Oceana bad luck...

AndyMichelle

It seems Oceana is going through it a bit this week. 

After delayed boarding, overnight in IJmuiden changed to Rotterdam, they have now been told they cannot dock in Brugge due to a lack of pilots. 

She has only managed to reach one of the advertised ports. 

Passengers onboard saying nothing is being offered by P&O. 

I wonder if this comes under 'significant changes'.. 

Andy 

Someone onboard has posted on the Oceana facebook group that Brugge has been cancelled due to more gales.

Seems strange that a major commercial and passenger port like Zebrugge would have a lack of pilots.

Looked at 'windy' and it was forecasting winds of 35knots (just about gale 8) and a 3.5 metre swell out in the North Sea for tomorrow morning - doesn't seem excessive for a cruise ship docking with tug support.

No doubt we will find out. We are due on her on Sunday for the Canaries cruise so will keep an eye on proceedings.

Either way shame for those onboard - not quite the cruise they were anticipating!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It seems Oceana is going through it a bit this week. 

After delayed boarding, overnight in IJmuiden changed to Rotterdam, they have now been told they cannot dock in Brugge due to a lack of pilots. 

She has only managed to reach one of the advertised ports. 

Passengers onboard saying nothing is being offered by P&O. 

I wonder if this comes under 'significant changes'.. 

Andy 

Looks very much like it, Andy - let's see whether P&O treat everyone properly, or just those who know what they're entitled to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Looks very much like it, Andy - let's see whether P&O treat everyone properly, or just those who know what they're entitled to.

Hi Harry, Will be interesting but I suppose these things have to be discussed and cleared with head office.

When we were 'stranded' in Tenerife for 5 days on Ventura back in December it was about 48 hours before we were informed that we would all get 50% of our cruise fare back. Lets hope that P&O are as generous to the current Oceana passengers as they were to us.

I do feel a bit sorry for both sides - whether weather related of lack of port facilities, P&O must be thinking 'what next' especially with the Corona virus outbreak having a significant effect on almost all cruise lines. 

• Like 1

My daughter is on the ship. The shortage of pilots is due to the fact that outgoing pilots have been unable to get off and return to the port due to weather. The Rotterdam pilot has been asked to bring his passport with him in case he has to stay on until Southampton. The captain says that force 10 winds are expected.

The unknown is whether the Southampton pilot station will be open when the ship arrives, which is expected to be late Saturday/early Sunday. You will recall that Oceana had to divert to Brixham last weekend to pick up the Southampton pilot, which contributed to the late arrival. 
Brian

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrianI said:

My daughter is on the ship. The shortage of pilots is due to the fact that outgoing pilots have been unable to get off and return to the port due to weather. The Rotterdam pilot has been asked to bring his passport with him in case he has to stay on until Southampton. The captain says that force 10 winds are expected.

The unknown is whether the Southampton pilot station will be open when the ship arrives, which is expected to be late Saturday/early Sunday. You will recall that Oceana had to divert to Brixham last weekend to pick up the Southampton pilot, which contributed to the late arrival. 
Brian

Thanks Brian for clarifying. 

The cruise the weekend before the Brixham one had to pick up the pilot from Ramsgate, so maybe that will be the same again. 

Our local weather forecast for Southampton for the weekend didn't seem too terrible, so fingers crossed they have a safe journey back. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Someone onboard has posted on the Oceana facebook group that Brugge has been cancelled due to more gales.

Seems strange that a major commercial and passenger port like Zebrugge would have a lack of pilots.

Looked at 'windy' and it was forecasting winds of 35knots (just about gale 😎 and a 3.5 metre swell out in the North Sea for tomorrow morning - doesn't seem excessive for a cruise ship docking with tug support.

No doubt we will find out. We are due on her on Sunday for the Canaries cruise so will keep an eye on proceedings.

Either way shame for those onboard - not quite the cruise they were anticipating!

I hope your cruise is uneventful and you have a great time.

43 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Currently onboard Oceana. Yep there have been issues. They are beyond P&O - acts of god. When you book a cruise you know the risks. Guess we just call it a mystery cruise. 

There was an interesting discussion about insurance on the radio two days ago about the recent flooding incidents in the Borders. According to the representative from the association of insurance companies there is not longer any provision for “acts of God” so it can no longer be used as a get out clause.

I feel sorry for the passengers, P&O and the poor pilots who can’t get home for dinner. Hope the weather begins to improve for them.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I hope your cruise is uneventful and you have a great time.

Thanks . Only been cruising for the last 8 years but have realised it's a bit of a lottery! Some go smoothly and others are a bit of a shambles! Got a fair few booked going forward so will take the chance.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, the issue on Ventura was mechanical and the ship was unable to physically complete the itinerary it was scheduled for, and as such i'd believe this was the (obvious) reason that compensation was given.

