I successfully canceled my May cruise - here is advice for all

3 minutes ago, velmasue said:

Sounds like you got your call in before the 2 PM meeting or whatever it was.    Good for you!

I called tonight and am 80 days out so should have been 25/75  FCC/Refund  but they would not budge.  It doesn't matter for rules but we are Diamond Plus.

Not that you would want to, but I wonder if you could have taken 75% refund and no FCC. The invoice states the cancellation policy and it seems you should have the option to go with what's on the invoice. Now just hope my refund went through at 2 and there wasn't some kind of delay that put me past the deadline. 

For me cash is always better even if I plan to cruise again. I dont need NCL holding my money. I guess they were bleeding money.  When things calm down and people want to cruise again they will jack up the price and thereby deflate the value of my FCC. 

Edited by MoniMommy

6 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

Not that you would want to, but I wonder if you could have taken 75% refund and no FCC. The invoice states the cancellation policy and it seems you should have the option to go with what's on the invoice.

Yes, that was also an option to take 75% refund and forfeit the other 25%

7 hours ago, velmasue said:

I was told by RCCL Rep that as of 2 PM Tuesday they are only offering FCC no matter what penalty phase.  Taxes and fees refunded, that's all.  No big deal for us as we will be cruising before Dec 2021, but it may not be so good for everyone.

I cancelled last night at 7pm.  We were in 75% penalty and are receiving a FCC for 75% of our fare and 25% refunded to our credit card.  I called C&A and was on hold for less than five minutes and the rep I spoke to gave me our cancellation reference number and sent an email for the cancellation of all of our cruise planner items.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I cancelled last night at 7pm.  We were in 75% penalty and are receiving a FCC for 75% of our fare and 25% refunded to our credit card.  I called C&A and was on hold for less than five minutes and the rep I spoke to gave me our cancellation reference number and sent an email for the cancellation of all of our cruise planner items.  

I wish I had called C&A.  I called last night around 7:30 pm EST.  After waiting on hold forever, I was told only a 100% FCC would be offered, so I asked to speak to a supervisor.  Didn't get to talk to a supervisor until after midnight.   Supervisor said no, even though my in-laws who are on the same sailing and booked at the same time managed to get 50% refund to credit card and 50% FCC.   And they called in at the same time as I did!  Hah.  I spent a total of 5 hours on the phone and had nothing to show for it but a lack of sleep.  But, it was worth a shot.  As is usually the case, it is a roll of the dice when dealing with customer service.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, velmasue said:

I was told by RCCL Rep that as of 2 PM Tuesday they are only offering FCC no matter what penalty phase.  Taxes and fees refunded, that's all.  No big deal for us as we will be cruising before Dec 2021, but it may not be so good for everyone.

Did you call customer service number or crown and anchor number?

Can someone help with this question regarding the reuse of FCC within the "Cruise with Confidence" period?

We are cancelling our March 22nd sailing (all paid by credit card) and looking at options in early June, which is still withing the "Cruise with Confidence" policy.  If I apply the FCC from the March 22nd sailing to a June cruise and the corona virus is still bad enough to also cancel that new cruise in June, what happens with the FCC?  Is it reinstated?

Dan

1 hour ago, MoniMommy said:

Did you call customer service number or crown and anchor number?

I called the customer service # posted.800-256-6649.

However, my brother was booked on the same cruise with our reservations linked.  He called last night too (same number) and he did end up getting 75% refund and 25% FCC!  He has cruised with Royal several times but as Diamond Plus we definitely have higher status (which obviously means nothing).   At least I'm glad he was able to get mostly refund.

He had a different representative and his call was after mine so there is no rhyme or reason.

Edited by velmasue

7 minutes ago, velmasue said:

I called the customer service # posted.800-256-6649.

However, my brother was booked on the same cruise with our reservations linked.  He called last night too (same number) and he did end up getting 75% refund and 25% FCC!  He has cruised with Royal several times but as Diamond Plus we definitely have higher status (which obviously means nothing).   At least I'm glad he was able to get mostly refund.

He had a different representative and his call was after mine so there is no rhyme or reason.

