Can I purchase a FCD for another person as a gift?

pcur

My wife was able to buy a future cruise deposit for me on a cruise (one of the 1 night Vancouver to Seattle cruises) that I wasn't a passenger on, although I'm not sure exactly what she had to do in order to set it up.  I assume she would have needed my captain's circle number.

I have purchased them for family members who had already traveled on Princess.  A couple of the grandkids had not so we couldn't get them one.  We did it for a family cruise that we were all going on together.  It was nice that everyone who had a FCD got OBC for them when we got on the cruise so that helped with their onboard expenses.

It would definitely help if you had their Captain's Circle number, but we didn't have the numbers and the Future Cruise Consultant was able to look them up by name, address, etc.  It was totally a surprise to us when he said we could purchase them so we weren't prepared.  The ruling had come down just prior to our discussion with him.  It all worked out nicely.

• Like 1

We were on the Royal in January and bought more future cruise credits for both myself and my husband (we always like several in our little piggy bank) and we asked about purchasing a couple of cruise credits for my son ( I had his Crown and Anchor number) and was told "no".   

Sounds like more Princess inconsistency.  I do know this was not allowed back in the fall 2017 Florida season.  But sometime in early 2018, I gather, they started allowing purchases in name of people (family only???) who were not sailing.  They were meant to be for customers actually on a cruise.

I do recall a thread where this was extensively discussed either about a year ago or late 2018.  Several members posted being able to buy FCD's for others.  Now it seems the answer on Royal for one person was "No".  

I guess all you can do is ask, unless find a written Princess policy allowing it.

13 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Technically, no.

However, there have been posts on CC that some have done it.

The answer used to be b"no," but last year sometime they did change it to allow you to purchase FCDs for someone not on the cruise.

I do not know if there are any restrictions as to being relatives or if you can purchase them for anyone.

5 hours ago, pink845 said:

We were on the Royal in January and bought more future cruise credits for both myself and my husband (we always like several in our little piggy bank) and we asked about purchasing a couple of cruise credits for my son ( I had his Crown and Anchor number) and was told "no".   

Crown & Anchor is for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, not Princess.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Crown & Anchor is for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, not Princess.

I saw that too and wondered if her son had even been on a Princess ship before, what with confusing the loyalty club names.

I can confirm that I purchased future cruise deposits for eight members of my family in Dec. 2017 and applied them to a June 2019 cruise to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.  All eight had been on a Princess cruise prior to the purchase but were not on the Dec. 2017 cruise with us.  This purchase was on the Sun Princess and the Future Cruise consultant told us it had been discussed and approved on a conference call that very week.  For those who have been told NO I can only guess that either something has changed since then, or their consultant just didn't want to go to the trouble.  My advice is to ask - it can't hurt.  

Wow!  My big boo boo.  My son is Elite on Princess as is his wife and my whole family.   Accidentally said I had his Crown and Anchor number on my post.  Obviously meant I had his Elite #.  FYI we are all Diamond Plus on RCL as well.  

Anyhow, good to read from the various replies that it appears that we should have been allowed to buy future cruise credits for my son and his wife as well as my other two sons (all Elite), however, our flaky consultant did not know the new procedures it would appear and was quick to say No.    She was not very helpful with anything else as well. 

8 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Wow!  My big boo boo.  My son is Elite on Princess as is his wife and my whole family.   Accidentally said I had his Crown and Anchor number on my post.  Obviously meant I had his Elite #.  FYI we are all Diamond Plus on RCL as well.  

Anyhow, good to read from the various replies that it appears that we should have been allowed to buy future cruise credits for my son and his wife as well as my other two sons (all Elite), however, our flaky consultant did not know the new procedures it would appear and was quick to say No.    She was not very helpful with anything else as well. 

Ahh, that explains it.  Well, anyway, I'm sorry she wouldn't let you buy any FCCs for your son and his wife, etc.  It's so nice to get that OBC as well as the smaller deposits.

I'm sorry they didnt help you with it. I buy FCC for clients sometimes if they have a cruise line they love. You dont get the onboard credit bonus though so if you are putting a big FCC it's better to give the person a gift card and let them buy the credit themselves