Leonardo class

Hello everyone
Does anyone know when NCL will finally publish some information about Leonardo Class ships?
I am extremely curious about the itineraries and deck plans. I really like the fact that, unlike other cruise lines, Norwegian returns to slightly smaller ships. It seems that NCL is heading more towards being a premium line, while MSC and Costa apparently want to become "the Carnival of Europe", or in other words "the Ryanair among  cruise lines" 😞.  I think Leonardo may be the best new ship to be built in the new decade.

• Like 2

April Maybe Harry Sommer Said in some Interviews. 

The virgin ships looks really great at the moment. The msc ships Seaside/view looks also great.  The ships of both are based of the same model project then Leonardo. We will see  If Leonardo beat them.

3 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

It seems that NCL is heading more towards being a premium line,

I can't imagine what you see in NCL or Leonardo that would make you think that way.  

My perspective is that NCL has been on a race to the bottom with Carnival for a few years now.  "premium line" seems like the opposite direction from what I have observed.

Edited by PATRLR
typo
  • Like 5

. It seems that NCL is heading more towards being a premium line, while MSC and Costa apparently want to become "the Carnival of Europe", or in other words "the Ryanair among  cruise lines" 😞

What? No indication of premium. New mid/size ships to slowly replace the smaller, less economical ships. new ships packed with revenue generating “optional experiences” for $$$$. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steff79 said:

April Maybe Harry Sommer Said in some Interviews. 

The virgin ships looks really great at the moment. The msc ships Seaside/view looks also great.  The ships of both are based of the same model project then Leonardo. We will see  If Leonardo beat them.

i was told during one of the sr officers Q&A sessions that the parabolic aft design of the Ninja Turtle class saves 20% fuel.

so all future ships will be based on that design for the foreseeable future.

guess other lines are also using that same fuel saving design. :o

now my question is what ships (if any) will retire when the new ships come out?

im thinking Star since it has so many proportion problems.

spirit might be the oldest ship in the fleet but ncl spent ALOT of $ on her for the reburb this year. her refurb costs more than the refurbs of the Megaships, which are twice her size.

Edited by fstuff1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What? No indication of premium. New mid/size ships to slowly replace the smaller, less economical ships. new ships packed with revenue generating “optional experiences” for $$$$. 

Maybe you're right. Norwegian is far from beeing a premium line. But I still think that the "packed with revenue generating optional experiences" Leonardo Class is anyway much better and friendlier for passengers than the even more "packed" and huge ships of the Msc's World Class for 7000 people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i was told during one of the sr officers Q&A sessions that the parabolic aft design of the Ninja Turtle class saves 20% fuel.

guess other lines are also using that same fuel saving design. 😮

If you are talking about the round bulge of windows and open deck, then that has absolutely nothing to do with fuel consumption.  What that person would have been referring to is the "ducktail" stern (the radically sloping aft portion that does not extend far below the waterline), as this increases the "waterline length" of the ship, which for a given beam increases the "hull speed", or the optimum speed for minimum fuel consumption.  There are also other reasons for the ducktail, when combined with the reverse bow design.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Hello everyone
Does anyone know when NCL will finally publish some information about Leonardo Class ships?
I am extremely curious about the itineraries and deck plans. I really like the fact that, unlike other cruise lines, Norwegian returns to slightly smaller ships. It seems that NCL is heading more towards being a premium line, while MSC and Costa apparently want to become "the Carnival of Europe", or in other words "the Ryanair among  cruise lines" 😞.  I think Leonardo may be the best new ship to be built in the new decade.

Costa is owned by Carnival so aren't they the Carnival of Europe?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Love Blue said:

Costa is owned by Carnival so aren't they the Carnival of Europe?  

That is true that Costa belongs to Carnival, but for example Cunard Line also does and that fact doesn't automatically make Cunard the "Carnival of Great Britain".

That is why large corporations like Carnival or Norwegian have several subdivisions so that they can offer different standards.

