Going thru years of cruise paperwork with Princess

kywildcatfanone

We try never to save paperwork from cruises.  We do have our pins on a cork board in the basement.

I do have my dad's barf bag collection from the 40, 50 & 60 from old airline flights, go figure.  I had planned to frame them one day, never got around to it.

framer

For many cruises, I would come home with every bit of anything that I wanted to save for memorabilia purposes.  I have complete sets of dinner menus and daily programs for many of my cruises.  I have two totally filled plastic storage boxes of my 2008 Grand World Voyage on the Amsterdam with most of the gifts from the ship that I received.  And, of course:  lots of photos!

Due to a couple of reasons, the main one being the difficulty of keeping luggage weight within proper limits when I fly, I am now much more selective in what I save and am photographing the dinner menus and daily programs.  But, doing so, it's just not "quite the same" for me to look at the image of those programs and menus as it is to actually hold the item.  

There are ocean liner memorabilia dealers that may be interested in buying what one has.  I have told my family that when I have passed, if they simply start pitching my collections into a dumpster, they are pitching money that they could have inherited.  

Every time we book a cruise, I have a notebook folder which contains: airfare, cruise fare, itineraries and any hotel/car rentals for the trip. I like to keep those so I can compare costs. I also keep the daily patters and the final tally of the cruise miles and such. We take one photo when we board and that is our memorabilia (they are on the side of our refrigerator with magnets we have gotten <grin>).

I am currently going through the "cruise room" which holds all the special stuff required that we would not want or need for a land trip. Wow! Boy do I keep everything! They say that the spring cleaning is good for the soul. I am about to toss a lot and just keep the notebooks from every cruise. 

Great subject!

On 2/22/2020 at 8:51 PM, triple7tahoe said:

Back in the dark ages they often gave sets of menus at the end of the cruise-Unlike today where there is set menu rotation, each day/date was on the menu-  I have a couple of sets of menus from early Lurline sailings to Hawaii that have art on the front and now sell on Ebay for big bucks. (Glad I saved those): there are some old P&O menus in the same box along with bar prices-Love the soda/coke at 6 pence. We also recently moved from one house to ??? (apartment and 3 storage units) so I can not tell where that box is but it did come with us 🙂

I remember when they did this.  It was so neat to have the old menus to go back through. Wow the old Lurline?  Those menus were so great and I loved the art.  Have you seen the book To Honolulu in Five Days: Cruising Aboard the Matson's S.S. Lurline?

We've been cruising since 1982 and I put together an album for each of the 62 cruises we've been on. The albums held many photos, all the daily programs, many many menus, cruise cards, passenger list books, and on and on. The albums took up a lot of space so we consolidated all the cruises into a couple of fairly large plastic containers a little over a square foot and 2 inches deep. Sort of broke my heart from all the memories but did keep a lot of stuff that we thought was important to us including key cards, cruise documents and a lot of the photos plus some memories from some of the ports especially from Europe. Our fridge is still plastered with magnets from every port we have visited.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your post.  The book is available.  Tempting to buy it.

I have it and it is fascinating reading, not just about the cruise industry, but also her history as a war vessel. Reading it is a bit like taking a cruise in the grand old days when it was truly a luxury. Amazon is offering it for $3.15, but I paid cover price and never regretted it.  

We also save all our cruise documentation in folders in a plastic box.  One of our favorite documents is the final bill from a Carnival cruise we took in the late 80's with our 11 and 13 year old daughters (their first cruise).  The first day out sunning on deck I ordered each of them a virgin strawberry daiquiri which they just loved.  Wanting to let them soak in the experience, I advised them that while they were out, on their own, they could order the same drink from any bartender and they would bring it to them. My youngest daughter took my advice to heart.  When I got the final bill it contained 13 bar charges in the final 5 days of our cruise, all for the same $4.35 from bars all over the ship.  I felt like the dad in Home Alone 2 when he saw the hotel charges for Kevin's room service. 

Occasionally we pull that room bill out and show that to our daughter and laugh about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

We now save only Most Traveled Guest photos, the Patter if our photo is on the front and our key cards (haven’t yet sailed on a Medallion cruise). DH has put all the key cards on 4” binder rings. 

Even the photo's are piling up over the years. 😄 Oh, btw I see there are no longer photo's on the front page of the patters.

I've scanned all my old patters & store them on Google docs as we're in Florida where space is at a premium since we moved & no longer have a basement to store all the accumulated junk like we used to. Other than a small box full of old cruise cards & Medallions the rest of it goes in the trash. 

Wow... I must be unsentimental. I never saved anything from any cruise and don't even know the names of the ships from the first two cruises I went, on Celebrity in Feb 2002 Western Caribbean and HAL in February 2009 Panama Canal. I do however have from my parents their scrapbooks of all the cruises they went on maybe beginning in the late 70's/early 80's exclusively on HAL, all their menus and photographs. Those were the days when you dressed for dinner every night and formal night was exactly that. For their first few cruises I remember going onboard the ships for bon voyage parties.

8 hours ago, kitty2264 said:

One of our favorite documents is the final bill from a Carnival cruise we took in the late 80's with our 11 and 13 year old daughters (their first cruise).  The first day out sunning on deck I ordered each of them a virgin strawberry daiquiri which they just loved.  Wanting to let them soak in the experience, I advised them that while they were out, on their own, they could order the same drink from any bartender and they would bring it to them. My youngest daughter took my advice to heart.  When I got the final bill it contained 13 bar charges in the final 5 days of our cruise, all for the same $4.35 from bars all over the ship.  I felt like the dad in Home Alone 2 when he saw the hotel charges for Kevin's room service. 

Thanks for posting this memory!  Reading it caused a big smile on my face.  

12 hours ago, kitty2264 said:

We also save all our cruise documentation in folders in a plastic box.  One of our favorite documents is the final bill from a Carnival cruise we took in the late 80's with our 11 and 13 year old daughters (their first cruise).  The first day out sunning on deck I ordered each of them a virgin strawberry daiquiri which they just loved.  Wanting to let them soak in the experience, I advised them that while they were out, on their own, they could order the same drink from any bartender and they would bring it to them. My youngest daughter took my advice to heart.  When I got the final bill it contained 13 bar charges in the final 5 days of our cruise, all for the same $4.35 from bars all over the ship.  I felt like the dad in Home Alone 2 when he saw the hotel charges for Kevin's room service. 

Occasionally we pull that room bill out and show that to our daughter and laugh about it. 

What a cute story! 🙂 

And hello 'neighbor' -- I see you're in Lawrence and we're in Salina.  

On 2/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, shellgirl61 said:

I save all the paperwork from the cruises. I scrapbook each trip. When I finish each book, I toss the remaining things that I do no use in the books.

I do too!  I scrapbook each year so the cruise is always included with the rest of the year 💙💙💙