Advice please on a cold

JasonBefore

27 minutes ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

Sorry but that's not an option for me. I'm not putting my plate down for 5 minutes while the food gets cold just to wash my hands.

I carry a bottle of spray-on alcohol. It's better than nothing. I use it after serving my food in the buffet OR handling the menus in the MDR.

From what I've observed in the MDR, the menus are NOT cleaned between uses and definitely not between passengers during the same meal service.

I begin "self-medication" immediately upon boarding … ( well most times before that as I am not driving 😎 ) and continue with a 'dosage' about every hour or so … seems to have worked very well for me, except that time I was 'over-dosaged' in Crooners 🥃

but I still didn't catch a cold ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I carry a bottle of spray-on alcohol. It's better than nothing. I use it after serving my food in the buffet OR handling the menus in the MDR.

From what I've observed in the MDR, the menus are NOT cleaned between uses and definitely not between passengers during the same meal service.

I suppose it might be better than nothing against other peoples germs but I'll be darned if I'm going to rewash my hands because I sneeze. 

I've come to accept that traveling during flu season I'l going to catch something. 

4 hours ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

I suppose it might be better than nothing against other peoples germs but I'll be darned if I'm going to rewash my hands because I sneeze. 

I've come to accept that traveling during flu season I'l going to catch something. 

With that kind of attitude, not only will you probably "catch something", you will also be spreading whatever you do catch to everyone else on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never touch the menu at breakfast since that's the meal I eat the most using my hands. Plus it doesn't change except for the specials on the right. I look at the posted menu as I'm entering the dining room.

I was quarantined for an upper respiratory infection in December on the CB. I was eventually reimbursed for all my expenses between my primary insurance and the Princess insurance. 

Just received this email from Princess as we are  on the Crown 6th March sailing.

CORONAVIRUS TRAVEL ADVISORY
We're monitoring the situation with the coronavirus that originated in mainland China, and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. As a precaution, anyone who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau or Hong Kong (including airport transits), or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be allowed to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us with proof of this travel for a full refund of the amount paid to Princess Cruises. All guests will also be subject to pre- boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Due to changing circumstances, it is possible that authorities in the countries on your cruise may change their entry requirements on short notice. Please check all entry requirements prior to your arrival to the ship to ensure you are not impacted. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. We may change requirements to safeguard guests and crew.

On 2/21/2020 at 4:04 PM, pink845 said:

Not a matter of choice.  The right and decent thing to do is to cough or sneeze into ones  sleeve or into the crook of one's elbow if they do not have sleeves and to promptly wash their hands for twenty seconds including the space between their fingers with hot soap and water.  If not able to do wash their hands after said cough or sneeze; then clean hands with sanitizer which is readily available in tiny bottles that can easily fit into almost any pocket.     Yes, it might mean leaving the buffet line and washing ones hands, but the food is not going anywhere!

Its called the Common Cold for a reason. 
Its Common.
And virtually impossible to stop the spread of due to the rapid rate of mutation....and is impossible to vaccinate against as there are over 200 strains of it.
Coronvirus is a strain of common cold.

Touch is not the main reason for spread. Its airborne and even sneezing into a tissue or the elbow will result in millions of droplets floating through the air.
If you are susceptible to that strain of the virus, you will get it.

Its also pretty harmless.

Touch is very much a part of transmitting covid-19.  It can survive for days on most surfaces. China is even destroying paper currency due to transmission threat. You touch something, then it gets transferred to utensils, glasses, etc. and you have just been infected.  Not only should menus be sanitized but salt and pepper shakers and other condiments that are on the table. If a server who served you had the virus it is now on the edge of your plate or glasses that you pick up.   It also gets in through your eyes. 

It is not that similar to the common cold in that it started from animal to human transfer.

It has more serious consequences.  Please don't let down on your level of keeping yourself germ free not just for yourself but for the other passengers and help on the ship.

5 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

Touch is very much a part of transmitting covid-19.  It can survive for days on most surfaces. China is even destroying paper currency due to transmission threat. You touch something, then it gets transferred to utensils, glasses, etc. and you have just been infected.  Not only should menus be sanitized but salt and pepper shakers and other condiments that are on the table. If a server who served you had the virus it is now on the edge of your plate or glasses that you pick up.   It also gets in through your eyes. 

It is not that similar to the common cold in that it started from animal to human transfer.

It has more serious consequences.  Please don't let down on your level of keeping yourself germ free not just for yourself but for the other passengers and help on the ship.

Great advice thanks.

Tony