Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?

rascalchu

3 hours ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Going on Bliss to Alaska in May.  No plans to cancel, however I am considering purchasing travel insurance which I don't normally do.  If NCL were to cancel the sailing, would travel insurance cover that?

If NCL cancels then you will get a full refund directly from NCL.  They also have been covering up to $300 per person for travel expenses.  If they do not cancel and you decide cancel on your own, you more than likely will not be covered unless you have “Cancel for any Reason” insurance.  

Edited by Liljo22

I have a trip in Sept out of Venice. Although it is some time away, I will have to pay the remainder of my cruise payment in May. Now I have NCL insurance, and flight insurance, but NCL only gives me 75% toward a future cruise if I cancel. I guess it's a wait and see what happens between now and than.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I have an Alaskan cruise in May and haven't cancelled it yet.  I'm taking a wait and see approach.  My big question is what are the cruise lines doing to ensure that as new crew members join the ship that they haven't been exposed to the Coronavirus.

Cruise2.thumb.jpg.72f9636e6bf2a07e737677cf31f5d721.jpg

That is hysterical!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chesneygirl said:

Last Thursday, we decided to cancel our Bliss cruise that leaves today 3/1.

We had the cancel for any reason insurance and made the decision to be better safe then sorry. If it wasn't for the insurance we would still be going but since we paid for it and had it in place it just seemed like a no brainer. We will rebook at a later time once things start to settle down with the Coronavirus. 

What is the procedure for this? Do you have 75% or 90% credit and is this a percentage of everything you had paid already or are there exclusions (such as the insurance itself. etc.)

Just now, Snowrose said:

At this point - with less than 2 weeks before we leave - I'm getting less worried. The infection rates aren't exploding, at least not right now. I think we'll be good for our cruise.

this is how I feel. We leave in one week

• Like 2

Compromised immune system for my wife has us not booking that next cruise. Supposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall but probably not.

Good reading though at world o meter.com. Constantly updated worldwide. Experts opinion.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Compromised immune system for my wife has us not booking that next cruise. Supposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall but probably not.

Good reading though at world o meter.com. Constantly updated worldwide. Experts opinion.

Thanks for the WorldOMeter.com info.   Fascinating information.

Thank you Noobcruiser for the insurance info.  I did find the cryptic insurance company lol...it stated on there that you must purchase the cfar insurance within 21 days of first deposit.  Too late for us unfortunately.  But I do appreciate the info!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Booboochase said:

Thank you Noobcruiser for the insurance info.  I did find the cryptic insurance company lol...it stated on there that you must purchase the cfar insurance within 21 days of first deposit.  Too late for us unfortunately.  But I do appreciate the info!!

Give them a call anyway....we were right at the 21 day mark and were concerned we wouldn't be eligible (we were actually at the 20 day mark). My wife seems to recall that for the policy we were signing didn't have that limitation. They were very helpful, you could probably get an answer right away. I HAVE seen that a lot of carriers have been adjusting their policies because of Covid-19, effecting policy's purchased after January 21. At least you will be able to get some info for your next cruise....

We are booked on the May 28 cruise out of Civitevecchia.  Shame on us for not getting travel insurance.  Lesson learned.  I'm hoping if things continue to get worse in Italy, NCL will cancel and we will be offered a full credit for a future cruise.  We had award travel for airfare so all that will cost us is a small fee to re deposit miles.  

I and 6 friends are leaving on the Jade April 9 out of Rome.  There is a rumor that NCL may change the port (Rome).  Would be a mess for airfare, pre and post hotels etc.  And NCL wouldn't need to refund anyone because port changes are covered in the contract we all signed. 

Yes, we unfortunately waited too long after final payment to purchase our insurance so we do not have cancel for any reason. If I did I would cancel our cruise next week. We may just decide to take the hit and not go anyway. I'm not really that concerned about getting sick. I am just worried about getting stuck in quarantine or unable to get home on time for whatever reason. I can't be out of office that next week for any reason.

Capefearshore, same...the whole quarantine thing is my hesitation.  Our cruise is the end of March, so we have a bit more time to decide whether we will eat that (substantial) cost or not.  My guess is we will.  Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Booboochase

17 hours ago, luv2c00k said:

Thanks for the WorldOMeter.com info.   Fascinating information.

What I find interesting about the above referenced site is that there have been over 80,000 influenza deaths this year and only around 3,000 from Covid-19, yet everyone is in a panic about the latter but ignoring the former.

