For Those of Us NOT Cancelling and Sailing Soon

susanf31

It’s not so much about going on the cruise and getting the virus it’s about the impacts after.  People are getting off the cruise with no sign of the virus but have infected many others. Most cases in Canada and I believe the US including seniors homes has originated from someone that went on a cruise.   The people on the cruise might be healthy but the people they impact might not have a great immune system.  

• Like 1

We may bring some additional clothes. If we were quarantined, chances are it would not be on the cruise ship for long. Sounds like Grand Princess folks are being sent to various quarantine locations. I'm planning to take a supply of various meds, which I normally do anyway. And possibly my work laptop for a worst case scenario. 

Also lotion because my skin doesn't do well with all the washing and alcohol-based sanitizer. 

I'm not booked yet, but I'm on the verge of booking a solo cruise on the Bliss in April. The new policy gives me piece of mind that if things change in the next few weeks I can take the 100% FCC.  I'll be a bit more diligent than usual with touching stuff, hand washing, etc. but I'll still be spending time in the spa.  I plan to bring Lysol wipes, extra meds, etc, but no hazmat suits 😉  I also plan on booking a balcony, but I've been in a balcony on about 50% of my cruises, so that's not unusual for me.  

On my last cruise, my final destination was a flu hot-spot.  Cruise before that there were several instances of norovirus.  So I stocked up on all the cleaning/disinfectant supplies and all the appropriate OTC cold/flu stuff and just take that on every trip.  I do have gloves and masks, but for cleaning (highly sensitive to certain smells), not eating and just walking around.  But I'm also adding hand soap - not all public restrooms are well maintained and those soap dispensers do get empty sometimes.  And of course extra meds.

For my upcoming trip(s), I will plan for a quarantine - not expecting it, based on the information from the current cruisers - but I'd rather be prepared just in case.  So that means taking care of things at home as well - arrangements for pets, bills to be paid, contact info so I can cancel any appointments or travel plans if need be.  And laundry detergent if I have to wash clothes - ship has laundry facilities but could be quarantined somewhere else.

I'm also packing a few small needlepoint projects just in case I'm confined to my cabin (balcony) - maybe a good time to learn a new hobby - download the instructions before you leave! Or ebooks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, susanf31 said:

For those of us NOT cancelling and sailing soon. We are on the Encore - 3/22.

What precautions are you taking?  For me, I'm bringing rubber gloves that I will wear when touching any buffet serving utensil.  I'm bringing lots of Clorox wipes and will wipe down all surfaces in my cabin. I will be not being going in the pool or hottubs.  I will be diligent to press elevation buttons with my knuckle or elbow.  I will be diligent not to use handrails unless absolutely necessary.  I will avoid crowds and instead seek more solitude.  And, of course, lots and lots of handwashing and hand sanitizer.  

Rubber gloves?  Seriously? For heaven's sake just wash your hands when you enter the buffet and then wash them right before you eat.  It's not such a big deal to just go wash at the sinks after touching utensils!  

And not using handrails?  The risk of falling and seriously injuring yourself and others by not using the handrails while the ship is moving is higher than getting a virus.

Also, there is no reason to not go in the pools and hot tubs.  You don't get Covid through immersing, and those venues are chlorinated.  Chlorine (bleach) kills Covid and most other germs.

You are so overthinking this that you would probably be more relaxed on a stay-cation.

• Like 6

These numbers are ONLY the numbers from the US:

52,000 people died from the flu in the 2019-2020 season in the US (1 Oct 2019 to 29 Feb 2020)

620,000 people were hospitalized from the flu in the US.

23,000,000 people went to the doctor for the flu in the US.

49,000,000 people are estimated to have had the flu in the US.

Worldwide Coronavirus counts:

109,723 documented cases, estimates are between 5 and 8 times that number of actual cases.

3,802 deaths, estimates are approximately another 10%, or less than 400, deaths that were not identified.

Of the 44,961 cases still active, 86% are classified as mild.

Of the 64,762 cases that are considered resolved, 6% resulted in death, 94% resulted in recovery and discharge.

This is a new virus, but it isn't as bad as the media frenzy is making it out to be. The regular flu killed 13 times more people in the US alone than the new Coronavirus has killed worldwide.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We carried on as usual, however, I did wash my hands way more than I've ever done in the past and for longer periods of time.  On previous sailings I relied heavily on the hand sanitizers outside all the venues.  And because we always take the stairs, I traveled with a paper napkin in my purse that I used to hold on to the hand rails and would throw away when finished.  That's about it...no mask, no rubber gloves, etc.  

