Help! Silent cabin on Symphony

Jamst

Hi guys! I've been planning my very first cruise and I need some help from you, the experts!!!

I've been studying Symphony decks and thinking about booking a mid-ship cabin with ocean view balcony on deck 10 or 11, something not very near but not very far from the elevator... The reason is that I want complete silence when I go to bed at night but also the most silent scenario if I decide to take a nap after shore excursions and before dinner to look alive during night entertainment.

Well, the thing is that after reading some reviews, decks 10 and 11 seem to be very far from everything else! I don't mind walking if I have to choose between my good naps and distance BUT I'd like to know from you if there is an alternative for that... if there is a deck which is also silent but I'll be nearer to the venues. Or should I stick with 10/11?

Everybody talks about how much they love deck 8 because of Central Park, but wouldn't it be a reason for noise? Not only from the venues but also from people walking around deck 8?

Please, Help me!

Thank you very much for your time 🙂

Not specific to this ship....but in general you want a cabin above you, and ideally a cabin above that and a cabin below you.  Unless you are unlucky cabin's generally don't generate a ton of noise.  Public areas on the other hand generate a lot of noise (unless it is the library) as does work areas such as a kitchen.  Being below something that is noisy is worse than being above something noisy.

Also you need to decided what you want most.  Being near the action and being in a quiet area are mutually exclusive.  But no matter what you do on a cruise ship there is a significant chance of noise. 

We had a great cabin on Oasis, her sister ship - Deck 8. If you look at the deck plans, you will see there is actually a wall between you and the festivities on Deck 8, with openings for elevators and stairs, just like any other deck. We did not find it noisy at all. The only people who should be in the hall are the people with cabins in the vicinity of yours; otherwise, it's not considered a short cut or pass through or something like that.

I will echo the sentiments on Deck 8 - very convenient to Park Cafe and coffee in the morning. 😊 As well, do you wear, or would you consider wearing ear plugs if it is such a concern? Might not hurt, since it will be a "new" environment for you.

EDITED TO ADD: Also, there is a forum dedicated specifically to Royal Caribbean - you will find lots of good information there. Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

Edited by Langley Cruisers

If you really need silence, then a cruise ship may not be for you.    We love cruising and the ships, but have never found them conducive to total quiet.   While ships are in motion, there is usually some "creaking" and "groaning" background noise - not noticeable to many, but if you're very sensitive to noise you may hear it.   In rough weather it can get noisier, both from cabin movement and outdoor wind and waves.   There is often brief conversation in the hallways from other passengers or crew as they walk past doorways.  In some ships you can hear conversations or TV sets from next door.        Invest in good earplugs and learn how to insert them properly and hope for the best!

Edited by Kartgv
  • Like 3

I don’t believe you will find a totally quiet cabin.  As others have said be sure to book where there are cabins above and below you.

Sadly you may experience rude neighbors who constantly slam their doors or loudly talk up and down the hallways...and there is not a lot you can do about this.

• Like 1

NO cabin is completely soundproof.  There will ALWAYS be hallway noise...it's simply the nature of the beast.  You may want to bring ear plugs, or a white-noise machine....

If you pick a deck with cabins above AND below you, you'll be insulated from thumps and bumps from public areas... but there is NO "silent" cabin.