Earliest flight out of Miami?

chloemonkey

First timers on Oceania....and wondering what is the LATEST that we can stay on board in MIami post cruise?  We are reevaluating the wisdom of spending another day in Miami after our cruise ends.....and figuring out whether or not to switch flights.

Thanks in advance...

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

When is your current flight?

Current plans are to spend one night post cruise in Miami....leaving the next day.  These arrangements were made LONG before this virus thing AND in order to get a wide body flight home. ...which is still my aircraft of choice.  But having second thoughts - that's all.....and wondering if we MAY be able to make the one wide body leaving the day of disembarkation which unfortunately leaves at 10;05 A.M.

It just seems with all that is going on - that I would like to get home asap after the completion of the trip...hence my bothering you all for your opinions. Thanks for understanding and hope that I am not a huge bother.

I think a 10:05 a.m. flight is too chancy after disembarkation. I would have said the same thing long before the Corona virus reared it's awful head.

MIA, no matter which airline, can be a mess and realistically you should be there at least 2 1/2 hours, or more, before your flight particularly if you are flying in the main cabin without frequent flyer status. TSA lines are often long and slow too.

Keep your original reservations and still get to MIA early or book a flight after noon even if that means a change of aircraft.

• Thanks 1

In the immortal words of Dirty Harry - “You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?“

I would never book a flight out of MIA before noon. Can it happen that you could actually make it? Yes, but the odds are very slim.

There have been many a cruise in Miami that didn't even start disembarking by 10 AM, regardless of their scheduled arrival, due to a number of causes (late arrival due to weather, immigration issues, etc, etc)

Consider the consequences of missing this flight - most likely you’ll have to buy a new ticket at last minute price whenever the next flight is available.

Totally your call.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

I got off the Riviera in Miami a week ago, Wednesday.   If you arrive mid-week and there are only a couple ships in port, that will help (shorter Immigration lines, less traffic/waiting for transportation.)   On a FRI/SAT/SUN, you are more likely to have unexpected delays.

First off (Self carry luggage) was scheduled for about 7:30 and I believe they were able to get off shortly after that.  Last off the ship, plan on 9:30am.

If there is a delay in clearance, or an Immigration personnel shortage, possible LONG delays.

If you can get a cab/ride immediately, plan on 15 minutes to the airport.  Do you need to check bags (add 15-30 mins), or straight to the gate?  Do you have pre-check? if not, add 15-30 minutes. 

Miami is a large terminal, could take 10+ minutes to walk/train from security to gate.

Gate closes 10-15 minutes prior to departure.

So yes, it is possible to make a 10:05am but all the stars have to align and you have to self carry and not check bags and have pre-check, all on a slow port day.

Good Luck!

checked baggage has to be there 2 hours before departure....carry on you can be there less than 1 hour....airports are empty and you can breeze right through! The only question is if you get held up disembarking for screening or customs.....under normal circumstances it's not possible to make that flight.

57 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

checked baggage has to be there 2 hours before departure....carry on you can be there less than 1 hour....airports are empty and you can breeze right through! The only question is if you get held up disembarking for screening or customs.....under normal circumstances it's not possible to make that flight.

not sure where you are getting this information, but American Airlines says bag check cut off time is 45 minutes prior to domestic flight or 60 minutes prior to international flight (departing Miami)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/check-in-and-arrival.jsp

if you are not checking bags, as long as you make it to gate prior to door closing (10 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights)

Edited by Nachosdelux

1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

not sure where you are getting this information, but American Airlines says bag check cut off time is 45 minutes prior to domestic flight or 60 minutes prior to international flight (departing Miami)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/check-in-and-arrival.jsp

if you are not checking bags, as long as you make it to gate prior to door closing (10 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights)

you are right

I came off Sirena in Miami on Feb. 1, a Saturday. My AA flight was at 10:30. We walked our luggage off ourselves at 8:00am,  grabbed a cab right away, and were at MIA in plenty of time. We did check in online for the flight the day before and checked luggage at the airport. The stars aligned for me.

Thanks everyone for the great insight and advice.  I have decided  NOT to take the chance...and we will overnight in Miami.  I had lung surgery a year ago and am NOT good at running to catch flights anymore!  TRYING to stay positive about taking this trip.....as I am usually NOT a worry wort....but this one has be concerned.  Fingers crossed and hope we are not the only ones on the ship!  The Roll Call looks dismal....

• Like 2

I think you have made an excellent decision, why worry when you have just enjoyed a fantastic relaxing holiday. Now you can wake up have a relaxing breakfast and a bit of sight seeing in Miami. I am sure you will enjoy your Oceania cruise, some of their roll calls are less attended than others.

Rosalyn 

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Never fly in the day of the cruise.  I cruise tomorrow. Sitting at airport waiting for a plane that has been delayed several times. 

I NEVER fly in the day of a cruise!  As I understand the possible delays/disasters that can happen.  This was "POST" cruise....so a little more flexible.  But for the record - we decided to keep our hotel reservations and stay one day post cruise THEN decided to CANCEL THE ENTIRE CRUISE!  So it is all mute at this point.....

But for the record I DO agree with you about flying in the same day.  The only time that we attempted it was when my hubby had a court case that would NOT settle....and after I had cancelled the wonderful First Class airline tickets....of course they settled the case!  So long story short....we took the Redeye.....not even two seats NEAR one another....but it worked out fine and we arrived in Miami early morning, had brunch at the Intercontinental...and then made the ship with time to spare.  

Sometimes the universe DOES line up....just not apparently this week.....

36 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

I NEVER fly in the day of a cruise!  As I understand the possible delays/disasters that can happen.  This was "POST" cruise....so a little more flexible.  But for the record - we decided to keep our hotel reservations and stay one day post cruise THEN decided to CANCEL THE ENTIRE CRUISE!  So it is all mute at this point.....

But for the record I DO agree with you about flying in the same day.  The only time that we attempted it was when my hubby had a court case that would NOT settle....and after I had cancelled the wonderful First Class airline tickets....of course they settled the case!  So long story short....we took the Redeye.....not even two seats NEAR one another....but it worked out fine and we arrived in Miami early morning, had brunch at the Intercontinental...and then made the ship with time to spare.  

Sometimes the universe DOES line up....just not apparently this week.....

Just got to Miami 12 hours late.  Sleep and then cruise. It has been a very long day.  Next time we drive from NJ to a Miami.