I specifically said to the rep I got that I was in 75% penalty so that means I get a 25% refund to my credit card and a 75% FCC right?  He said, oh yes, you are in 75% penalty, I will calculate the refund now.  His numbers matched mine exactly and he went on to cancel the cruise.  Don't think our status had anything to do with it at all, we didn't bring it up and neither did he.

I had the calculations done and told the rep.  I also had called Royal on Saturday and asked the question and was told then that we would get 75% refund (just paid cruise off on March 3) and 25% FCC.  I wasn't ready to cancel at that time.  I think I said all the right things to rep, but I didn't get mad or anything.  I'm fairly assertive.  I had been on hold for an hour and a half and it was well past my bedtime.  lol.  I guess the best advice would be if you don't get what you want to call back and maybe have better luck.

I have several open bookings whereby there are deposits waiting to be applied.  Just using these figures as a point of reference - 

$250 open booking deposit paid onboard a royal ship via credit card.

cruise cost $200

taxes $50

if the above were cancelled, would I realise a $50 card refund and a $200 fcc?

thanks

💐🙏

I have a sailing April 23. Paid in full. If we cancel within the 75% window (march 24th)- I am understanding that i'd get 75% FCC, 25% back on Credit card and taxes/port fees on credit card as well?

Or since I'm past final payment is it 100% FCC and taxes/port fees on credit card?

So confusing! Fingers crossed we don't need to cancel, but grandma (healthy) is 77, so probably not wise....

47 minutes ago, MichellePerth said:

If someone has booked a free pinnacle cruise (these are normally not changeable), does anyone know if that amount (about $2400) would be issued as a FCC if the member decides to cancel?  Thank you. 🙏💐

I just had my travel agent check this for me and she was told they would reissue the pinnacle free cruise certificate.  I let them know I was over in the higher risk age group, but I don't know if that affected their decision.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:20 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

And yes the entire reservation is cancelled and you will get a cancel number and DO NOT HANG UP WITHOUT IT.

I won't be getting a cancel email only an FCC email.  get the cancel number!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also go over the math please everyone and make sure you agree with what they are telling you.

Just reading this now  I asked twice about a cancellation number and the agent said there is none.  I didn't get an email per se for the cruise cancellation but did get emails for the cancelled excursions, shows and drink package.

What worried me this morning is that I logged into cruise planner and the cancelled cruise still shows.  I called back (after 40 min wait) and the agent said this is ok as the FCC has to be processed.  

Just checking that others have the same?

6 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Just reading this now  I asked twice about a cancellation number and the agent said there is none.  I didn't get an email per se for the cruise cancellation but did get emails for the cancelled excursions, shows and drink package.

What worried me this morning is that I logged into cruise planner and the cancelled cruise still shows.  I called back (after 40 min wait) and the agent said this is ok as the FCC has to be processed.  

Just checking that others have the same?

Same with me. I canceled yesterday before 2 and my cruise planner cancelation came this morning for my shows and wifi package. Hope this does not mean that my cancellation wasn't processed yesterday. My understanding is that a 2, the rules changed. I called at 1:14 and the call lasted 43 minutes so I am before the 2pm policy change. When did you get your cruise planner cancelation email?

10 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Same with me. I canceled yesterday before 2 and my cruise planner cancelation came this morning for my shows and wifi package. Hope this does not mean that my cancellation wasn't processed yesterday. My understanding is that a 2, the rules changed. I called at 1:14 and the call lasted 43 minutes so I am before the 2pm policy change. When did you get your cruise planner cancelation email?

Got the cruise planner cancellations when on the phone with the Royal agent.

Then later in the evening I got another email "Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean. We're thrilled you've chosen to sail with us".  Talk about confusing 

1 hour ago, MindyJohn said:

I just had my travel agent check this for me and she was told they would reissue the pinnacle free cruise certificate.  I let them know I was over in the higher risk age group, but I don't know if that affected their decision.

Thanks for that. Somehow I doubt the age of the pinnacle matters.  Too many moving parts.  😁💐

One thing I’m curious about is why people are letting royal deal with their cruise planner refunds.  A month ago, I moved deposits from my April and May Europe cruises.  Before I called, I went in and cancelled everything.  I don’t have anything booked between now and 31 July, but if I did, I’d cancel it all myself.  It sounds like they are under the pump.  Fewer moving parts.

just got an alert. We are now in a global pandemic.  

