Liberty Of The Sea - First Cruise on a larger ship

This a multi-question post so hope it's not too complicated. My wife and I have only cruised Princess several times and one Carnival (Mexican Riviera cruise). First off we're spoiled to death now by having a suite on our Panama Canal trip last year. Like flying first class on an airline. It's tough to go back to coach. I figure it this way..... if you've got it. DO IT!!! People that want to scrimp and save, have at it. But live large if you can. It's fun. So for the first questiondoes anyone know if the same perks exist for suites on Royal Caribbean as Princess? i.e my wife is not clear on complementary laundry service. We had that on our Panama Canal cruise and didn't think we would even use it but we did and it was AWESOME!!! Our second concern (not really a concern but being prepared) the size of the ship: This is a mega ship, right? Much larger and likely more activity and longer lines for things? Any tips or suggestions to deal with that kind of thing? We are booked on Liberty because we're joining my son and his family to celebrate my granddaughters college graduation. We just want to get the vibe and any words of wisdom that may be out there. We're leaving from Galveston and have no clue on where to stay (or not stay) the night before. Anything ya'all got.... bring it. We  would love to hear from you. 

We leave October 2020

Thank You

Edited by The Big Lebowski

35 minutes ago, The Big Lebowski said:

This a multi-question post so hope it's not too complicated. My wife and I have only cruised Princess several times and one Carnival (Mexican Riviera cruise). First off we're spoiled to death now by having a suite on our Panama Canal trip last year. Like flying first class on an airline. It's tough to go back to coach. I figure it this way..... if you've got it. DO IT!!! People that want to scrimp and save, have at it. But live large if you can. It's fun. So for the first questiondoes anyone know if the same perks exist for suites on Royal Caribbean as Princess? i.e my wife is not clear on complementary laundry service. We had that on our Panama Canal cruise and didn't think we would even use it but we did and it was AWESOME!!! Our second concern (not really a concern but being prepared) the size of the ship: This is a mega ship, right? Much larger and likely more activity and longer lines for things? Any tips or suggestions to deal with that kind of thing? We are booked on Liberty because we're joining my son and his family to celebrate my granddaughters college graduation. We just want to get the vibe and any words of wisdom that may be out there. We're leaving from Galveston and have no clue on where to stay (or not stay) the night before. Anything ya'all got.... bring it. We  would love to hear from you. 

We leave October 2020

Thank You

Grand suites and above get some nice perks but for junior suites the perks are limited. The ship is huge but doesn't really ever feel crowded except for boarding and debarkation days.....and of course lunch times in the buffet on sea days. I've only ever cruised Royal so I can't compare for you but I was hooked with my first one and haven't had a reason to try another.....yet. It may come soon though as our last cruise (Allure) was lacking the WOW factor for us. 

I have sailed on the liberty out of Galveston we had an aft 2 bedroom suite.  You do not get free laundry on Royal. We also just sailed this February on Regal in an aft penthouse suite. We had issues with soot on both ships, not bad but enough to be a double check before you sit out on balcony.

the perks are about the same, in room dinning from main restaurant. From both concierge lounge on both priority boarding on both Princess give you specialty dinner reservation on first night.

If you go to ROyals web site it is pretty easy to find a list os suite perks, just remember they are different from Oasis class ship.  No lost all kitchen. You do get breakfast in a reserved restaurant which is nice. Reserved theatre seats.

i liked Liberty better than Regal but I like to wonder and have this to do Liberty has lots to do.

agian both site give pdf document that you can print out with all the details.  Hope this help, have fun.  Can’t remember were we stayed in Galveston but it was on the beach!

Agree I always stay on the beach, but I hear habor house is nice. Harbor house if you face the port you can watch the ship come in in the morning. It's a historical type hotel next to the port and pricey. Sometimes you have to go thru another site and not book direct as booking direct requires a 2 night stay. But for most of us. Staying across the street from the ocean is a good choice.

The ship I was on, regular suites and above had a concierge to book stuff for you, champagne etc. Yes there is a breakfast just for suites, but the concierge suite lounge was nice. It's been a while and lots complained about a section by the pool for suites. Dont know if they still have it. Even the theater had seats blocked off for suites.

There are several nice hotels like Tremont if harbor house is too pricey (300 to 400 range and can run higher). Depends when you are going and how busy Galveston is. 

Theres a good place to eat by harbor house and a good seafood place across the the beach. The seafood place Saturday night has a terrible line, make a reservation.. guidos. The wait was 2 hours last time I tried to walk in and eat.

Edited by firefly333

I recently sailed on Liberty and have been on other size Royal Caribbean ships. 

When Liberty was launched it was the largest cruise ship in the world, but now RC has bigger ships that I would consider "mega" and wouldn't put Liberty in that class. We docked in Cozumel right next to the Harmony of the Seas and the difference was obvious.

Even though the ship is large the lines are not long, except maybe for the Flow Rider. And the ice show can fill up to capacity so get there early. Sometimes the Windjammer buffet is crowded and you have to search for a table. Otherwise there is so much to do that people are spread out around the ship. (You can get breakfast and sometimes lunch in the main dining room if Windjammer is too crowded for you.)

