Escape Skipping Costa Maya....Again

We are currently on Escape.  We just waved good-bye to Costa Maya as we passed by her shores.  It seemed as though we were docking and then the captain announced that due to predicted high winds and swells later in the day, we would not be docking there after all.  It is breezy this morning and water seems a little choppy.  Are these conditions something that can be predicted from a distance (like a storm)?  I'm assuming the real story is that they refused us due to Corona.  Can anyone confirm if other ships are in Costa Maya today?  

Thanks!

The Carnival Dream, Harmony OTS, and Celebrity Edge are all suppose to be with you in Costa Maya today.  The Dream and HOTS do not get there until later.  The Edge looks like its still at sea but heading North now.  Seems like they are skipping Costa Maya also.

Edited by Liljo22

We were there two weeks ago on a windy day.  The Dawn did an extremely slow and very cautious docking.  The approach to docking took over 30 minutes.  I'm guessing we were on the edge of not docking and bypassing the port.  After Carnival and Cozumel, I'm guessing they are more cautious now.  

• Thanks 1

We were there on a windy day in January. We docked but the ship was never cleared. We

broke two mooring lines and then pulled out within 10 minutes or so. Costa Maya is not a protected port. You also have to factor in the schedule for other ships. Other ships could serve to block the wind, but if they depart earlier, wind conditions could become more severe.

Edited by blcruising

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are currently on Escape.  We just waved good-bye to Costa Maya as we passed by her shores.  It seemed as though we were docking and then the captain announced that due to predicted high winds and swells later in the day, we would not be docking there after all.  It is breezy this morning and water seems a little choppy.  Are these conditions something that can be predicted from a distance (like a storm)?  I'm assuming the real story is that they refused us due to Corona.  Can anyone confirm if other ships are in Costa Maya today?  

Thanks!

I suspect that the real reason is the predicted weather. Waves in that area are predicted to be over 10 feet today, and winds oaround 40 kts. Hang on for a fun  ride this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

The Dream probably decided to save on the fuel.  They are still off the coast of Cozumel.  

The tracking site I use showed they sailed south as far as Costa Maya, but didn't dock.  They looped back to the North and now appear to be heading back to Cozumel.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 4.23.53 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Escape is probably very cautious after her “incident” earlier this year when she damaged the dock at Harvest Caye. The dock was out of service (may still be oos). 

The dock is still out of service.  We (Dawn) and the Pearl are both tendering today.

• Like 1

The pier itself is way out from shore and is not well protected sheltered from high winds and surf.

Guests could easily be swept off the dock and into the not so great water near the pier.

As noted one ship could offer a wind break shelter but if it pulled away - this would leave the other

ship at the mercy of whatever the wind blows. 10 foot surf (waves) could easily splash over the

pier surfaces.

Map image LINK shows the extent of the pier away from land:

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.7301318,-87.6921405,1894m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Thanks 1

I am on Harmony of the Seas and I can confirm that our stop in Costa Maya with you was cancelled due to high winds.  The winds were very strong by the time we did our sails-by, so as experienced cruiser I totally believe it. Our Captain said the pilot boats felt it was unsafe to leave port;  it was that bad.   Be assured the port ar Costa Maya was closed to cruise ships yesterday due to winds, not viruses.