive at the ship 2:30-3:00 after the clamor for easy boarding. Most cruises provide plenty of opportunities to eat at the Buffet line for those that desire to do so. Best waiting to do so!

I'm not sure the O ships ever dock at WTC. They never have the times I've been there on them. 

As others have said, don't overthink it. Waste a little time at the airport, go slow, go to the port, check in around 11, they generally don't tell you no, no matter what your boarding time is. Your room will be ready between 2:30 and 3. 

+1 on missing lunch on the ship on embarkation day and then waiting for the room to be available. 

As said by someone above, it is usually easy to drop off luggage at or near the ship if you arrive early enough to walk around and/or eat before boarding the ship for good.  Often you can even check in and get your boarding cards at the same time (especially since you will arrive late in the morning.  Then you only need to make sure you are back in time for the lifeboat drill.   A pleasant lunch away from the port (is there not a bus to and from the larger ships to the statue?) in Barcelona sounds better if time allows. 

5 hours ago, tvmovielover said:

+1 on missing lunch on the ship on embarkation day and then waiting for the room to be available. 

As said by someone above, it is usually easy to drop off luggage at or near the ship if you arrive early enough to walk around and/or eat before boarding the ship for good.  Often you can even check in and get your boarding cards at the same time (especially since you will arrive late in the morning.  Then you only need to make sure you are back in time for the lifeboat drill.   A pleasant lunch away from the port (is there not a bus to and from the larger ships to the statue?) in Barcelona sounds better if time allows. 

I believe the bus is 2 or 3 euro. If you want exercise it's walkable, but nothing to do till you leave the port. There is a HOHO bus you can get on at the WTC. 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:17 AM, welshfamily said:

I have just started doing the planning for our summer cruise. Our  Oceania flights are a direct  flight from our home airport to Barcelona. Due to other commitments we can no longer travel before our cruise. It’s a short 2.30 hrs flight and we will arrive at 10.30 am. Short trip from airport to port (20mins at most, we have a private transfer ). Boarding does not commence until 1pm and we are not in a suite so I should image it will be 2.30 pm before Balconies start boarding. 

We are wondering what time we can drop off our luggage at the port? Our TA cannot find anyone at Oceania with an sensible answer. The ‘ ‘the long distance guests will arrive earlier and be transferred directly to the port.’ Does not really help. Surely few people will arrive early in the morning and stand around for hours waiting to board? 

we have never been in this position before as we have always boarded from a hotel and boarding has always started at around 11 am and we have arrived at about 1pm, short queue and straight onboard. 

We would prefer to drop off our luggage, and go out for lunch and a walk.

Also if boarding starts at 1pm what time do more experienced Oceania cruisers  think the Balcony rooms will be available ?

This is our 4th cruise with Oceania but first on a O ship.I assume this accounts for the later boarding times.

i have searched the boards and can only find answers about the port of Miami.

Drop of your suitcases and take the local port bus back into Barcelona. I think it’s €5 return and only takes a few minutes. It drops you off near the bottom of La Ramblas. 

when we boarded insignia in NYC they did stick to the 1pm embarkation unless you were in concierge, suites or in a high tier.