Leonardo class

56 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Thanks Freestyle- I was just about to ask when we expect the first ship☺️   

I'll be interested to see if they are a complete departure from the Away and Away+ ships.   Will we still have the WaterFront?  Observation Lounges?  I can do without more racetracks....

Just an FYI:  From www.amem.at

Annotation 2020-02-20 165722.JPG

Edited by GA Dave

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, and the addition of a ducktail to at least one Disney ship changed it from being able to use the old Panama Canal locks to having to use the new ones, making it the first ship ever to change up.

Wait.. If you can add the fuel saving ducktail feature during refurb, then why didn't ncl do it for the spirit?

And switching from the old Panama locks to the new one costs more port fees,no?

6 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

To steer the discussion about NCL and thus Leonardo class being more premium; it seems NCL did a good job with the Spirit dry dock, even noticed padded loungers on the aft pool deck on the shared photos which were Haven material in the past? A tell tale that the smaller ships (which attract an older demographic) will be indeed more "premium"?

In the long run NCL has to offer more to justify their higher pricing? :classic_smile:

edit, the loungers:

The Spirit was updated to be an adults only ship. Kids clubs, teen clubs, all removed. For 3 years running, the "big dry dock" was cancelled while NCL tried to decide whether to invest in the ship or scrap it. Remember the old Spirit? Versace carpets, Terracotta warriors, samurai armor, New Orleans balcony facades, Roman pool deck, all designed by the wife a Chinese premiere? It was never a "normal" NCL ship. 

She was suppose to be reserved for exotic itineraries for adults,,, which has been thwarted by the COVID-19

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

Wait.. If you can add the fuel saving ducktail feature during refurb, then why didn't ncl do it for the spirit?

And switching from the old Panama locks to the new one costs more port fees,no?

It is a question of cost/benefit.  Sometimes the fuel savings will not offset the cost of installation.  Also, not all hull forms can benefit from a ducktail, it depends on theoretical calculations and model testing as to whether it would have a benefit to vessel motion or would adversely affect motion.

Yes, the new locks cost more than the old ones.

• Like 1

My PCC told me yesterday (who knows how trustworthy/accurate/reliable) that they are hoping to reveal more details about the 1st Leo ship in mid to late April. Smartly so, they want to maximize their press/PR so they are letting Virgin and others have the spot light now.

Cruise industry will be looking at virgin closely and will be interesting to see if and when the rest of the industry will incorporate anything Virgin does differently.  Virgin certainly does food differently in a lot of different ways.  No buffets, no MDR, no specialty up charges, you have roughly 20 eateries, 8 of which are part of a food hall and the others are mostly restaurants; everything is made to order.  Will be interested to see if this concept works yet I would not be surprised if Virgin one day does charge an up charge for one or more restaurants and/or consolidates the number of eateries.  All the lines are trying to be more environmentally friendly, the buffet on the main lines days could be numbered since there's a lot of energy to transport, refrigerate, cook then dispose of unused food.