confusing refund process for cancelled cruise

bebe08

We were booked on one of the Millie cruises that has been cancelled.  We were given plenty of warning as cruise isn't until April.  We received a letter that stated we would receive full refund (including air if we booked thru X which we did) as well as 25% FCC.   Not sure what to expect re air as it was non-refundable (Air Canada) but was booked with X.  This has never happened to us before so not sure what to expect.  

Earlier this week a partial refund was issued to my credit card.  It is about 60% of total paid, or about 75% of just the cruise cost.  I've heard that refunds can come in dribs  and drabs so haven't reached out and asked yet.  I booked through a TA and have heard that all refunds are processed by the TA?  Is that correct?   We have not seen the FCC yet, although I have been told by X I can retroactively apply it to the new cruise I booked once I get it(this one I booked directly).

I know both X and TAs are very busy with all the cancellations so I'd rather not reach out unless this isn't typical. FWIW I did speak to both X and TA last week as my cancelled Japan cruise was mysteriously replaced with a 5 night Baja cruise and I was getting emails about making payment on it.  X couldn't help at all as the reservation # was tied to Japan cruise which was booked with TA.  TA spoke to X and I was told not to worry would sort itself out.  

Would be interested to know if this is typical of refund process, and I just need to be a bit more patient.

From past experience I know that refunds for the cruise comes in a couple of transactions, so what you are seeing for the cruise part is normal.  I have no experience with refunds for cancelled air.  I would expect that FCC's are being processed in order beginning with the first cruises cancelled and working forward. 

I've received refunds from Celebrity in multiple credits.   I was told the reason for this was to speed the refund up.   If it were done as one transaction it could cause the banks to put a hold on the credit until it cleared the bank.

At the best of times, refunds can be a bit slow in coming and spread out over two or more payments. Given the current situation, the sheer volume of refunds, far surpassing the norm, will undoubtedly result in somewhat longer delays. In your shoes, I'd reach out to my TA every couple of weeks or so.  

1 hour ago, bebe08 said:

We were booked on one of the Millie cruises that has been cancelled.  We were given plenty of warning as cruise isn't until April.  We received a letter that stated we would receive full refund (including air if we booked thru X which we did) as well as 25% FCC.   Not sure what to expect re air as it was non-refundable (Air Canada) but was booked with X.  This has never happened to us before so not sure what to expect

Our friends cancelled an April cruise before final payment with cruise air - Air Canada and they got a voucher for a future cruise on the air portion.  Will be interested if that is the same case for you.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

At the best of times, refunds can be a bit slow in coming and spread out over two or more payments. Given the current situation, the sheer volume of refunds, far surpassing the norm, will undoubtedly result in somewhat longer delays. In your shoes, I'd reach out to my TA every couple of weeks or so.  

My big big TA agent owner said they had some 5000 cancellations in the last 10 days. In normal times you would get a couple credits followed by a letter or email with a FCC. Then a credit regarding the air if through Celebrity Air. 

Am guessing some weeks for all.

Keep good records and as suggested reach out to your TA. They - not Celebrity - have all the details and they are buried with refunds and cancellations.

On times I've had refunds from Celebrity, the amounts have been in the amounts of various payments made.  For example, if one makes a $900.00 deposit, then a $2000.00 final payment, then a $600.00 payment to upgrade, the refund will be broken into those three amounts. 

Also, each payment was credited back to the account used to make it, so if you've switched credit cards during the life of the booking, you may get money back on a card you no longer use.  If that card is closed fully, there can be an additional delay in you actually seeing the money.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

We were on the cancelled Millennium cruise of 28 March and as of last Sunday, we've received our full refund, credited to the card we used to pay for the cruise. So the full reimbursement was completed seven business days after Celebrity announced the cancellations. 

The payment came in four instalments, starting with (what I guess corresponded to) the amount of our deposit and two days later three separate payments which, judging by the amounts, were the port tax/fees, the agent commission and the remainder of the fare. The refunds were processed by Celebrity, not our TA.

Regarding the FCC, because we immediately booked a new cruise, Celebrity agreed to directly apply the FCC amount to that newly booked cruise, so we never received an FCC by (e)mail.

Interesting that people on cruises after hours have received refunds/credits - We were booked on the cancelled Feb 15 Millie sailing - Haven't received anything - My parents were booked on the same cruise and haven't received anything either.  Was told by Celebrity to wait 5 weeks - if after 5 weeks we haven't received anything to call them ...