service animal announcement by NCL

maryivo

I found this on a different thread posted in the freestyle daily as an announcement to passengers and I thought it was pretty cool.  If you have a service animal this may be of interest to you.  It also serves as information to the general public as what to do when you encounter a service animal.  Thought this was interesting and a great thing for NCL to share. (it's from  a November sailing).

image.png.8887884fc384a6ce4b240180b85de9f8.png

• Thanks 1

Service animal? Fine.

If it is an "emotional support animal" leave it at home. 

I'm sick of dogs everywhere, especially airports and planes, because narcissists want to travel with their pet for free. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I've never seen a service animal on NCL. I've seen those so called "support animals" on Royal, though.

I think NCL enforces what true service animals are vs those pretend "support" animals.

Leave your pets at home.  There is no good reason to have them on a cruise ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

boy oh boy the negative replies!  i think it's a great thing that NCL informs other passengers.  i'm not sure of the exact policy but the law states people can have service animals everywhere they go.  doesn't bother me at all.  wow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maryivo said:

boy oh boy the negative replies!  i think it's a great thing that NCL informs other passengers.  i'm not sure of the exact policy but the law states people can have service animals everywhere they go.  doesn't bother me at all.  wow.

I think you missed the other posts points...... trained and certified SERVICE animals are always respected but an untrained uncertified peacock or pygmy goat as a "support" animal is not. 

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I've never seen a service animal on NCL. I've seen those so called "support animals" on Royal, though.

I think NCL enforces what true service animals are vs those pretend "support" animals.

Leave your pets at home.  There is no good reason to have them on a cruise ship.

I've actually seen service dogs on our last three cruises. The people who had them were all blind. 

• Like 1

Service animal?  Yes.

"Pet in a vest"? No.

Just because a pet in a vest can fool the greeter at Walmart* doesn't mean that the pet can cruise with you.

*even certified service animals aren't allowed in the shopping cart unless there is a blanket or similar between the animal and cart.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Service animal?  Yes.

"Pet in a vest"? No.

Just because a pet in a vest can fool the greeter at Walmart* doesn't mean that the pet can cruise with you.

*even certified service animals aren't allowed in the shopping cart unless there is a blanket or similar between the animal and cart.

i would imagine that NCL does it's due diligence and makes sure the service animal is legit.  I mean consider the fact that the animal will need to eliminate for 7 days days aboard a ship.  NCL would not take that lightly.  I can't imagine trying to get over on this policy.  My dog would be a nightmare on a ship...think Marly and Me.  I will miss her for sure but she's not a service animal.  I just think it's cool the way they put it in the daily.  I did not mean to spark debate as to whether or not they should be let on board.

5 minutes ago, maryivo said:

I just think it's cool the way they put it in the daily.  I did not mean to spark debate as to whether or not they should be let on board.

My post wasn't directed towards you (sorry, if it seemed that way). It was more of a general reminder to the people who do try to fool others with their Amazon-purchased vest.

• Like 3

NCL may ask for a card that some travelers have for airline travel. I have seen these attached to the dog collar but not sure if everyone does that or just has the card in a wallet. I was thrilled to sit next to someone with a disability that let her dog stop working for a few minutes so I could pet her dog. She even gave me a tiny card with her dog's picture on it. Aside from being a lovely person she told me that she travels for work and her dog goes with her. I later looked online because I like reading information about things I know little or nothing about.  https://adata.org/guide/service-animals-and-emotional-support-animals 

That said, I too am saddened by people pretending to have a disability so they can bring their pets in stores under false pretenses. Kudos to the service animals who work very hard to care for their patients.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Service animal?  Yes.

"Pet in a vest"? No.

Exactly!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

Service animal? Fine.

If it is an "emotional support animal" leave it at home. 

I'm sick of dogs everywhere, especially airports and planes, because narcissists want to travel with their pet for free. 

It LITERALLY says that it's a service animal.  It says it's highly trained.

Why are you making up counterfactuals just to complain?  Sheesh.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

It LITERALLY says that it's a service animal.  It says it's highly trained.

Why are you making up counterfactuals just to complain?  Sheesh.

Probably because too many people claim their pets are service animals when they are not service animals.

Or, perhaps because many people have no clue about the difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal.

Or maybe both reasons.

I don't think anyone is being judgmental just speaking on how some people "pretend" an animal is what it isn't. Emotional support dogs are not service dogs. Psychiatric Service dogs are considered service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. 

