For Those of Us NOT Cancelling and Sailing Soon

susanf31

16 minutes ago, pfm18 said:

Spend twice as much time in the buffet as usual so I don’t catch coronavirus off all these people avoiding the buffet 

I was thinking the same thing.  Might just take my plate back to my room and eat there - I do that often anyway.

On 3/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Nothing new. I always take healthcare grade Clorox wipes (I get the ones with peroxide not bleach just in case it would open in my luggage, my clothes won’t get ruined), Lysol spray and Purell. Always have packed these items since a norovirus outbreak on the gem when I was on it.  

Norovirus is not killed by alcohol-based cleansers or sanitizers as you described. Only handwashing and bleach are effective against it, which is why it's so persistent. If you're specifically concerned about norovirus, just wash your hands often and as soon as you return to your cabin (before touching anything in there). The peroxide-based wipes would also do the trick for surfaces.

Alcohol-based cleansers ARE believed to be effective against COVID-19 and the flu, which is why I still rely on using them when I don't have the ability to wash my hands or use bleach.

Edited by bigcitypirate
Added comment on hydrogen peroxide

16 hours ago, gizfish said:

Wiping your dining utensils with lysol wipes will make you sick.  Both popular brands of wipes are very clear that they not be used like that and that any surface they are used on that contacts food has to be washed down.

I called today and was told that they will have staff serving us from the buffet now. .Great Call ! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Getaway Gal13 said:

i also heard to use your own lavatory vs the public restrooms whenever you can.

That's kinda my SOP anyway!  But I love the solitude of my balcony, so I'm not out and about on the ship that much.

But to add to the list of things to take - my own salt.  People are reporting that more and more of the buffets are no longer self serve.  On a previous cruise that went to that mode, they took the salt shakers and you had to get a paper-cup with salt.  Plus if you eat in your room (like I often do) it's something to have if you are in the habit of salting your food.  I've got a small camping salt shaker that I can put in my pocket.

Also for those of you who use sugar or other sweeteners, you may have to ask for those as well, so a personal supply isn't a bad idea.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 8:39 PM, Cruisercl said:

So, how many cruises in the past few months/weeks that have taken place, on how many cruise lines that had no issues or people with the virus? It appears there are quite a few; how many are there with issues, 2 or 3? 

It also appears that the cruiselines and the cruisers are stepping up to ensure a clean cruise for all. All should be commended for their efforts. I believe people are trying to do the right thing for the greater good. My thanks to you all.

Just a thought.......

Safe cruising all! 😊

This is a very good point. There must have been dozens of cruises from Florida alone that have gone out and come back with no drama.  The cruise line with the problems f'ed up badly at the beginning as far as I can tell, but the others have put in place good protocols (probably based on years of noro experience!) and things have been fine.  

• Like 1

Hopefully leaving on the Getaway on the 29th!  I'm so weary of all the negativity and hype!!! I just need some sunshine and salty water!! (big sigh) Praying things will calm down. I'm not trying to be an idiot we are bringing wipes and washing our hands diligently too.  The media makes me so mad.  One ship outside of CA has an issue. (not counting those in the orient) Meanwhile hundreds are currently out at sea with no problems!! I might go crazy waiting for cruise day! lol

18 hours ago, wampuscat7 said:

Just FYI for those who might still be on the fence about upcoming trips. "COVID-19 Travel Update: Fauci Says Cruising Is OK If You Are Healthy"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan/2020/03/09/fauci-says-cruising-is-ok-if-you-are-healthy/?fbclid=IwAR3CkM4UR0f97ez3-eAT1E9PV6Jzdl54ClrabeRdWMRfL50Mdhs5ghsApnA#11777f42d4de

Seems like some back peddling going on in this article.  The other day the USG put out a blanket statement advising people not to cruise.  I don't recall anything being said about this statement taken from the article:

"Vice President Mike Pence then followed up Fauci by saying advice to avoid vacations at sea was targeted to older people with “serious underlying conditions.”

Consistency of message is the only thing that will help stabilize the cruise industry.  And so far, the message has been anything but consistent.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Seems like some back peddling going on in this article.  The other day the USG put out a blanket statement advising people not to cruise.  I don't recall anything being said about this statement taken from the article:

"Vice President Mike Pence then followed up Fauci by saying advice to avoid vacations at sea was targeted to older people with “serious underlying conditions.”

Consistency of message is the only thing that will help stabilize the cruise industry.  And so far, the message has been anything but consistent.

good to hear! Praying we will all be soaking up some much needed VD on the beach soon! 😊

• Like 1

We're going on the Encore on March 22nd. I heard on a current Encore cruise that all "public gatherings" were canceled. Does that mean no comedy shows, music, glow party etc???  Not quite the cruise experience if that is the case. Any insight from you guys?

3 minutes ago, HadleyG said:

We're going on the Encore on March 22nd. I heard on a current Encore cruise that all "public gatherings" were canceled. Does that mean no comedy shows, music, glow party etc???  Not quite the cruise experience if that is the case. Any insight from you guys?

Any night on the ship could be considered a public gathering.  Not good, if that's the case.  Hopefully someone will chime in who is actually on Encore now.

11 minutes ago, TenForward said:

I see the global COVID-19 map that Johns Hopkins is maintaining has added a category for "Cruise Ship" as if it were a country. 

They had that category before. It was just titled "Diamond Princess". I guess they renamed it to include the people in the Grand Princess as well?

33 minutes ago, zippydo1 said:

I’m on the Breakaway now and all activities are going on as usual.   No self serve, paper menus, restroom doors left open, crew is wiping railings etc constantly and washywashy in full force!

You mean there aren't a whole bunch of Zombies walking around moaning,drooling and putting their fingers in the Indian Curry dishes in the buffet?   Crazy stuff.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zippydo1 said:

I’m on the Breakaway now and all activities are going on as usual.   No self serve, paper menus, restroom doors left open, crew is wiping railings etc constantly and washywashy in full force!

Good to know. We sail on the Breakaway on Mar 21st. Hoping everything stays status quo. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HadleyG said:

I sail in the Encore on 3/15. Someone on our sailing is currently on the Pearl and said “public gatherings” are cancelled, so that’s probably where that came from. Passengers currently on the Encore say it’s business as usual. That person on the Pearl hasn’t responded to questions about what “public gatherings” means, but reports from every other ship I’ve seen say everything is normal (with the exception of the additional precautions they’re taking)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

If they are saying that half the world may end up getting this damn virus at some point, what's the point of trying to avoid it?  Are we not as likely to get it sitting at a bar these days?

You are 100% correct in my opinion, to a point.  If we isolate ourselves, we do not acquire immunity and a virus isn't something we can see, so unless the source and all the carriers are wiped out (not likely to happen) or a vaccine/cure is developed, we are all at risk, as it only takes a single source to start it all over again.  If people are careful, there is a chance that high risk individuals will be protected before a vaccine is developed.  But think measles, chicken pox, mumps - when I was a kid it was accepted to get exposed, get sick while you were young and healthy, and you never had to worry about it again because of natural immunity.  None of those diseases are wiped out but are controlled by vaccines and herd immunity.  They come back in areas where people have no immunity, natural or otherwise.

• Like 1