There are some great perks to having a suite, we were in a grand suite. Every night we went to the suite lounge before dinner for hors d'oeuvres and drinks (free). After dinner we went for desserts and drinks. The bar tenders will take great care of you, be sure to tip them at the end of the week. The lounge was crowded on the first night but after that we had no problem getting a seat. You will meet a number of Pinnacle passengers who also use the suite lounge, some had been on the ship for many consecutive weeks, maybe still there when you sail. 

The suites have reserved seating at the pool, so we were always able to get a lounge chair. 

(Now re-reading your post, maybe you don't have a suite on Liberty?)

In any case, even without a suite, don't worry about crowds. You'll have a great time, be sure to sample everything the ship has to offer. Go to the shows at night, the parties in the Royal Promenade (70's party, 80's party), and make sure you see the ice skating show.

As far as Galveston, there is an entire forum here on Cruise Critic devoted to Gulf Coast departures where you'll find all kinds of information about hotels and transportation between the airport and the ship. It's located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

October is off-season in Galveston, hotel prices are lower, so fly in the day before and spend the night in a Galveston hotel. 

12 minutes ago, The Big Lebowski said:

We do have a suite and just purchased our drink packages. We are seasoned professionals and enjoy cruising. We're looking forward to the trip and most likely the Coronavirus scare will be over by then. 

Well you will certainly get all you want to drink then lol, but not have to get free drinks in the lounge. 

I only did a junior suite, which isnt treated like a suite perks wise. But saw where suites had their breakfast, as it was roped off and a sign. Looked in the concierge lounge, but it may be the same lounge as diamonds use. I was on oasis.

April 26th will be my first time on Liberty OTS. 

But I've been out of Galveston too many times to count. Last time was Nov, and hotels were sky high. Some big fishing tournament and some booked conventions. No hotels under $100, the good ones sky high. Someone forgot to tell them it was off season. Only January did I get really good hotel rates.

The strand is a lot of touristy Galveston stuff by the port. I usually walk on the boardwalk along the ocean. Hotels are on the other side of the street that face the ocean. Lots of history there.

I think I've been in the same class as liberty but been on so many ships get them confused, but people say the food and entertainment is better on liberty than on smaller Enchantment. 

Book chops. Their steak is the best. I got surf and turf and my lobster was undercooked, but the steak has always been to die for. Some love the Italian place to eat. I've been, but italian isnt my thing, let down after chops for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Big Lebowski said:

We do have a suite and just purchased our drink packages. We are seasoned professionals and enjoy cruising. We're looking forward to the trip and most likely the Coronavirus scare will be over by then. 

Grand or Junior? 

Liberty has some nice perks for grand suites and above. We did grand suites twice on that ship. We also bought drink package. 
suite lounge is very nice 

reserved seating by the pool

reserved seating for ice show

breakfast in specialty restaurant 

If available free luggage direct 

concierge will walk you off ship at disembarking.

grand suite is really nice with good size balcony and large bathroom with double sinks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Liberty has some nice perks for grand suites and above. We did grand suites twice on that ship. We also bought drink package. 
suite lounge is very nice 

reserved seating by the pool

reserved seating for ice show

breakfast in specialty restaurant 

If available free luggage direct 

concierge will walk you off ship at disembarking.

grand suite is really nice with good size balcony and large bathroom with double sinks. 

George, did you actually sail on the Liberty and use Luggage Valet?  I did not think  that it was available in Galveston.

26 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

George, did you actually sail on the Liberty and use Luggage Valet?  I did not think  that it was available in Galveston.

No that why I added if available, it seems to be on some ships on some ports on both celebrity and rccl and not on others. I do know it is a free perk if it is offered and was 25 per person if not.

We haven’t sailed Liberty yet but we were on Oasis in the middle of summer and there were no lines anywhere. I think the bigger ships actually have more places for people to spread out more, rather than it causing more lines. 

• 1 month later...

Been out of Galveston three times now with two of those on Liberty.  First one was on NavigatorOTS (before she got amped).  We LOVE LibertyOTS and will be sad when she leaves.  Liberty is perfect, not too big, and not too small.  The shows do fill up pretty quick, but if you are in a suite, there is reserved seating for shows.  As stated above I'm not going to restate what the perks are.

We usually go down the Friday before we set sail on Sunday.  We cruise in the summer and hotels in Galveston can get expensive so we stay in the Webster area (about a 25-30 drive to port).  You have NASA Space Center (if you go bring your walking shoes!!), Kemah Boardwalk, and other activities in that area.  On Saturday, go wonder around Galveston as there is a ton of stuff to do.  It is just a matter of researching to see what you and your family would like to do.  Murdochs (at 23rd and Seawall Blvd) is an awesome historical shop built over the water.  It keeps getting hit by hurricanes and they keep rebuilding it.  Pleasure Pier is at 25th and Seawall Blvd which is pretty cool.  I know this wasn't much, but I hope it helps you out!