This is why I LOVE CC! Great idea with the paper napkins for the railings. I have a pack here at home that are larger so the whole hand will be covered then throw away. I like to take the stairs because of....duh....desserts and I have to hold tight to the railings because of a previously broken foot that never made it back to 100% 😉👍

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DarkJedi said:

These numbers are ONLY the numbers from the US:

52,000 people died from the flu in the 2019-2020 season in the US (1 Oct 2019 to 29 Feb 2020)

620,000 people were hospitalized from the flu in the US.

23,000,000 people went to the doctor for the flu in the US.

49,000,000 people are estimated to have had the flu in the US.

Worldwide Coronavirus counts:

109,723 documented cases, estimates are between 5 and 8 times that number of actual cases.

3,802 deaths, estimates are approximately another 10%, or less than 400, deaths that were not identified.

Of the 44,961 cases still active, 86% are classified as mild.

Of the 64,762 cases that are considered resolved, 6% resulted in death, 94% resulted in recovery and discharge.

This is a new virus, but it isn't as bad as the media frenzy is making it out to be. The regular flu killed 13 times more people in the US alone than the new Coronavirus has killed worldwide.

Thank you!!! I work in an ER and all weekend everyone coming in was so fixed on the whole Covid-19. When we asked about why they aren’t worried about the flu, due to these same statistics, we would just get dumbfounded looks. Yes, no one wants to get sick but as many doctors on all the news channels reported, you need to prepare and have good hand hygiene just like with the flu. 

• Like 4

Less than a week out now! We depart 03/14/20 and friends and family think we are crazy! Oh well. First, thank God we have a balcony! I am packing some different things for this cruise because a quarantine is a possibility. 

We both plan on taking our Laptops (neither of us can work remotely, but for entertainment), headphones, 3 weeks of meds, the usual OTC stuff (just in case), Large paper dinner napkins for handrails, Clorox wipes, ziplock bag for TV remote, my own hand sanitizer (because I hate to come across an empty thingy on board), my robe because if I do get stuck or sick, I want it, same thing with a big hoody, sweats, big t-shirt and slippers (don't usually take these). I also have a couple of books for each of us, magazines, playing cards and UNO. Fortunately the Hubs and I still get along after 33 years together, so it wouldn't be horrible, of course unless one or both of us did get really sick and even then, we could have caught the damn virus at the grocery or gas station just as easily 😉

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Currently, NCL is allowing self service in the buffet. There was a brief period at the beginning where they were not allowing self-service fleet wide, but that only lasted a week or two.

just got off getaway today, buffet was self serve.

Think I will add straws to my list (paper or reusable, don't freak out.  I live in Oregon and I don't think we even have plastic ones!).  People do touch the rims of glasses when serving or in my case the can of soda.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I will stick with my normal cruise hygiene habits, as I am not really any more concerned about COVID-19 than I am about any flu or norovirus. However, I may bring some extra meds and am contemplating bringing my laptop in case I get stuck in quarantine and need to work while away. I sail on the Bliss next weekend.

We just boarded the Getaway in New Orleans here was our good experience:

1. Temperature scan for all and hand stamp that your screen is complete.

2. Each adult fills out a health screen form and a second form for specific COVID-19 questions. 

3. At check-in the agent took our passports to a separate table for what appeared to be a scan of places we have visited. 

4. Cards were collected or printed after that step and cards and passports returned. 

5. Next was boarding ship as usual with our seapass cards.

We are planning to use normal hygiene with extra hand sanitizer usage, fist bumps no handshakes or high fives. I too have my laptop in case I experience a travel delay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We're sailing next month. We have no intention of cancelling right now. 

In general, we normally carry an extra week of prescription meds (basically an extra 7-day pill minder) "just in case" we are delayed on the ship or on land returning home. ... may carry an extra two weeks of meds on the cruise next week...

And we normally carry a make-up bag of OTC drugs (tylenol, advil, imodium, allergy meds, etc.). Not necessarily because we plan to get sick, but we get a bit too much sun or too much adult beverage or some funky local foods and being able to take a tablet never hurts. 

wrt to rubber gloves, what you need to do is wash your hands, washy washy your hands before you actually start eating. 

Yes, this was my first thought...always bring extra meds just in case but will also do an extra 2 weeks at least. That would be my biggest stressor. 

52 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Thank you!!! I work in an ER and all weekend everyone coming in was so fixed on the whole Covid-19. When we asked about why they aren’t worried about the flu, due to these same statistics, we would just get dumbfounded looks. Yes, no one wants to get sick but as many doctors on all the news channels reported, you need to prepare and have good hand hygiene just like with the flu. 