As it relates to the current cruise whereby Oceana is facing adverse weather conditions outside of the control of the company and as such the itinerary is altered, there is still a service being offered/supplied despite the lack of ports being called upon per the original itinerary.

I'm almost certain there's a clause in the passage contract which no doubt states that an itinerary may be altered due to weather, etc. followed by a lot of similar legalese which removes and/or limits liability unless the company wishes to offer a 'good will' gesture.

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Seems similar to compensation for airline delays. Weather issues,  no compensation , mechanical delays-compensation due. 

It's covered by different legislation, unfortunately for the cruise companies:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations#what-if-my-package-holiday-changes-after-it-starts

The P&O small print is overridden by The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.

No let out clauses, as there are for airlines because it's a package holiday.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations#what-if-my-package-holiday-changes-after-it-starts

The P&O small print is overridden by The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.

Thanks Harry  - I learn something new everyday.  

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Harry,very informative.

Rotterdam is not too different from Amsterdam now they use Ijmuiden - my friend who is on the cruise was still going into Amsterdam from Rotterdam. Must have been rough not to get into Zeebrugge - don’t hear of that often. 
Will be interesting to hear how she enjoyed the cruise once she gets back.

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Rotterdam is not too different from Amsterdam now they use Ijmuiden - my friend who is on the cruise was still going into Amsterdam from Rotterdam. Must have been rough not to get into Zeebrugge - don’t hear of that often. 
Will be interesting to hear how she enjoyed the cruise once she gets back.

It was only indirectly the weather that stopped the Zeebrugge call. All the pilots were stuck out on ships or had worked their allowed hours and couldn’t work again until after their statutory break.

It has been interesting! We’ve not long since had an alarm call  broadcast during the evening show, for the emergency team to the engine room. Took 5 minutes to get the all clear after they found some smouldering lagging.

and....did we mention the false alarm just after midnight a few days ago that was sounded throughout the ship. The deputy captain came over the system to explain it was a false alarm, it wasn’t until the following morning that the Captain gave details of the how the computer had rebooted itself and sounded the alarm! 

We have had a good time though and crew have been great. 

Edited by Tilly20
Adding detail
  • Like 1

Hello from Oceana. 
We got a bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin. No note just a ‘with compliments’ slip. 

Can someone clarify. Not sure after reading the threat If we are able to claim for anything.

we have the letters from the ship showing change of itinerary for the travel insurance. 

My insurance told me £50 per person for each cancelled port. 

Is there anything else that we could claim for?

Should we asking for a partial refund from P&O?

I assume by keeping us floating at sea all day going  round in circles is to provide an alternative to being in Bruges. 

looking at the schedules we are due to dock before midnight into Southampton. 

Considering we didn’t board till around 9pm last week- have we been short changed here? They were quick to throw 15 quid each to our account because we missed lunch- but it was utter chaos. 

5 minutes ago, Satureyes said:

Hello from Oceana. 
We got a bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin. No note just a ‘with compliments’ slip. 

Can someone clarify. Not sure after reading the threat If we are able to claim for anything.

we have the letters from the ship showing change of itinerary for the travel insurance. 

My insurance told me £50 per person for each cancelled port. 

Is there anything else that we could claim for?

Should we asking for a partial refund from P&O?

I assume by keeping us floating at sea all day going  round in circles is to provide an alternative to being in Bruges. 

looking at the schedules we are due to dock before midnight into Southampton. 

Considering we didn’t board till around 9pm last week- have we been short changed here? They were quick to throw 15 quid each to our account because we missed lunch- but it was utter chaos. 

Yes.  You can claim a partial refund from P&O. See post 14 above.

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes.  You can claim a partial refund from P&O. See post 14 above.

I read that but was thinking they can say they offered a different port (Rotterdam) and a day at sea etc. 

Do we need to start the process on the boat or is this a travel insurance job?

1 hour ago, Tilly20 said:

It was only indirectly the weather that stopped the Zeebrugge call. All the pilots were stuck out on ships or had worked their allowed hours and couldn’t work again until after their statutory break.

It has been interesting! We’ve not long since had an alarm call  broadcast during the evening show, for the emergency team to the engine room. Took 5 minutes to get the all clear after they found some smouldering lagging.

and....did we mention the false alarm just after midnight a few days ago that was sounded throughout the ship. The deputy captain came over the system to explain it was a false alarm, it wasn’t until the following morning that the Captain gave details of the how the computer had rebooted itself and sounded the alarm! 

We have had a good time though and crew have been great. 

It has been eventful! Glad you’ve had a good time though.