1 hour ago, barbiecruiser27 said:

I have a sailing April 23. Paid in full. If we cancel within the 75% window (march 24th)- I am understanding that i'd get 75% FCC, 25% back on Credit card and taxes/port fees on credit card as well?

Or since I'm past final payment is it 100% FCC and taxes/port fees on credit card?

So confusing! Fingers crossed we don't need to cancel, but grandma (healthy) is 77, so probably not wise....

My understanding is that you currently have two basic options:  (1) cancel under the standard cancellation policy, whereby you get 25% refunded to your credit card and you will forfeit the remaining 75% as a penalty; or (2) cancel and receive a 100% FCC, except for (I think) the taxes/port fees, which will (I think) be refunded to your credit card.

Finally, if you have a travel insurance policy that includes a waiver for pre-existing medical conditions and your doctor writes you a letter advising that you should not travel because, for example, your immune system is compromised due to an illness or ongoing treatments (i.e., chemotherapy) for an existing condition (i.e., cancer), then you can: (1) cancel under the standard cancellation policy and get the 25% refunded to your credit card and (2) make a claim on your travel insurance policy for the remaining 75%.

so I cancelled on SAT evening and today I got an email saying that because my status is in cancel mode., they will generate a credit for my 4 shore excursions that I pre purchased back to my credit card.  so that took 3-4 days.  I have not checked to see if my credit card got the base fare credit because in normal situations it takes 5-7 days to post.  So I will be patient

I was told NO EMAIL ON JUST THAT FACT THAT YOU CANCELLED, but will get email on cruise planner stuff and then with a couple of weeks or so an email on FCC.

Again, if you are on line with RCI directly, they have the cancel number in front of them and ASK for is.

BTW I am on Symphony on April 25 and I have not cancelled yet, but boy are the PRICES WAY DOWN.  WOW.

so if ya want to travel on 25th, take a look,  But I do not see any pricing going down for the summer.  

toodles all   And the phone lines will be busier now than over the weekend because of the media suggestion for cruising.

personally I wish they would tone it down and stop scaring all folks from cruising.

9 minutes ago, MichellePerth said:

One thing I’m curious about is why people are letting royal deal with their cruise planner refunds.  A month ago, I moved deposits from my April and May Europe cruises.  Before I called, I went in and cancelled everything.  I don’t have anything booked between now and 31 July, but if I did, I’d cancel it all myself.  It sounds like they are under the pump.  Fewer moving parts.

just got an alert. We are now in a global pandemic.  

well once a cruise is fully and paid for, when you call to cancel, the WHOLE RESERVATION is under them to handle.

Like I said, within 4 days I got the email and the credits are coming.   your situation is a bit different.

12 hours ago, velmasue said:

Sounds like you got your call in before the 2 PM meeting or whatever it was.    Good for you!

I called tonight and am 80 days out so should have been 25/75  FCC/Refund  but they would not budge.  It doesn't matter for rules but we are Diamond Plus.

While I feel your pain and for me I WAS surprised to get 50% money back, I think RCI is trying to keep their finances and stock from self exploding,  That said you have an FCC that you can now use over the next year and a half and look for good prices.

There will be good prices so have fun searching on a weekly basis.   I  understand you would have liked to get more money back,

but at the same time, RCI needs all the loyal royals to  understand and stick it out for now.

toodles

10 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

While I feel your pain and for me I WAS surprised to get 50% money back, I think RCI is trying to keep their finances and stock from self exploding,  That said you have an FCC that you can now use over the next year and a half and look for good prices.

There will be good prices so have fun searching on a weekly basis.   I  understand you would have liked to get more money back,

but at the same time, RCI needs all the loyal royals to  understand and stick it out for now.

toodles

I am not a loyal anything. I just go for the best price. I have yet to see a rewards program that has perks good enough to inspire loyalty. Hope I get my 50% refund as promised when I was on the phone yesterday before 2.