The news last night made a point of showing the statistics on the flu versus Corona. I think we are putting too much blame on media for the panic and false info...we are doing all that just fine on our own as per usual.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

2. Each adult fills out a health screen form and a second form for specific COVID-19 questions. 

3. At check-in the agent took our passports to a separate table for what appeared to be a scan of places we have visited. 

4. Cards were collected or printed after that step and cards and passports returned. 

We are planning to use normal hygiene with extra hand sanitizer usage, fist bumps no handshakes or high fives. I too have my laptop in case I experience a travel delay.

This is exactly what happened to us when we embarked the Spirit in Civitavecchia on Feb 14 for the Rome - Dubai cruise.

Also the Washy-Washy people were in full force at the entrances to Garden Café and noone could skip them. 

• Like 1

Here’s what NCL has in the passenger contract regarding quarantine:  “ In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising.“

This is common across many if not all lines.  Doesn’t sound like any line has enforced it at this time, but ...  

It’s possible cruise lines might emphasize this clause prior to boarding; I wouldn’t be surprised.    Quarantine is an expensive endeavor.  At this time it’s a serious consideration, not a thing for passengers to plan for with extra soap and some Sudoko.

54 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

This is exactly what happened to us when we embarked the Spirit in Civitavecchia on Feb 14 for the Rome - Dubai cruise.

Also the Washy-Washy people were in full force at the entrances to Garden Café and noone could skip them. 

Great point there was washy just prior stepping onboard too. I tend to use the sinks at the buffet rather than washy washy.

33 minutes ago, greenbeanie said:

Here’s what NCL has in the passenger contract regarding quarantine:  “ In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising.“

This is common across many if not all lines.  Doesn’t sound like any line has enforced it at this time, but ...  

It’s possible cruise lines might emphasize this clause prior to boarding; I wouldn’t be surprised.    Quarantine is an expensive endeavor.  At this time it’s a serious consideration, not a thing for passengers to plan for with extra soap and some Sudoko.

So we need to add many dollars to the list! 😷

I hope NCL does not allow rubber gloves. There is no way for NCL to control the cleanliness of gloves brought to the buffet by you or me. Just not a good idea, in my opinion.

Thank you!

“Rubber “ gloves are a false sense of security and actually are worse than bare hands!!! I wouldn’t allow them in the buffet either. Or anywhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 hours ago, Nola26 said:

So, I guess aside from actual testing for Covid-19, they have to play the odds....

1. You or I could have the virus but not present a fever at embarkation.

2. You or I could have the virus, even though we honestly or dishonestly answer their questionnaire.

3. You or I could still have the virus even if you pass their geography test.

Interesting approach. I guess they are doing the best they can to balance continued operations while trying to reduce the probability that someone boards the ship while infected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjcatlvr said:

Fortunately the Hubs and I still get along after 33 years together, so it wouldn't be horrible, of course unless one or both of us did get really sick and even then, we could have caught the damn virus at the grocery or gas station just as easily 😉

First off, I hope for safe travels and good health for you.

Yes, you can catch the virus at your local gas station. What is different, however, is that if you become infected while out of the country, you will likely have a lot of logistical challenges to deal with, especially in light of the warning that was issued by the Dept of State. As long as you understand and accept the risks with going against that directive, then definitely proceed with your vacation.

9 hours ago, david_sobe said:

IMHO all the masks, rubber gloves, and other panic items are silly.  Its out of our hands.   The issue is letting someone exposed that is allowed to board.  No fear of coronavirus but its the quarantine that is the horrible part.  Was just watching the news this morning and there is a local sheriff's deputy who retired after 35 years of service.  As a retirement gift, he was given a cruise.  Now he is quarantined off the coast of CA.  He is upset and right to be.  There were exposed passengers that got off the cruise ahead of him yet they allowed the next cruise to embark and now they are stuck.  Rubber gloves are not going to help you when you are locked in your room.

You mean...truck loads of toilet paper are not necessary???? Lol

• Like 1

So, how many cruises in the past few months/weeks that have taken place, on how many cruise lines that had no issues or people with the virus? It appears there are quite a few; how many are there with issues, 2 or 3? 

It also appears that the cruiselines and the cruisers are stepping up to ensure a clean cruise for all. All should be commended for their efforts. I believe people are trying to do the right thing for the greater good. My thanks to you all.

Just a thought.......

Safe cruising all! 😊

• Like 1