Jost Van Dyke

AmandaKaye79

• 4 months later...
On 7/6/2021 at 10:12 AM, blue_water said:

Missin’ White Bay, Seddie’s One Love is our fav spot…great Bushwacker!

Hi Blue Water...my wife & I are going to Tortola on NCL on Jan. 13th ( Thurs..) ..right now there is NOT an excursion to JVD because we arrive in Tortola at 6 am and they don't know if they want to do the excursion so early ( 7 am departure ) and NCL Encore leaves at 1 pm..they still might might do the excursion, but the NCL agent said to keep looking to see if they add that excursion to JVD..should I take the New Horizon ferry at 8 am and get the 12 noon return? Any other options IF NCL doesn't add this excursion? We had our hearts set on going to JVD and trying the Painkiller!! LOL...

Big Al 

Hi Al - I think the noon return ferry is just a bit risky. Even with no delays you’d be pushing it..

There may be a better option…
Tyere is an outfit in Cane Garden Bay that provides transportation to Jost in a powerboat. Last time we used that it was  $50/pp. But they will drop you right at the Soggy $ and pick you up in Great Harbor if you want. 
I would pose that question in the BVI forum on TTOL. The Tortola forum on TripAdvisor may also be of help, but not as much…
Let me know how you make out!

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Hi Al - I think the noon return ferry is just a bit risky. Even with no delays you’d be pushing it..

There may be a better option…
Tyere is an outfit in Cane Garden Bay that provides transportation to Jost in a powerboat. Last time we used that it was  $50/pp. But they will drop you right at the Soggy $ and pick you up in Great Harbor if you want. 
I would pose that question in the BVI forum on TTOL. The Tortola forum on TripAdvisor may also be of help, but not as much…
Let me know how you make out!

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Thanks! Just posted on TTOL...never heard of them before, so now I have another option besides CC & TA...

TTOL is primarily home to sailing aficionados but there are many residents, business owners, and frequent land visitors who can help with questions like that.

I hope there is a good option today. Taxi fare to CGB is ~$9/pp each way so if you can prearrange the water taxi you should have a great day 😉

• 2 months later...

Your port times don’t make it very easy for you do they!

Is there a ship excursion to Jost? If so that would be a good choice I think, as long as the bars are open! 
The alternative would be a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay or Brewers Bay…

Hi Blue Waters,

You seem to have a lot of information. We are on the NCL Encore and will be in Tortola on March 31, 2022. Our port time is short, 6Am - 2PM, and the ship excursion only has one person availabilty. How would i find out and book the powerboat to Jost from CGB?

1 hour ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

No they don't... do they. Thankx for getting back to me. The ships excursion was full (late decision to sail) Will be placing a request for standby on board.  

Yes that is frustrating…
Worst case there are bars in CGB…

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kaybeebee said:

Hi Blue Waters,

You seem to have a lot of information. We are on the NCL Encore and will be in Tortola on March 31, 2022. Our port time is short, 6Am - 2PM, and the ship excursion only has one person availabilty. How would i find out and book the powerboat to Jost from CGB?

Hi - I don’t have any current info on powerboat options from CGB to Jost, sorry. There always seemed to be one operator or another, but not sure about today.

If you want to pose that question on the TTOL forum you should get a helpful reply…

Hello  Im looking at the Celebrity excursion to Jost Van Dyke.  It mentions lunch at the "beach bar" to include a burger or hot dog.  Can I expect that the beach bar is Soggy Dollar or are there others?  And then I can I choose to purchase off the menu??  Thanks for any info.  This is our first time in Tortola.  Thank you!

5 hours ago, 2boxers said:

Hello  Im looking at the Celebrity excursion to Jost Van Dyke.  It mentions lunch at the "beach bar" to include a burger or hot dog.  Can I expect that the beach bar is Soggy Dollar or are there others?  And then I can I choose to purchase off the menu??  Thanks for any info.  This is our first time in Tortola.  Thank you!

Not Soggy Dollar, it is in a pavilion sort of place down the beach. You can, of course, skip the provided lunch and walk to Soggy or Seddy's to buy lunch on your own, depending on how much time you have.  Not a long walk, but all the bars operate on island time, so if they are busy, it may take a bit of time for your food to arrive. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, blue_water said:

Yes that is frustrating…
Worst case there are bars in CGB…

Well we wound up going to Long Bay Beach. We were, as mentioned, supposed to de departing at 1PM. Due to the high surf we would not be going to Stirup Cay. They threw us a bone and we were not leaving till 4:30p. Problem we didn't find this out till we were leaving the ship for the beach. No time to plan JVD ferry! Double Wammy.  Coulda planned ferry to JVD. but no notice. No GSC, high seas. Thankx for your help anyway! 

• 6 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 3:37 PM, jbiker said:

Has anyone done Soggy Dollar on their own lately instead of the short ship excursion using New Horizon ferry out of west end?

We are looking for this information as well.  So many include snorkeling or the baths and not just a roundtrip to the beach without taxi, etc.