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA.  A Psychiatric Service Dog is a dog that has been trained to perform tasks that assist individuals with disabilities to detect the onset of psychiatric episodes and lessen their effects. Tasks performed by psychiatric service animals may include reminding the handler to take medicine, providing safety checks or room searches, or turning on lights for persons with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, interrupting self-mutilation by persons with dissociative identity disorders, and keeping disoriented individuals from danger.

https://www.k9sforwarriors.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-P2jl8uB6AIVUhh9Ch27RAjwEAAYASAAEgJ9JfD_BwE

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Because (believe it or not) some people try to pass off their pet in a vest as a service animal. The general public might not know the difference. 

I find that the opposite happens much more.  People attack genuinely needed service animals as a frill or an affectation.

16 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

I find that the opposite happens much more.  People attack genuinely needed service animals as a frill or an affectation.

Living in Florida, I see more pets in a vest than actual service dogs. I see legitimate service dogs but they aren't the ones being pushed around in a baby stroller being spoken to with baby-talk.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Living in Florida, I see more pets in a vest than actual service dogs. I see legitimate service dogs but they aren't the ones being pushed around in a baby stroller being spoken to with baby-talk.

Different contexts then, I suppose.  Up here in Toronto, I've seen significantly more actual service dogs being questioned (often diabetic or epilepsy support dogs), than non-service dogs trying to be passed off as genuine.

Edited by Named-Tawny
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I don't think anyone is being judgmental just speaking on how some people "pretend" an animal is what it isn't. Emotional support dogs are not service dogs. Psychiatric Service dogs are considered service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. 

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA.  A Psychiatric Service Dog is a dog that has been trained to perform tasks that assist individuals with disabilities to detect the onset of psychiatric episodes and lessen their effects. Tasks performed by psychiatric service animals may include reminding the handler to take medicine, providing safety checks or room searches, or turning on lights for persons with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, interrupting self-mutilation by persons with dissociative identity disorders, and keeping disoriented individuals from danger.

https://www.k9sforwarriors.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-P2jl8uB6AIVUhh9Ch27RAjwEAAYASAAEgJ9JfD_BwE

NCL and all others can only do the following to ascertain if it is a true service dog.

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

No cards, ID or other documentation is required of a service dog.

Additionally

The ADA requires that service animals be under the control of the handler at all times. ... The service animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered while in public places unless these devices interfere with the service animal's work or the person's disability prevents use of these devices.

So if you see a dog that is not under control of their handler as stated above, you can be pretty sure it is NOT a true service animal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryivo said:

People are not being negative toward true service animals, it is the fakers and the emotional support dogs they are negative about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maryivo said:

i would imagine that NCL does it's due diligence and makes sure the service animal is legit.  I mean consider the fact that the animal will need to eliminate for 7 days days aboard a ship.  NCL would not take that lightly.  I can't imagine trying to get over on this policy.  My dog would be a nightmare on a ship...think Marly and Me.  I will miss her for sure but she's not a service animal.  I just think it's cool the way they put it in the daily.  I did not mean to spark debate as to whether or not they should be let on board.

You would be totally suprised how many dogs are on cruises that are not service dogs.  People lie about their dogs and companies/cruise lines are afraid to turn them away because they might get sued, because that is the first thing out of the mouths of fakers.  I've heard stories of dogs on ships pooping in public areas, being sat on tables in dining room and buffets, eating off plates, sitting on chairs...all these things a real true service dog would not do.

2 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

NCL may ask for a card that some travelers have for airline travel. I have seen these attached to the dog collar but not sure if everyone does that or just has the card in a wallet.

You can buy these on line, doesn't mean they are true service dogs.  Service dogs are not required to have any kind of ids, which I think should be correct by our government, then we wouldn't have these emotional support dogs every place you turn around.  Having emotional support animals everywhere is negative toward service dogs.  Think about it, if an emotional support animal, attacks a service dog and this does happen, the service dog does not retaliate, because it is working and its only attention is on its owner, thus they and their owner can be harmed.   Sorry this is my pet peeve.

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

Please remember that there are veterans suffering PTSD that need those animals. "Emotional support" does not always mean the spoiled woman and her precious poodle. Before you judge, know the situation.  

PTSD is a ADA approved disability, so if they have a trained dog for their PTSD, it is a service animal. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Different contexts then, I suppose.  Up here in Toronto, I've seen significantly more actual service dogs being questioned (often diabetic or epilepsy support dogs), than non-service dogs trying to be passed off as genuine.

Actually if they dogs are trained to alert the owner that they blood sugar are low or they are about to have a seizure, they are considered service dogs here in the states under the ADA qualifications.