Two days out and my upgrade offer is still pending

pugsammy

I get the impression that a lot of people tend to book a cabin they might be ok with but really... they hope they'll get upgraded if they just pay a little extra.  Unfortunately, you need to be very sure of what you're doing.  Inexpensive cabin, low > medium bid, unlikely to get you what you really want.  (not saying it's impossible, just unlikely) JMO

😉

This time of year is also not a very good time to hope for upgrades.  The ships are booked out early and very few people cancel, so very little room for upgrades.  There are other times of the year where you probably have a better shot.

6 hours ago, Mom2kmo said:

Why the mad emoji?  You got the room you paid for, if you wanted to be guaranteed a different room, you should have booked it out right!  

I think it was more disappointed than mad. OP saw processing so hopes were raised. 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

This time of year is also not a very good time to hope for upgrades.  The ships are booked out early and very few people cancel, so very little room for upgrades.  There are other times of the year where you probably have a better shot.

Although with all this CoronVirus stuff going around, i would not be surprised if there was a allot of cancellations before final payment, that may create opportunity for successful bidding, but to early at the moment..  I for one bought cancel for any reason insurance for our AK trip in June.  Hopefully this virus blows out of here by than!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, tgloersen said:

Although with all this CoronVirus stuff going around, i would not be surprised if there was a allot of cancellations before final payment, that may create opportunity for successful bidding, but to early at the moment..  I for one bought cancel for any reason insurance for our AK trip in June.  Hopefully this virus blows out of here by than!

Hi,  can I ask where you got your cancel for any reason insurance and how much it cost?  I am within my window to take insurance but only for a few more days. We are booked beginning of May in the Western Med with a heavy Italian itinerary.  Getting nervous.  Thank you!

On 2/25/2020 at 2:37 PM, tgloersen said:

According to NCL if you cancel due to any reason other than medical, you only receive 75% back.   So let us know if your insurance covers 100% for cancel other than medical and if so where did you find this insurance?   We are schedule 14 day out of Southampton in June.  

34 minutes ago, TheSpaver said:

Hi,  can I ask where you got your cancel for any reason insurance and how much it cost?  I am within my window to take insurance but only for a few more days. We are booked beginning of May in the Western Med with a heavy Italian itinerary.  Getting nervous.  Thank you!

Check out Travelinsured.com - we purchased "cancel for any reason" insurance for our river cruise with Viking in August.  It was recommended by our travel agent.  

1 hour ago, Mom2kmo said:

According to NCL if you cancel due to any reason other than medical, you only receive 75% back.   So let us know if your insurance covers 100% for cancel other than medical and if so where did you find this insurance?   We are schedule 14 day out of Southampton in June.  

I've never seen 100% CFAR, the highest being 90% for a lot of $$$ with the normal amount being 75%. It usually has to be bought within 14 days of first deposit. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 4:23 PM, Mom2kmo said:

So you're saying if someone with no insurance at all cancels their trip directly through NCL for fear of coronavirus and NCL themselves don't cancel, they will still give you 75% back?

43 minutes ago, TheSpaver said:

So you're saying if someone with no insurance at all cancels their trip directly through NCL for fear of coronavirus and NCL themselves don't cancel, they will still give you 75% back?

If you have insurance 

49 minutes ago, TheSpaver said:

If you are before final payment and in the US, you get everything back (some countries have non-refundable deposits).  If you are more than 90 days out, 75% back and so on. 

Penalty table for cancellation (no insurance involved)

119 - 91 days 25%*  
90 - 61 days 50%*  
60 - 31 days 75%*  
30 days or less

100%

On 2/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

I get the impression that a lot of people tend to book a cabin they might be ok with but really... they hope they'll get upgraded if they just pay a little extra.  Unfortunately, you need to be very sure of what you're doing.  Inexpensive cabin, low > medium bid, unlikely to get you what you really want.  (not saying it's impossible, just unlikely) JMO

😉

It has worked for me several times in the past....but now there is new leadership and/or policy about pricing.   Maybe that's the difference.   Before the current worsening of the virus crisis, I was ready to book a pricey NCL itinerary.   Didn't do it because I didn't want to risk being stuck in that inside I usually book (and have been in on occasion) given what happened with Diamond Princess.   It may also depend on how large the ship is.  The times I've been able to upgrade for low cost were all on one of the larger ships during weeks that are less popular.  Would never count on an upgrade during holidays/spring break, etc.

• Like 1