BTW in keeping on topic we are scheduled for an Alaska cruise around  the 1st of June and have no intention of canceling.

2 hours ago, Mr.AgentMan said:

I'd eat a coronavirus popsicle before I'd cancel my cruise. 

Hmmm. Easy to say that, but in practice? Some of the people from Diamond Princess are still not out of the hospital. they haven't been home in nearly a month.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Hmmm. Easy to say that, but in practice? Some of the people from Diamond Princess are still not out of the hospital. they haven't been home in nearly a month.

First, definitely hyperbole.  Second, I don't think they even make that flavor.

I guess it was just a lighthearted way of saying that I have no intention of canceling a cruise based on the threat of a virus that is much less dangerous than the car ride to the port.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, zqvol said:

What I find interesting about the above referenced site is that there have been over 80,000 influenza deaths this year and only around 3,000 from Covid-19, yet everyone is in a panic about the latter but ignoring the former.

BTW in keeping on topic we are scheduled for an Alaska cruise around  the 1st of June and have no intention of canceling.

I leave on the Sun from Port Canaveral this Saturday.   We plan on being on the ship.   

You are so correct about influenza deaths and you will find that many were the elderly or those with compromised immune systems the same as with Covid-19.   Although they report that the instance of death is higher with Covid-19 than influenza they also report that the % is probably high because there people who have the virus and it is never reported.   They never see a doctor because it is the same as having the yearly flu for them.   

The threat of catching influenza or the norovirus does not stop people from cruising.   

• Like 1

Never a second thought on canceling.  We leave next month for Bermuda out of NYC.  The cruise is only 4 days and we're spending 3 days in the Big Apple!  Love that city!  Unless they shut down NYC and cancel our cruise, we will be there ready to party!!

15 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Never a second thought on canceling.  We leave next month for Bermuda out of NYC.  The cruise is only 4 days and we're spending 3 days in the Big Apple!  Love that city!  Unless they shut down NYC and cancel our cruise, we will be there ready to party!!

It could be if this snowballs .....   https://www.foxnews.com/health/new-york-coronavirus-patients-wife-children-neighbor-test-positive

On 3/2/2020 at 12:12 PM, luv2c00k said:

I leave on the Sun from Port Canaveral this Saturday.   We plan on being on the ship.   

You are so correct about influenza deaths and you will find that many were the elderly or those with compromised immune systems the same as with Covid-19.   Although they report that the instance of death is higher with Covid-19 than influenza they also report that the % is probably high because there people who have the virus and it is never reported.   They never see a doctor because it is the same as having the yearly flu for them.   

The threat of catching influenza or the norovirus does not stop people from cruising.   

The mortality rate for Covid-19 is being reported as 3.4%.  There is no vaccine and no treatment other than your own immune system.  There are a lot of people who die from flu, but the mortality rate is also low (less than 1%) from a percentage perspective.  If you look at the percentages, the extreme caution makes sense (at least to me).  We have a Carnival cruise scheduled for April 4 and an NCL on May 31.  I'm wishing I didn't have either one past final payment right now as we would probably delay until there is a little more clarity with the coronavirus situation.  

Edited by Newfun4me

We, too, are booked out of Civitavecchia on May 28 with stops in multiple Italian ports. I'm praying the cruise gets cancelled even though we've been looking forward to it for a long time. Italy is at level 3 - avoid all non-essential travel. If it stays there or gets worse, we shouldn't be forced to either take risks or lose a lot of money. We do have trip insurance but not CFAR.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, rascalchu said:

We are on the March 22 cruise out of LA to Mexico on the Joy.  Somewhat concerned about the virus.  We’re young and healthy but have young kids as well so we’re not sure what to do.  

Did anyone cancel a recent cruise or are thinking about cancelling?  

That's a tough one.  I think all you can do is monitor the situation and make a decision closer to the date.  From what I've read, it seems like it's not impacting kids as much, but I'd be worried about some sort of quarantine.  My husband and I are booked on an April 4 cruise on Carnival to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel.  I'm just watching and waiting right now.  If it seems too questionable, we will cancel and know it was the right decision for us at the time.  

On 3/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, cementhands said:

Wow.  Definitely puts it in a different perspective.  The last article I read this morning said the mortality rate had gone up to 3.4%, but the statistics on that site certainly seem to show that it's likely to go higher.  That doesn't count all the active cases...  Thanks for sharing.