Is a South America cruise on your bucket list? Or have you been?

BBMacLaird

Quite a few years ago, before we discovered Azamara we did a great cruise with HAL from Valparaiso to Rio, right around Cape Horn. We were very lucky with the weather around the bottom of the continent - calm seas - and we were able to get into Port Stanley in the Falklands. Some highlights of the trip were seeing Gentoo & Magellanic penguins on Magdalena Island, visiting Port Stanley, all of Buenos Aires and being part of the Ipenema Beach Street Party in Rio during the Carnival.

This year we did the Lisbon to Rio transatlantic on the pursuit and loved Salvador de Bahia (eve tho’ it poured down) and Buzios in Brazil.

• Like 2

Funnily enough South America was how we found Azamara! We love South America and have done Machu Picchu , Rio, Iguazu Falls three times and three South American cruises in the past on Celebrity and Hal.

We have always chosen cruises for the itinerary so last March when we wanted to go back to Rio we found that Azamara Pursuit fitted in with our plans. For the first time ever after forty cruises I loved the ship so much that even now I am missing it. The other ships were nice but with Azamara  I realised that it was the first time I actually relaxed and was stressfree as there was no queuing on the ship and always free seats at shows or for meals etc. Fellow passengers and staff were friendly. We have just booked Pursuit for Norway this August and Journey for Italy for next year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Borrie said:

Did B2B South America /Antarctic cruises with Celebrity Eclipse last year.   Loved it so much we are taking friends there on Azamara Quest in 2022.

I was on Azamara Pursuit and we passed Eclipse on its way to Ushuaia as we were leaving and I saw her from the balcony and got a blurry shot.  This was just before you got on I think.

I really enjoyed South America and especially Antarctica and the highlight of seeing a proper tango show in Buenos Aires (not one of those with an expensive meal included).  There are a few challenges, not least getting ship supplies and areas where there is really not much there at all if for instance the ship has to make a detour.  You also need to be sensible with your personal safety and not for example wear too much jewellery.  It’s one of the only times I waited for the $10 watch sale to be on!

Phil

3C43B609-2EB0-4C10-B2F6-6E5E015101BC.jpeg

• Like 1

I have done six cruises in South America and Phil's advice is correct.  

It is part of the experience the need to be self aware.  But everyone is so friendly in Peru and Chile in particular.  

The other thing I would add is do not book a cruise calling at the Falkland Islands if visiting there is an absolute must.  We have attempted twice to pay our respects to someone lost in the 1981 conflict.  Both times we could not dock due to weather and that is understood.  Sadly, the marketing of these cruises does not highlight that this port has about a 1 in 3 chance of being able to tender in.  Our experience, many onboard get very upset when they hear this port is having to be dropped - and some feel their whole cruise was bad based on this disappointment.

My other advice (sorry Bonnie) try and do Machu Pichu and Iguazu on your own, do not cram it into a land discovery event.  We set out own experiences up, we were actually on the Hiram Bingham at the same time as the Azamara group.  We had much more flexibility and far more dollars still in our pockets

I just loved the happiness of this lady in Cusco.

1C1BE77E-E854-4AC5-B8BD-ACE4C9378ECF_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

Our very first (and still our best) Azamara cruise was in February 2008 on Journey to South America and Antarctica.

We were very fortunate to be able to get to every port including Port Stanley although our tendering was a little delayed by heavy swells.

The day in the Falklands was unforgettable and it turned really warm in the afternoon.

A little incident has we left the Falklands the Ship picked up what was thought to be a fishing net on the propeller, luckily it was dislodged by reversing it.

Later in the cruise we witnessed a Lunar Eclipse at midnight off the coast of Argentina.

It was that cruise that got us hooked on Azamara, sadly we are not so keen anymore but we have some great memories of our cruises.

We were on Seabourn Miami to Buenos Aires via the Pacific coast of So. America.  We splurged on an excursion to Machu Picchu and it was one of the best things I've ever done.  The purpose of this trip was to experience So. America, but the cruise included Antarctica, and that turned out to be the best feature of all.  BA is a fabulous dynamic city, Montevideo very charming, and some of the ports in Chile absolutely breathtaking.  But note that many ports in Ecuador, Peru, and northern Chile were container ship ports without much to offer.  So choose carefully.  Someday I hope to return to Brazil...I went there in 1983, not on a cruise.

• Like 1

We did a South American cruise last year on Ocenia. We went from Buenos Aires to Lima and we were able to get into every port. Seeing the penguins in Port Stanley was a high lite. We also extended (with the cruise company) to go to Machu Picchu. Yes, you can certainly do it yourself but it requires a bit of logistics. We stayed in Cuzco and unfortunately during February/March the train to Machu Picchu does not leave from Cuzco. It was about a 90 minute mini-bus (held 16 people) to get to the train station. The road is also windy. If you do it on your own make sure you get a guide for the site. The buildings are labeled but there is no guide book or brochure. The site also limits when you can visit. You either go for 4 hours in the morning or 4 hours in the afternoon--there is no longer the option to stay all day. But 4 hours is plenty of time to enjoy the site. This was a once in a lifetime experience and highly recommend going.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, BBMacLaird said:

Lucky you! How did you like BsAs? 

Bonnie . . . We loved Buenos Aires . . . and every day of the cruise so far. AzAmazing Evening last night in Montevideo was Amazing! Carnival in Uruguay lasts 40 days! I've posted some pictures to my Facebook page . . . feel free to look me up at Jerry Rabinowitz.

Went 11 years ago on QM2 fab and not too rough going round the horn. Next year going to Rio and then to Amazon, on 21 day cruise.  Fantastic place amazing scenery, wildlife, etc, go if you can.

Edited by veggieonboard
spelling and added someithing

We did the Christmas/New Years last year and love the two week with some Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina.

BA was amazing we were very careful with No jewelry but had a great time exploring the city before and at end.

Took AZ one day Falls trip and it was excellent.

B1C751C8-8DF5-4D1B-8265-3DD7ECEC4D54.jpeg

5CDA9AE3-25F5-4907-92C9-D2A1868916E1.jpeg

B4729140-0960-49D7-BF6D-C39EB096E805.jpeg

6974E6FF-89AA-49CD-8053-A9CB81C34D09.jpeg

7B33DAD3-1337-4219-B934-86D07324286F.jpeg