Seeing castles from Rome or Venice

Airrace

20 minutes ago, Airrace said:

Has anyone been on a tour of castles from either Rome or Venice. I am looking for an all day tour of visiting some castles in Italy.

AFAIK, there are not that many castles near Rome. Are you, perhaps, thinking of palaces? There are lots of palaces in both Rome & Venice.

Edited by dogs4fun

4 hours ago, Airrace said:

Has anyone been on a tour of castles from either Rome or Venice. I am looking for an all day tour of visiting some castles in Italy.

Can you give some idea of what you're looking for or interested in? 

As per the above response, I'm not sure you're going to find a lot of "castles" if you're thinking of a specific type like Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany....

There is Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome itself, which has a very interesting history. It started out at the tomb of a Roman emperor (Hadrian) and later was turned into a "castle" by the Popes in medieval times -- you can tour the inside including the lower vaults and the upper level rooms that were used by the Popes. The Castel Sant'Angelo is actually connected to the Vatican by a (somewhat) secret passageway.  It features in the Dan Brown book (and movie made from it) "Angels and Demons".

There is also Castel Odescalchi in Bracciano, just outside Rome (near Civitavecchia) which is pleasant but not sure if I'd devote a whole daytrip just to see it. If your visit to Rome is on a daytrip from the port at Civitavecchia, perhaps a tour to visit Bracciano and also the Etruscan tombs would make an interesting and fuller day.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Can you give some idea of what you're looking for or interested in? 

As per the above response, I'm not sure you're going to find a lot of "castles" if you're thinking of a specific type like Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany....

There is Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome itself, which has a very interesting history. It started out at the tomb of a Roman emperor (Hadrian) and later was turned into a "castle" by the Popes in medieval times -- you can tour the inside including the lower vaults and the upper level rooms that were used by the Popes. The Castel Sant'Angelo is actually connected to the Vatican by a (somewhat) secret passageway.  It features in the Dan Brown book (and movie made from it) "Angels and Demons".

There is also Castel Odescalchi in Bracciano, just outside Rome (near Civitavecchia) which is pleasant but not sure if I'd devote a whole daytrip just to see it. If your visit to Rome is on a daytrip from the port at Civitavecchia, perhaps a tour to visit Bracciano and also the Etruscan tombs would make an interesting and fuller day.

We went on a tour to the Papal Palace at Castel Gandolfo; well worth the time.

Between Venice and Bolzano are several castles.  That area around Bolzano was part of the Austrian Empire until land was re-appropriated after WW1 (I think it was WW1).  So, it has a definite Germanic feel to it.  Also, good vineyards and wineries!!   I've not done the area as a day trip, but as a stopping point on a leisurely drive from Venice, through the Dolomites, to Innsbruck.  Do a little research and see if it can be done as a day trip.  That's the best i can offer.  

There is the very beautiful Miramar castle in Trieste  overlooking the sea.  But it’s about two hours away.   Closer to Venice are numerous Palladian villas, many along the Po river and there may be tours available.  We did them with a rental car.  

We took a tour with Romecabs to the Etruscan site in Cerveteri and also enjoyed the  castle in Bracciano.   

Near Viterbo is the stunning Villa Farnese , which is more of a palace.