It is a pity that Carnival Corporation recently forgets about the point and builds the same huge ships for all its subordinate lines. (Except for Cunard so far, but we'll see what will happen in the future)

54 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Just saw this article from November: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/348360/norwegian-eyes-lng-powered-ships-after-leonardo-class-launch

“We are talking to other shipyards – Meyer Werft and Fincantieri – about subsequent classes of ships which will exist after Leonardo series has finished and part of that discussion is about LNG.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If you are talking about the round bulge of windows and open deck, then that has absolutely nothing to do with fuel consumption.  What that person would have been referring to is the "ducktail" stern (the radically sloping aft portion that does not extend far below the waterline), as this increases the "waterline length" of the ship, which for a given beam increases the "hull speed", or the optimum speed for minimum fuel consumption.  There are also other reasons for the ducktail, when combined with the reverse bow design.

So, I would assume that all Disney ships already have the ducktail feature?   🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

While I do realize the attempted humor of your question, the answer would actually be YES...they have that exact feature.

10899106244_559f7e90a9_b.jpg.ca26fc79deb64cc0c4694843d6a93c76.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Not unique to Disney, other cruise lines have ducktails. Last year i was on the Carnival Sunrise where they added a tail during the drydock refurbishment 

19 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

13 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

While I do realize the attempted humor of your question, the answer would actually be YES...they have that exact feature.

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Not unique to Disney, other cruise lines have ducktails. Last year i was on the Carnival Sunrise where they added a tail during the drydock refurbishment 

Yes, and the addition of a ducktail to at least one Disney ship changed it from being able to use the old Panama Canal locks to having to use the new ones, making it the first ship ever to change up.

• Like 1

I heard speculation from a sales consultant on board one of the away-class ships that there will be no studios on Leonardo class ships.

Given that a few cruise lines DO offer a limited amount of solo rooms on smaller ships, including Virgin which has the Solo Insider rooms, I am wondering how accurate the sales consultant's speculation is. Perhaps there will be no studio lounge area, but I'm thinking they might still have a handful of solo studio suites.

As I understand one of the problems going bigger is you need to go higher.

If you go longer and wider you limit the docking options. 

Go higher you start to get limits due to bridges. 

The slightly smaller ships can have wider deployment options so are a lot more flexible to market conditions. 

And will Leonardo Class have the Haven at all? On the renderings there aren't any larger cabins, as well as no typical Haven Courtyard pool area.

The Haven pool would be OK (Joy) if they decided to actually heat it. Otherwise it is good for 6yo's and people wearing 10mm wetsuits.

To steer the discussion about NCL and thus Leonardo class being more premium; it seems NCL did a good job with the Spirit dry dock, even noticed padded loungers on the aft pool deck on the shared photos which were Haven material in the past? A tell tale that the smaller ships (which attract an older demographic) will be indeed more "premium"?

In the long run NCL has to offer more to justify their higher pricing? :classic_smile:

edit, the loungers:

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

It is a pity that Carnival Corporation recently forgets about the point and builds the same huge ships for all its subordinate lines. (Except for Cunard so far, but we'll see what will happen in the future)

The size of a ship is the one thing.But the interior is the other thing. 😉

YOu can built a mega ship and put 2500 cabins on it or only 1800 cabins. You can have 1500 crew on such a ship or 2500. 😉

So it is all ambout what you make out of the ship.

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

To steer the discussion about NCL and thus Leonardo class being more premium; it seems NCL did a good job with the Spirit dry dock, even noticed padded loungers on the aft pool deck on the shared photos which were Haven material in the past? A tell tale that the smaller ships (which attract an older demographic) will be indeed more "premium"?

In the long run NCL has to offer more to justify their higher pricing? :classic_smile:

edit, the loungers:

Hi freestyle, the best answer to the question is, new informations are coming when there will be a everything... thread here. Will there be a everything thread? Not sure if Doug is posting here longer, think his last post was in his encore live. 

Edited by Steff79

12 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

Hi freestyle, the best answer to the question is, new informations are coming when there will be a everything... thread here. Will there be a everything thread? Not sure if Doug is posting here longer, think his last post was in his encore live. 

If there's anything to start an Everything: yes. :classic_biggrin:

But it has been very quiet since the announcement. The first Leonardo will be near completion in less than two years from now on, March 2022, so there should be some deck plans around somewhere..

• Like 2

Thanks Freestyle- I was just about to ask when we expect the first ship☺️   

I'll be interested to see if they are a complete departure from the Away and Away+ ships.   Will we still have the WaterFront?  Observation Lounges?  I can do without more racetracks....