Paid upgrades embarkation day?

marktwothousand

Are there ever any paid upgrades available at check in or after boarding on NCL? Every time I've ever boarded a ship, the sign saying there are no upgrades available is always up at the customer relations desk by the time I board. Is this something that's just displayed by default, or do they actually sometimes have paid upgrades available on embarkation day? I've never been an early-boarder, but I might try to be one of the first on board if it means getting a shot at paying for an upgrade.

13 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Are there ever any paid upgrades available at check in or after boarding on NCL? Every time I've ever boarded a ship, the sign saying there are no upgrades available is always up at the customer relations desk by the time I board. Is this something that's just displayed by default, or do they actually sometimes have paid upgrades available on embarkation day? I've never been an early-boarder, but I might try to be one of the first on board if it means getting a shot at paying for an upgrade.

It is a permanent sign. They don’t want 4500 people lining up at Guest Services trying to upgrade or even change rooms. So, no, they don’t do upgrades on embarkation day. 

1 minute ago, marktwothousand said:

That’s fine then, if they want empty cabins and don’t wanna take money that I’m basically offering that they wouldn’t otherwise have...their loss. Thx 

Funny how you started off asking if there ever were paid upgrades available as you have never seen it...was told no there's not....and now you seem pissed at the cruise line for not offering them to you.  Odd how some people think 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

That’s fine then, if they want empty cabins and don’t wanna take money that I’m basically offering that they wouldn’t otherwise have...their loss. Thx 

How do you know that there are empty staterooms?

Most people who want an upgrade pay for the upgrade before boarding. 

Of course I am angry. I’m offering cash and a company won’t take it.

My TA doesn’t offer the upgrade advantage program and it’s always possible a couple of people cancel their cruise at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Not many - but it does happen. So if a cabin does open up last minute, why a company wouldn’t want to take free money for it is beyond me.

they’re always advertising “free money” to us in their cruisenext ads, they should swallow some of their own medicine 

The pay for an upgrade up front.  Don't be mad at something that has been this way for years.  And as someone who admittedly "is not an early boarder" would probably only be more pissed if the answer was yes, there are upgrades but you got there too late.  

Of course then it would be NCL's fault for not somehow making it fair regardless what time you boarded. 

They could make it first come first serve and I’d be happy. But don’t hold back cabins last minute that passengers might enjoy. Especially if I’m willing to pay cash/money. Plus, Maybe they were sold out when I booked And I didn’t have access to the kind of cabin I wanted, so I couldn’t book it anyway...but Then, say a handful opened up on embarkation day. Lots of circumstances Could be at play here, not simply that I neglected to book it in the first place.

Not to mention they “first come first serve” for Vibe passes, so doing the same for upgrades isn’t, by any means, the madness you are making it out to be. 

Plus, what if it was a genuinely underbooked sailing? It does happen. Why a cruise line would want to deny accepting money is beyond me... I genuinely thought the sign might not be permanent and I’m disheartened to hear it is.

Edited by marktwothousand

If people cancel at the last minute, odds are the upgrade fairy steps in and moves some lucky people into a better cabin with a trickle "up" effect until the empty cabins are insides.  That means the open cabin is  not an upgrade now is it.  But, heck, why don't you and your money show up early at the pier and be one of the first to check in just in case.  I don't think the check in people are going to shoot you just for asking, despite the sign.  And, since not being able to bid in the upgrade advantage program is obviously a sore point for you, why not find a TA who participates or book directly through NCL yourself.  If you booked through NCL yourself, you could even call them say every day or so and see if anything better opens up for you to pay for....eliminate the middle man.  

If you are working with a travel agent ask them to check current  rates up to the week of your cruise on cabins you would be willing to pay a little more for. 
So if rates drop enough that you can get into an upgraded cabin for an amount that you would be ok paying, go ahead and give your TA permission to change your cabin for that set amount. 

The rates dropped enough on my cruise in March that I could get into a Haven cabin for the amount I bid, so I just went ahead and paid the difference.

• Like 1

Rather than being mad at NCL for not offering something they haven't offered for years (and people on this board confirming that to you)...as someone mentioned...get a new TA.  Or insist your TA allows you to bid for upgrades or you will leave.  Or book directly with NCL as opposed to a TA.  Or pay for the upgrade/room you want.  

Getting mad at the cruise company for not offering something they haven't offered in years (maybe ever?)...just silly 

Edited by MrMike45